GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has taken quite a bit of digging to figure out how to remove both the front and rear headrests of my brand new used car! I hope it may be helpful for someone else to have all that in one place, so I'm posting it here. The Volt parts are not interchangeable with other Chevy parts -- no little holes or clips that you may see referenced in general Chevy posts.

I wanted to swap out the rear for the front headrests because the angle and size of the front headrest is very uncomfortable for my head and neck. In fact, if I were in an accident, the headrest would make my face tilt towards the steering wheel, and I would get the airbag directly in my face. It's a bonus that removing the rear headrests gives me much more visibility. I now have both rear headrests on the front seats, and no headrests on the rear. I've tucked the unused front headrests into the pockets on the backs of the front seats, and they can go right onto the back seats if I have passengers back there. Another bonus is that having the headrests swapped means they slide right out and I don't have to fight with all the weird hidden buttons and loops (more on that in a minute). Final bonus -- I turned my driver's-side (formerly rear) headrest around so that it slants at a different angle; you could do this with any headrest on any seat. Much less uncomfortable. With thanks to all the other posters who helped me understand how to do this, and from whose work I am borrowing liberally:

REMOVING FRONT HEADRESTS: You need tape and a very slender screwdriver, like a jeweler's, or other strong but slim thing that can be inserted into a tiny recessed metal loop. You may need pliers.

1. Use the button on the side to raise as far as you can.

2. Unscrew the plastic washers at the base of the posts counterclockwise; I needed pliers for one of them. Tape them up so they stay out of the way.

3. Pull the leather or cloth gently so that you can look down the hole that the headrest post is in. Notice a metal loop about 1" (2 cm) down into the headrest post hole (the loop will be at the "4 o'clock" position if you're kneeling on the front seat facing the headrest).

4. Put your little screwdriver into the brass-colored loop and carefully pull the loop backwards while pulling up on the headrest. Pull the headrest up as much as it'll go. This should "unlock" the side that you're currently working on.

5. Now do the same exact thing to the other headrest post while pulling up on the headrest. Don't let the side you just did click back down! I did this alone, and the hardest part was getting my screwdriver into the loop.

6. The seat may need to be tilted forward to have enough room to fully pull the headrest out. You can put it in backwards if you like. You can also put it on a rear seat, backwards and forwards.

REAR HEADRESTS: No tools required.

1. There is a button on each trim ring that goes around the two posts that hold the head restraint. You have to push both buttons at the same time, then remove the restraint.

2. The button on the left post is obvious, but the button on the right is kind of hidden, flush mounted to the (left) base of the ring. It is not obvious that it is a button. The blade portion of the seat belt works quite well to push the "hidden" button, and you can wedge it in there while pushing the button on the other side. I did this alone, and it was surprisingly easy.

3. You will have to tilt the seat forward to have enough room to fully pull the headrest off.

Note on base rings: They can come off with the front headrests, but are mounted on in the back. If you are putting the rear headrests on the front seats, you can still put the rings back on and screw them down. It's a teeny bit more attractive.

I hope this is helpful -- I called the dealer, and they said they'd never heard a complaint about the headrests before, not for comfort, safety, or visibility. The service guy I talked to also said he didn't know if he'd be able to remove the headrests without breaking something. Silly man.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Thanks, Baltimore! I've had the rears out, but the fronts defeated me. It's not often I would want to remove the front passenger headrest, and never the driver's. But when I need to carry a long load, removing the headrest would make it easier to get in those 2x4s or IKEA flat packs.

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts