GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Has anyone had major problems with the gas engine on their Volts? I've had my 2012 for almost 3 years and put about 22,000 miles on it. Probably 3,000 total on the gas engine and the rest on electric just going to and from work.

Recently the battery stopped charging, which was fixed with a software upgrade under the Voltec warranty. While I was waiting for a service appointment the gas engine suddenly stopped running with no warning. After the dealer towed it in it took them a week to figure out the Voltec problem and another 1 1/2 weeks to diagnose the gas engine problem. Yesterday they told me that the timing chain had broken, which resulted in damage to the engine. The repair would be an engine replacement for a little over $6,000 which is not covered under warranty. They said they couldn't tell me what caused the timing chain to break without tearing down the engine, which would take 8 hours and cost about $1100.

My question is whether others in the group have had major problems such as this with the gas engines in their Volts, especially on cars with such low mileage on them. I would think an automobile engine should last a lot longer than this, especially one that is used very rarely. Any information would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
420 Posts
You say you put 22000 miles on a 2012, had it 3 years. It is now 2018 so did it have any previous miles on it from another owner? If so, how many previous gas miles was on it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It had about 22,000 on it when I bought it. It was a lease return from a Chevy lease. When I got it I had it checked out, oil changed, and new tires put on it. I don't know how many of the previous 22,000 miles were on gas, but even if all of them were that would only be about 23,000 total miles on gas.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
You can find information online about problems with excessive oil consumption and failing timing chains on 20011/20012 GM Ecotec engines in particular the Chevrolet Equinox. There is supposed to be a class action involving 20 states. You might be able to join the class action.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts