GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a 2012 Volt this past week and am hugely disapointed. Three time within a week the vehicle has failed to convert from electric to gas. Three times we have been stranded on the highway, having to to be towd to a Checrolet dealer. No one has been able to recolve the problem . We no longer have nay confidence in this vehicle. Please help!

·
8,680 Posts
I remember seeing one or two cases like this a while back - I believe those ended with a module of the pack being replaced. Make sure the dealer is sharing the codes with GM engineering - they should be able to give resolution based on that.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
You have to be getting error codes (CEL), what are they? Have you pressed the OnStar button and asked them you run a diagnostics check for you?

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
What codes did the dealership see on the FIRST two times??

3,608 Posts
Purchased a 2012 Volt this past week and am hugely disapointed. Three time within a week the vehicle has failed to convert from electric to gas. Three times we have been stranded on the highway, having to to be towd to a Checrolet dealer. No one has been able to recolve the problem . We no longer have nay confidence in this vehicle. Please help!
We're here to help, rqajpa! Could you email your VIN, contact information, current mileage and servicing dealership name to [email protected]? Once we have those details, we can look into your conversion issues further.

To review our privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
113 Posts
You might be in the window to return the car and or a 30 day warranty from the dealership. If you got it privately, then nevermind.

·
Registered
247 Posts
3 times in a week? I'm having trouble with the math here. Unless you've found one of those rare service departments that actually has a certified volt tech (not likely), and the required parts on hand (even less likely), most service visits for volts require 2-3 days, mostly waiting around for the part to arrive.

Also, if this had happened to me in the first week of owning it, it'd be gone already - 3 strikes and you're out.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
check lemon laws in your state. 3X stranded same issue would be a lemon in my state. Most Volts don't have this issue and I can't imagine the seller wouldn't have known about this.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
check lemon laws in your state. 3X stranded same issue would be a lemon in my state. Most Volts don't have this issue and I can't imagine the seller wouldn't have known about this.
Most lemon laws only apply to the original purchaser. Buying second hand leaves the responsibility squarely with the new buyer. Unfortunately not all sellers are as forthcoming about vehicle history as they should be, either deliberately or due to insufficient information themselves.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Most lemon laws only apply to the original purchaser. Buying second hand leaves the responsibility squarely with the new buyer. Unfortunately not all sellers are as forthcoming about vehicle history as they should be, either deliberately or due to insufficient information themselves.
Looks like the OP is in VA which, unlike my state, does not have a used car lemon law. Bummer. However, might be some relief under the fraud or deceptive business practices protections, if a dealer knew or should have known about the problem.

However, depending on the in-service date (which GM or dealer should have) the powertrain warranty may still apply--and this is without a doubt a powertrain issue. Heck, could even be a Voltec 8 year/100K issue as far as we know.

Unfortunately, the OP has not posted more details beyond his 3 identical posts 5 days ago (in here and other threads).

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
http://gm-volt.com/forum/search.php?searchid=63195137

You posted thie same post three times and now have disappeared...:(

No follow up information seems to be forthcoming...even on Click&Clack...the people would come back on the "Stump the Chumps" segment to give feedback...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Total power failure

Three times while on a trip now my 2013 Volt has died on the road with no warning, within one week, requiring us to be towed to three separate Chevy dealers. First service shop said that the casue was a dead 12 volt battery. The second shop said it was incomplete code inputs from the first dealer. The third shop said that there were two bad cells in the hybrid power pack. Personally this is totally unacceptible. I believe that the all three shops were correctly reading the diagnostics codes and did what was specified. The real problem is a software issue that GM needs to fix immediately. Specifically the softe=ware does not correctly specify the root cause I don't think it was any of the above. If the hybrid battery has only two cells that are under voltage the the damm car should have reduced electric range but stil shift over to gas mode when the hybrid battery is depleted, not simply die on the !5$%$%^ road. Has anyone else had this SAFETY problem?
RQA

·
Registered
3,424 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
I've been on this forum for almost 5 years and have not seen problems like you have experienced. All fault codes have trees to find a root cause. The key is to have an experienced technician with the proper equipment. Not all dealerships have this. It is very important to ask if the service department has a Volt certified tech. Engineers are on call in Detroit to help the techs.
Without the fault codes we can't do much for you here. Did you receive any paperwork from these dealerships that would have the codes? I always see these in any dealing with them. The part numbers of replaced parts are also shown.
If a 12 volt battery failed from old age it would set many codes which would be cleared after battery replacement. Then the tech would look for meaningful codes. Doesn't sound like a very experienced person was working on your car.
You should follow the chain of command at the dealerships and with Chevy as shown in the owners manual. The president of GM does take mail.
When you get more info please keep us informed and maybe leave a file at safercar.gov

·
Registered
1,999 Posts

·
Administrator
21,123 Posts
I've been on this forum for almost 5 years and have not seen problems like you have experienced. All fault codes have trees to find a root cause. The key is to have an experienced technician with the proper equipment. Not all dealerships have this.
This. There can be MANY potential causes for a single code. Diagnosing which one requires lots of testing of different components, sime with special equipent (and special training). Then you get down to how good the tech is...

3,608 Posts
Three times while on a trip now my 2013 Volt has died on the road with no warning, within one week, requiring us to be towed to three separate Chevy dealers. First service shop said that the casue was a dead 12 volt battery. The second shop said it was incomplete code inputs from the first dealer. The third shop said that there were two bad cells in the hybrid power pack. Personally this is totally unacceptible. I believe that the all three shops were correctly reading the diagnostics codes and did what was specified. The real problem is a software issue that GM needs to fix immediately. Specifically the softe=ware does not correctly specify the root cause I don't think it was any of the above. If the hybrid battery has only two cells that are under voltage the the damm car should have reduced electric range but stil shift over to gas mode when the hybrid battery is depleted, not simply die on the !5$%$%^ road. Has anyone else had this SAFETY problem?
RQA
Hi rqajpa,

I did respond to the other thread you started, but wanted to reach out to you here too. If you could email me at [email protected] with "ATTN: Amber" in the subject-line, I and my teams would love to help as best as we can.

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

3,608 Posts
Yay, Amber's back around.. :D
Happy to be back, hellsop! :)

Unfortunately, I still haven't received an email from you, rqajpa. If you could follow up with me with the details I've requested, I'd like to see how I can help.

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

1 - 20 of 32 Posts