GM Volt Forum banner

2012 Volt Contrasted With 2011

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  guyflyguy 
#1 ·
Greencarreports.com contrasts the 2012 with the 2011:

2012 Chevrolet Volt: Subtle Changes Surface, Keyless Entry Included

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1065635_2012-chevrolet-volt-subtle-changes-surface-keyless-entry-included

Also, initial Canadian reactions to the Volt:

http://ottawastart.com/story/14986.php

Mayor unveils electric car as part of City's green fleet

"The City of Ottawa added today to its growing fleet of environmentally friendly vehicles with the purchase of its first electric plug-in car, a 2012 Chevrolet Volt."​

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/driving-it-home/driving-the-electric-volt-in-the-real-world/article2154628/

Driving the electric Volt in the real world

See less See more
#2 ·
Excellent articles.

I wonder if the 2011 Volt had the proximity circuit installed, would changing the key fob to a 2012 model operate the passive keyless entry. Since Corvette Guy wrote part of the article, and has access to 2011 Volts, he can test it. It will involve programming the 2011 Volt to learn the 2012 keyfob, but the results will benefit all 2011 Volt owners. All they need to do is buy a 2012 fob and reprogram their Volt.

The other two article will make Canadians happy!

#4 ·
I am at my local dealer as I write this. This morning I brought my 2011 Volt for the software upgrade. Although they don't have volts in stock, they do have a new 2012 Volt Demo on display and I was happy to sit inside and switch it on. Without spending too much of the salesman's time I noticed a few subtle changes, and two caught my eye immediately. There is an on star navigation symbol on the drivers screen that can be selected with the rotary dial, (same knob used to scroll the trip odometers and tire pressures). The next difference I found interesting, there is a SECOND display of "gear selector" indication imbedded into the plastic console border to the left of the gear shift handle. I took a photo and will upload it later, I can't do that here from my iPad.
My Volt software upgrade can supposedly take 3 hours or more, and involves 7 module upgrades. I hope it goes smooth and quick with no problems so I don't get stuck here all day.

#9 ·
After todays software upgrade I dont notice any significant changes, but then I only drove home 10 miles. There are more favorite stations to program, not much else I can point to at this time.

Here is the photo of the gear indication on the center console:

#10 ·
Here is my impression of a "hidden" change on the 2012. I have been driving our 2011 using the Low setting and sport mode. I really like the amount of re-gen braking that it gives and the controlled slowdown. Our 2012 doesn't have the same amount of "drag' when in Low and backing off the "gas" pedal (now known as the right foot operated electrical sensor for controlling motor output). The differance is quite noticable. I am having the software upgrade done to the 2011 and am wondering if it will be changed on it. I'll report when I pick it up.
2011-02499 White
2012-00444 Red

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.