GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Volt , silver. 2013 Volt , grey
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone.

I have a new issue on my 2012 Gen1 volt that I am trying to sort out. It will charge at 120v but not 240v. When I connect it to 2 different 240v chargers (I have 2 for 2 volts) both throw an error message and I have to reset the chargers. The car also indicates 'unable to charge' on the display. This started a couple of days ago, around the same time we got a huge snowfall in southern Ontario.

Has anyone seen this before or have any idea what may be happening?

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I would check the voltage at the 240V outlet to begin with. What kind of EVSE are you using?

·
Administrator
20,434 Posts
I had those symptoms in my 2011 Volt. The EVSE and the car faulted. I tried a different 240V EVSE, same results. It turned out to be a failing relay in the battery pack. Took about 3 weeks for the part. They dropped the battery to install the new part.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would check the voltage at the 240V outlet to begin with. What kind of EVSE are you using?
Thanks for the reply.

Yes 220v is fine, both chargers will charge the other car without issue and each charger is on a separate circuit to be able to charge both cars simultaneously if required.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had those symptoms in my 2011 Volt. The EVSE and the car faulted. I tried a different 240V EVSE, same results. It turned out to be a failing relay in the battery pack. Took about 3 weeks for the part. They dropped the battery to install the new part.
Yes, that does ring a bell. I remember reading about this some time ago somewhere, though I cant remember where. Do you know the part number to the relay? There are a couple on the battery and I may have it kicking around in my batch of spare parts after the battery heater repair. The relays are on the outside of the battery if memory servers me correctly. Would still need to drop it, but should be pretty easy to get to. If they aren't too expensive, I may just pick up a new part to have a bit more piece of mind.

Thanks for pointing me into a direction!!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I’ve heard of this happening with a bad charge port. They can develop micro fractures on the back, and when moisture gets in those cracks, pins are partially shorted or grounded. Sometimes the moisture isn’t enough to affect 120v charging, but does affect 240v. If you can totally dry out the charge port area with a hair dryer or heat gun, and 240v charging works, that would prove it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve heard of this happening with a bad charge port. They can develop micro fractures on the back, and when moisture gets in those cracks, pins are partially shorted or grounded. Sometimes the moisture isn’t enough to affect 120v charging, but does affect 240v. If you can totally dry out the charge port area with a hair dryer or heat gun, and 240v charging works, that would prove it.
Thanks for your insight.

This is also very possible has we have had a lot of snow in Southern Ontario in the last week. With all the snow blowing and being moved around, the charge ports on both cars saw an unusual amount of snow. I was also wondering if moister had gotten in. I'll give this a try as well. It would definitely be an easier fix to replace the charging port if it is allowing some moister through.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks for your insight.

This is also very possible has we have had a lot of snow in Southern Ontario in the last week. With all the snow blowing and being moved around, the charge ports on both cars saw an unusual amount of snow. I was also wondering if moister had gotten in. I'll give this a try as well. It would definitely be an easier fix to replace the charging port if it is allowing some moister through.
Did you finally get it to work?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you finally get it to work?
It is charging but only at 120v. I have not had a chance to try and dry it out to test at 240v, we are currently getting more snow. I'll have to wait until it warms up, and try it then. Hopefully it is just the charge port issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts