GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Well, it finally happened. I decided to put my Continental True Contacts on that I purchased about 6 weeks ago, so had I had an appointment with my Chevy Dealer scheduled for today; however, last week I had a service stabilitrak light come on. This light had come on about a year earlier, but then went away, mysteriously. Chevy couldn't find a stored code, so life went on.

I dropped it off yesterday with my tires to be installed and asked them to fix whatever was causing the light to be on. Turns out it was C056D-EBCM Internal Failure. They described it as the "brains" of the ABS and Stabilitrak and said the part(s) alone was $495 plus 3 hours labor, whatever that would have added. Lucky for me my Volt was at the 35,721 miles mark, so it was still covered under Factory Bumper to Bumper Warranty. Wow, I am grateful that it was still under warranty as that would have been very unexpected at this point. Anyway, the part wasn't in, so they said they will call me Tuesday as that is when they expect the part.

On a side note, the True Contacts were amazingly quiet. It was like driving a completely different car. Turn in was spot on and the ride was as smooth as butter. I won't speculate too heavily on range with them just yet as the tires are new and will require a break in of course, but I got 41.7 miles on my way back home. They had charged the car after they installed the tires :)

Edit: I did a quick search and couldn't find a thread discussing this code. Anyone had this experience?

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Good you got it repaired under warranty but I imagine even if outside the warranty period it would be a covered because you had brought it in before the expiration. Why did you go with the True Contacts? I'd love to have a quieter ride.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Good you got it repaired under warranty but I imagine even if outside the warranty period it would be a covered because you had brought it in before the expiration. Why did you go with the True Contacts? I'd love to have a quieter ride.
I researched tires till I had exhausted what was out there. TireRack had tested the TrueContacts against some top competition and the True Contacts came out on top in practically every category, even fuel mileage. They tested quiet and comfortable with excellent LRR and wet traction. A great all around tire.

Per Tire Rack:

Tires Tested
Continental TrueContact (Standard Touring All-Season, 215/60R16 95T)

What We Liked: Tight handling and very good wet/dry and snow traction
What We'd Improve: This tire hits the mark in every area
Conclusion: A very capable Standard Touring All-Season tire

I had narrowed it down to two tires. The True Contacts and the Drive Guard Run Flats. After much debate, I went with the True Contacts.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
There is a bulletin PIT5063 issued for C056D describing that it might be set due to an issue with the Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) module. It could also be caused by a bad ground to the EBCM. So hopefully they have properly utilized the bulletin to correctly diagnose this issue before condemning the EBCM. Otherwise the error will return even with a new module.
Please keep us informed of what transpires

WOT

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a bulletin PIT5063 issued for C056D describing that it might be set due to an issue with the Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) module. It could also be caused by a bad ground to the EBCM. So hopefully they have properly utilized the bulletin to correctly diagnose this issue before condemning the EBCM. Otherwise the error will return even with a new module.
Please keep us informed of what transpires

WOT
Thanks WOT! I will take a copy of your response with me to make sure they are up to date.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well, it finally happened. I decided to put my Continental True Contacts on that I purchased about 6 weeks ago, so had I had an appointment with my Chevy Dealer scheduled for today

On a side note, the True Contacts were amazingly quiet. It was like driving a completely different car. Turn in was spot on and the ride was as smooth as butter. I won't speculate too heavily on range with them just yet as the tires are new and will require a break in of course, but I got 41.7 miles on my way back home. They had charged the car after they installed the tires :)

Edit: I did a quick search and couldn't find a thread discussing this code. Anyone had this experience?
What shop put on your TrueContacts? I ordered them at Pep Boys this weekend, and when I went in to have them installed, they said they wouldn't install them since the speed rating was only T and not V.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
What shop put on your TrueContacts? I ordered them at Pep Boys this weekend, and when I went in to have them installed, they said they wouldn't install them since the speed rating was only T and not V.
My local chevy dealer installed them with no issues or complaints. Tell them you don't plan on traveling 149 MPH ;) in a car that will only hit 101. Try a local Wal-Mart or other tire shop.

Wait, I had to think for a second. Why didn't Pep Boys install them. You ordered them there?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't been able to give an update on this issue just yet. The part came in, but they haven't been able to get to me. I am dropping my car of Monday and picking it up Tuesday.

On the tires, I would say I have taken a very small hit in mileage recently, very small. Since installing the tires, I have driven about six hundred miles. Over those miles my numbers are almost exactly back to what they were with the stock OEM tires. The TrueContacts are extremely quiet, and give a very comfortable ride. They call it comfort tread. Whatever, but it works. I really like the tires. My OEM tires were changed out at almost exactly 36k, so it is pretty impressive for my less that 1k mile tires to be hitting mileage numbers close to what the original OEMs were producing. Here is my trip from today. This is a mix of of about 45 miles interstate speeds of 72-75, city driving of about 20 miles, and the rest are rural country roads with normal speeds of 50-65. NO AC (except for about 15 minutes...long enough to eat a sandwich;), windows down the rest of the time.

9.8 kWh
40.1 miles electric
168.3 miles gas (3.96 gallons used)
52.7 mpg (blended)

This is about spot on what I would have expected from my original OEMs. The TrueContacts are vastly superior in every way... except for possibly, fuel economy (only time will tell)? I would estimate a statistical tie in mpg because I am comparing new tires to ones that I drove on for 36k.

Hope this helps anyone looking at tires.

·
Registered
92 Posts
There are companies who rebuild modules that are otherwise very expensive. Another option is getting a used one and have it coded to the car.

I had the ABS module fail on my last car and it was a $800 dealer only part. $100 later it was all fixed.

Just in case anyone else runs into a bad, expensive module failure. This route is worth looking into.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dropped my Volt off today and they gave me a Cruze to drive. Not as smooth as my Volt, but it is a nice ride with leather and a power seat. It drove well and averaged 37 MPG on the way home, which is about 32 miles. I explained to them what WOP had told me and even just gave them a print out of his statement. They are always nice and said they would check it out. I am curious to see if it was actually something other than the EBCM. I probably won't know anything today as they are expecting to keep the car till tomorrow evening. I will update as I find out new info.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why did you need tires at 35k miles? I have 31k and they look darn near new
My tires were at 4/32. This is where tires should be changed. Very few people do this though and it seems most follow the old rules of 2/32 which compromises safety in a major way, especially driving in any type of inclement weather. I always changed mine at 4/32. When I look at tires on some cars, I have trouble believing people will actually drive on them. Maybe they just aren't aware or don't care or ignorance or feel like they can't afford a a new set, I don't know; however, they will still barrel down the interstate at 75MPH in the rain and tailgate a person. It kind of makes you feel all warm and fuzzy ;)

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, just got home from picking up my Volt. Turns out it was the EBCM and they had some trouble getting it to program. They had to call GM to keep from messing it up, but got everything good to go. The tech test drove my car after charging it and was pleased with everything. As it turns out, when they entered the labor, the EBCM was covered under the Voltec Warranty, which they found surprising. Anyway, thanks WOP for suggesting the other issues it may have been. It is always nice to be back in your own car, especially when you drive a Volt :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I certainly agree with the change at that level. My fronts are 7/32 (at worst)and the rears are way better on mine with 31k. That's the shocking part. Your roads have got to really stink! I'm think the stock tires have a 65k warranty so even in crappy conditions I'd expect 45k or more even being cautious.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, on my way home today my stabilitrak light kept illuminating when turning. It wasn't in every turn, but it wasn't hard to recreate either if driving 50MPH or above. When the light comes on, the car shutters from the active braking. I was not speeding or doing anything odd...just driving normally on curvy rural roads. I made a quick video and took it to my dealer and he figured it was a wheel speed sensor if I heard him correctly. I am now past the 36k mark and they couldn't see it until Tuesday. I hope there is some leeway where they just replaced the EBCM especially since I had to wait several days before they could originally see me and then wait several days again on the part. Probably a sensor; but I can't help wonder if all this hasn't been related.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
OK, here it is. I dropped my Volt off this morning and was given a 2014 Chevy Malibu. That car was a throw-back in time. I felt like I was driving something from the early 90s. The steering was dead heavy. The seats were uncomfortable. I didn't like it at all. It did get good MPG (spot on 30 in mixed driving) for a big car and it did have one saving grace, a sunroof, which I opened and enjoyed. I couldn't believe this car was a 2014. The 2015 Cruze they gave me the last time was much nicer and drove much better.

OK, after keeping the Impala all day they called with my car ready. I drove to the dealership to pick it up (slightly over 30 miles) and was told there was no charge that the "Yaw" sensor needed adjusting/recalibrated (they couldn't verify if this and replacing the EBCM were related but I assumed they were) and that was what was causing the stability control to activate far too soon. They had charged my Volt too ;) Being back in my Volt after the Impala was truly a delightful experience. It felt like I was gliding on the road instead of being forced to propel against it.

I will update on the tires more as I drive them more. About all I can say now is I have lost a little range, but overall, an EXCELLENT IMPROVEMENT over the stock OEMs in EVERY category except maybe fuel. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
OK, here it is. I dropped my Volt off this morning and was given a 2014 Chevy Malibu. That car was a throw-back in time. I felt like I was driving something from the early 90s. The steering was dead heavy. The seats were uncomfortable. I didn't like it at all. It did get good MPG (spot on 30 in mixed driving) for a big car and it did have one saving grace, a sunroof, which I opened and enjoyed. I couldn't believe this car was a 2014. The 2015 Cruze they gave me the last time was much nicer and drove much better.

OK, after keeping the Impala all day they called with my car ready. I drove to the dealership to pick it up (slightly over 30 miles) and was told there was no charge that the "Yaw" sensor needed adjusting/recalibrated (they couldn't verify if this and replacing the EBCM were related but I assumed they were) and that was what was causing the stability control to activate far too soon. They had charged my Volt too ;) Being back in my Volt after the Impala was truly a delightful experience. It felt like I was gliding on the road instead of being forced to propel against it.

I will update on the tires more as I drive them more. About all I can say now is I have lost a little range, but overall, an EXCELLENT IMPROVEMENT over the stock OEMs in EVERY category except maybe fuel. Only time will tell.
When replacing the EBCM and after programming the new module, they should have been instructed to perform the EBCM Learn, Brakes Control Offset Learn and Yaw Rate Sensor Learn. If they failed to do this it could trigger the conditions you mention. I've also seen "bad" Yaw sensor (actually a multi-axis accelerometer) relearn if it was performed with the vehicle on a hoist or jackstands in an un-level aspect.
Glad to hear you're back in your Volt!
WOT

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wanted to give a 2k update on the tires. This is harder than I expected because there is no simple back to back exact comparison for a baseline measurement. This is completely from memory and the seat of my pants. I am going to say I have lost about 4 miles of range on a complete charge with my 2012 Volt after installing the TrueContacts. Instead of what I would have expected to have been 42-44 miles per charge it is coming in much closer to 38-40. I believe this to be accurate after 2k miles of driving. Now, it is impossible to say what I was originally getting when my Goodyear OEMs were new, compared to when I replaced them at 36k. Was I actually getting less miles at that stage than when they were new compared to when I had 36k on them? I dunno and I don't remember, but after 3 years of driving with the OEMs I know what they were getting when I replaced them and that is what I am comparing the Continental TrueContacts to. So, I am sticking with losing 4 miles of range at that comparison. Will I ever get those 4 miles per charge back, I dunno; however, I am perfectly happy with that trade.

The TrueContacts are an improvement in every single category except range. They are insanely quiet and comfortable. The car seems to almost glide instead of that gritty, rough, ride I used to have. Traction is exceptional in wet and dry. Would I replace them again with the exact same tire? Yep, without hesitation.

If range is of the utmost importance though, I would recommend sticking with the original OEMs.

On a completely weird side note, I seem to be getting exactly the same MPG on the engine as I did with the old OEMs. This is very confusing for me. Maybe it is because when I am driving after the battery is depleted I am usually interstate or highway driving as opposed to rural roads. I can't explain it. However, I am nailing 40 mpg with these new tires and that is exactly what the old tires would have produced. Maybe the new ones do better at higher speeds than lower speeds? I really can't explain it.

As not being a rookie, I totally understand the three Ts and am trying to make a completely fair comparison under the same conditions. Hope this helps anybody on the fence about these tires.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts