GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've had my 2012.5 (slightly larger 2013 battery) since it was new 5 years ago and have put on just shy of 70k miles, typically driving 35 miles in a day. It consistently would give me 10.4kwh used when switching over to gas and earlier this year it seems to have made a step change in its behavior. Almost every time now it will go to at least 10.7 and I have seen 10.9 numerous times and even a few 11.0s. If I turn it off and leave it with just a few miles left it will sometimes screw me by switching over at as low as 9.9, but that's nothing new. No complaints!

Anyway, the car has been amazing, I hardly even desire a new car. My wife has a Tesla 60D with AP2 and while its nice and fast I am so at home in the Volt I rarely make a point of sneaking it. It had the battery guard and coolant sensor done in its first year, and other than oil changes every two years it hasn't been to the dealer until today for (ironically) trouble with that coolant sensor. I put new tires on it at 40k, went with Michelin Premiere A/S and so happy with the ride and noise that the 1 or 2 miles of range I lost are a non-issue. Windshield wipers every year because the chatter each time winter rolls around.

Shout out to awesome engineering and my favorite car,
Andy

·
Registered
648 Posts
Wipe those wiper blades off with RainX occasionally and they'll last for years! Still original blades on my '13

·
Registered
433 Posts
That's cool, I didn't realize there were a batch of 2012's with the upgraded 2013 battery. I have a MY13 and I actually drive it more than my wife's MY16. The gen 1's feel like a more substantial car. You can tell the gen 2 is lighter on its feet, but I prefer the heavier more planted gen 1 experience.

·
Registered
13,923 Posts
Wipe those wiper blades off with RainX occasionally and they'll last for years! Still original blades on my '13
RainX huh, I'll have to try that. I'm on my 3rd set of wipers on my 13. I started with OEMs, switched to bosch (learned the hard way that there is a left and right so i had to take a dremel tool to it to get the right one on, then switched back to GM wipers.

Back to the OPs comments, I've stopped even looking at the energy screen, so I have no idea what my battery kWh number is though I drain it almost daily.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
That's cool, I didn't realize there were a batch of 2012's with the upgraded 2013 battery. I have a MY13 and I actually drive it more than my wife's MY16. The gen 1's feel like a more substantial car. You can tell the gen 2 is lighter on its feet, but I prefer the heavier more planted gen 1 experience.
That's how I feel about Gen1 vs Gen2 also. I'd love to have the increased efficiency of the Gen2 but in the body and chassis of the Gen1. The Gen1 seats are awesome, especially on long trips.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
RainX huh, I'll have to try that. I'm on my 3rd set of wipers on my 13. I started with OEMs, switched to bosch (learned the hard way that there is a left and right so i had to take a dremel tool to it to get the right one on, then switched back to GM wipers.

Back to the OPs comments, I've stopped even looking at the energy screen, so I have no idea what my battery kWh number is though I drain it almost daily.
I'll have to give the RainX a try as well. I leave my 2017 on the primary energy screen as I find it to be the least distracting of all the center console screens. I know I can just turn it off but then it doesn't look right.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The coolant sensor on my 2012 started leaking about 3 weeks ago, just got it replaced last week. I use RainX premix windshield washer fluid, still running with the original blades. I've had two new ones on the shelf for two years now waiting for the originals to stop performing.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The coolant sensor on my 2012 started leaking about 3 weeks ago, just got it replaced last week.
Is this the often-discussed battery coolant sensor, on the bottom of the plastic tank? If so, how could it leak since it is never exposed to the coolant? It sits on the outside of the tank.

Also, last time I ran my 2013 battery all the way down, I got 10.9 (or thereabouts) kWh used, but typically I get 10.2-10.4. I will try this again and see what I get. Since I leave it plugged in to the L2 EVSE when not in use, I don't run it all the way down unless I do more than 45+ miles of driving at one time.

·
Registered
137 Posts
In reading through the paperwork, it appears that I was misinformed. The coolant leak was from a "misaligned hose at battery cooler inlet". I guess the service advisor just guessed at the cause when I asked him.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Looking on Amazon, I don't see any RainX product intended for reconditioning wiper blades. Are you using the RainX stuff that is to be added to the washer fluid?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just use the RainX premixed windshield washer fluid. It is quite often on sale at Fred Meyers, but I believe I have seen it at O’Reilly's also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts