GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this scanned version of the General Motors LLC | 2012 Passenger Car Vehicle Identification Numbering System:

ftp://ftp.nhtsa.dot.gov/mfrmail/ORG6551.pdf

It works with my 2012 Volt's VIN number (yet to be delivered).

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 2012, No. 2220, to be delivered also. I just ran through my VIN with the linked document and noticed the 'Engine Type' listed as:

4: LUU - ENGINE FLEXIBLE FUEL, (GAS/ALC), 4 CYL, 1.4L, MFI, DOHC E-FLEX, FAM 0

Interesting that the engine is listed as flex-fuel, but the car is not being marketed as such, and we have been specifically told that the car is not E85 capable! Or more likely it is E85 capable, but not certified.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah, I noticed that too.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
You have to remember that even if the ICE is rated for E85, the rest of the fuel system needs to also be compatible.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You are right, of course about the rest of the fuel system needing to be compatible. Did the description of the engine for MY 2011 list flex-fuel compatibility? I have a feeling that the entire car is physically and mechanically compatible, but GM is in no hurry to certify the car as 'flex-fuel' because it is still getting so much press. If some 'journalist' drives the car like a bat out of hell on E85 and gets only 22 mpg, you know that would make some headlines with the haters.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Sice the engine is shared by the Cruze, maybe there is a Flex Fuel model of the Cruze coming out?

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Did the description of the engine for MY 2011 list flex-fuel compatibility?
Yup. Some of us had orders already placed before we learned the MY 11 would NOT be flex-fuel, and the VIN listing (and matching description in chrevroletconnects) caused quite some confusion.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
The other thing to consider is having a large amount of E85 just sitting in the tank for months. I think I prefer premium.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts