GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I wanted to share my VCIM story. I just changed mine out this week.
-Early 2012 Volt w/ Bluetooth,Nav, Bose, leather, heated seats-

-Symptoms:
——————-
1) No GPS (GPS with line through symbol)
and no Navigation if you have Nav system.
2) Clock resets to 12:00 after every start.
3) Compass is grayed out and nonfunctioning.
4) Bluetooth is disabled( No hands free calling or any phone integration) No voice recognition.
5) No OnStar functions emergency or otherwise(Onstar buttons do not light up on the upper headliner panel)

-My Solution:
————————
After researching different Volt forums and deciding that I wanted a permanent solution verses just pulling the Onstar/phone fuse for something temporary, I decided to replace the module itself. The exact replacement module part # 22997920 costs around $200 bucks and I really didn’t want to spend that much and not even be 100% that it would take care of the problem. So I spent $58 bucks and ordered part # 20957195-22739886 with a description of (Bluetooth Module VCIM Gen 9.0 2011 Camaro Cruze SRX Regal). I had found from the forums that Volt owners had tried different modules from other models and even different years and they work. Not just any VCIM but in particular ones from the Cruze and the Buick Regal. You can find this particular module from reputable eBay sellers as low as $26. I got mine from https://www.sourceoneautoparts.com and it was a New/refurbished unit so I paid more for mine at $58.

Installation:
———————
On my early 2012 all I had to do was remove a 1/4 inch hex head screw that sets right behind the OBDII socket on the left hand side of the steering column. Once removed, that releases a plastic housing swing door and with some manipulation the module will drop down and you can unplug the old module (3 different plugs) and install the new one. The one that I ordered from Sourceone had a printed circuit board style Bluetooth antenna also attached to it. The old one that I removed must have had a built in Bluetooth antenna but it works just the same.

Results:
——————-
Upon plugging in the new VCIM, I turned the car on and immediately I had Bluetooth functions, the clock went to the correct time, the compass was no longer grayed out and stated “CAL” for calibration and that will change to north, south etc...once you drive it down the road a bit and it calibrates itself. The navigation system came back up and had me in the right location. Voice recognition was back along with phone functions. The ONLY thing that was not working was the Onstar button and I believe that’s with any replacement you will have to have the dealership program in order for Onstar to work but since I don’t want Onstar or want to pay for it, this works out great. Although the Red Cross emergency button does work. I didn’t wait for it to actually get someone on the phone. I ended the call before that happened but like I said that part isn’t important to me.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Wow, nicely done! I believe the VCIM needs to be programmed with your VIN for Onstar to work. But if you don't need it...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts