GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Volt (Red), 2012 Volt (Silver)
24 Posts
That screen shot suggests you are using the android version of mygreenvolt. The current android version does NOT provide the raw SOC readings, just the remaining portion of the "usable window" and also the remaining usable kWh in the window... in this case, SoC: 45% remaining of the usable window, and 4.9 kWh usable remaining (which perhaps indicates the 100% usable window should hold 10.9 kWh?). I have no idea how that SOC reading is determined or how it could be of any use... is it simply taken from a table in the programming based on the model year Volt you have chosen in the settings menu?
It would.sense that the guessometer would use 10.9ish since my LCD displayed "consumption" is routinely 10.7-10.9 kWh fully charged to fully depleted. I'll use gds2 to drill down when I return home mid next week.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I think I know why Cell #8 exhibits both Low & High readings. The battery pack is a series/parallel configuration. Each 3.5-4.0 V cell is actually 3 individual lithium cells in parallel. so if one of the individual cell segments were OPEN (not shorted), then the cell group would have a higher internal resistance than one with all 3 cells functional. The loss of capacity of the open cell would cause the #8 voltage to drop faster than the others under load; but when recharged, the open cell segment would cause the #8 group to have the higher internal resistance causing an increase to the applied voltage and result in charging the remaining two cell segments to a higher potential.
Maybe, but it's probably just that #8 can show both highest and lowest because what makes a cell weak is difficulty converting charge into chemical changes. When charging, they shower higher voltage than they're supposed to, because the chemistry behind charge is slow. That's the internal resistance. When discharging, that there's been less chemical change that actually happened means the voltage they show drops faster than other cells because the cell struggles and can't contribute.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts