GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please give me your opinions on the screenshots attached. At dealership for replacement of 35 month old, 12 volt battery the tech told my cells were out of range, 3.50 - 4.05?
Colorfulness Rectangle Font Parallel Tints and shades

Rectangle Font Wood Tints and shades Pattern
Colorfulness Rectangle Font Parallel Tints and shades
Rectangle Font Wood Tints and shades Pattern

Using mygreenvoltconnect app I read my cell voltage is at full charge and then right after the ICE kicked on, battery depleted.

Thank you in advance,

Kevin
2012 Volt, 71 k miles

·
Registered
82 Posts
Please give me your opinions on the screenshots attached. At dealership for replacement of 35 month old, 12 volt battery the tech told my cells were out of range, 3.50 - 4.05?
View attachment 173611
View attachment 173612 View attachment 173611 View attachment 173612
Using mygreenvoltconnect app I read my cell voltage is at full charge and then right after the ICE kicked on, battery depleted.

Thank you in advance,

Kevin
2012 Volt, 71 k miles
I my opnion you can use it in mountain mode to keep the voltage in level to not drop as deep, and when is goes more weak swap it but it very hard to get the exactly capacity level and also 2011-2012 are LMO chem not NMC

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I my opnion you can use it in mountain mode to keep the voltage in level to not drop as deep, and when is goes more weak swap it but it very hard to get the exactly capacity level and also 2011-2012 are LMO chem not NMC
Do you think swap when it’s just above 3.50? I have to get it about 300 miles to a Greentec facility

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 90k+ Miles
886 Posts
On the 2nd discharged graph, you have a difference between the min and max of .401 volts. Yes, that is out of spec, and you can see that 1 cell which is significantly degraded more than the rest. If you haven't been recieving errors or unusual behavior, just be aware you are close.

Personally I would just leave it fully charged and drive it in hold or mountain mode going forward, and start planning on buying another vehicle. We are seeing the HV batteries fail right around the age of your vehicle, regardless of the low mileage.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Do you think swap when it’s just above 3.50? I have to get it about 300 miles to a Greentec facility
there is 3 main battery section in your case is section 3 (dont remeber exactly but the most longest section) is number 8, if you only replace that section you should get a very close capacity with the other 2 section to not have the voltage variaation.. that what I mean,,but If you get a good entere battery pack will be better, Im working in a new 2021 cellreplacemnt to not have issue for long time...

·
Registered
2013 Volt (Red), 2012 Volt (Silver)
24 Posts
Here's my 2013 with 182k+ right at changeover to ICE for comparison. I think this is OK, but leave it to those here to comment.

Colorfulness Rectangle Font Parallel Grass

·
Administrator
21,485 Posts
moved to Care & Maintenance

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
The OP’s pictures make no sense. They seem to be duplicate sets of two pictures, one of a fully charged battery with 7:53 showing at top left, and one of a fully depleted battery with 5:06 showing at top left.

The fully charged 7:53 picture seems to show an average cell voltage of ~4.0 volts, even though the wording at the bottom of the picture says: min/av/max 3.304 (#8) 3.671 4.039 (#8) (734 mV)

The fully depleted 5:06 picture seems to show an average cell voltage of ~3.66 volts, even though the wording at the bottom of the picture says: min/av/max 3.350 (#8) 3.551 3.751 (#76) (401 mV)

Don’t know why cell #8 would be the cell with both the min and the max reading when fully charged...

Don’t know why the posted min/av/max readings at the bottom of the pictures don’t match the green bar picture voltage readings. If you use the mygreenvoltconnect app, do you need to do something to update the picture or the readings at the bottom so that the voltage readings reflect the picture voltages?

In contrast, the 10:54 picture posted by the OP shows green bars averaging ~3.6 volts, and at the bottom: min/av/max 3.615 (#8) 3.644 3.674 (#45) (58 mV)

I note the OP indicates this is a 2012 Volt, and the average fully charged / fully depleted pictures (~4.0 volts / ~3.6 volts) seem to match the readings I have in my own 2012 Volt.

In contrast, skiutah02 has posted the fully depleted readings for his 2013 Volt, showing an average 3.479 volts. Is that a lower voltage because the switch to gas SOC is lower for a 2013 Volt than for a 2012 Volt?

Yes, do switch to Mountain Mode when you first start driving. MM temporarily sets the switch to gas SOC at the 45% raw SOC level (instead of the normal SOC point, which is ~22% for a 2012 Volt, perhaps 20% for a 2013 Volt). The car remains in Electric Mode until the SOC drops to the MM-maintained level. It would be interesting to observe the min/av/max cell voltage levels for a Gen 1 battery running in Charge Sustaining Mode at the Mountain Mode set point SOC level. Any guesses? Average cell voltage perhaps ~3.75 volts?

·
Registered
24 Posts
It would be interesting to observe the min/av/max cell voltage levels for a Gen 1 battery running in Charge Sustaining Mode at the Mountain Mode set point SOC level. Any guesses? Average cell voltage perhaps ~3.75 volts?

I'm new here so don't want to step on too many toes, but I'm game to do this for the group. Granted it's about -10oF right now. Drew

·
Registered
24 Posts
The OP’s pictures make no sense. They seem to be duplicate sets of two pictures, one of a fully charged battery with 7:53 showing at top left, and one of a fully depleted battery with 5:06 showing at top left.

The fully charged 7:53 picture seems to show an average cell voltage of ~4.0 volts, even though the wording at the bottom of the picture says: min/av/max 3.304 (#8) 3.671 4.039 (#8) (734 mV)

The fully depleted 5:06 picture seems to show an average cell voltage of ~3.66 volts, even though the wording at the bottom of the picture says: min/av/max 3.350 (#8) 3.551 3.751 (#76) (401 mV)

Don’t know why cell #8 would be the cell with both the min and the max reading when fully charged...

Don’t know why the posted min/av/max readings at the bottom of the pictures don’t match the green bar picture voltage readings. If you use the mygreenvoltconnect app, do you need to do something to update the picture or the readings at the bottom so that the voltage readings reflect the picture voltages?

In contrast, the 10:54 picture posted by the OP shows green bars averaging ~3.6 volts, and at the bottom: min/av/max 3.615 (#8) 3.644 3.674 (#45) (58 mV)

I note the OP indicates this is a 2012 Volt, and the average fully charged / fully depleted pictures (~4.0 volts / ~3.6 volts) seem to match the readings I have in my own 2012 Volt.

In contrast, skiutah02 has posted the fully depleted readings for his 2013 Volt, showing an average 3.479 volts. Is that a lower voltage because the switch to gas SOC is lower for a 2013 Volt than for a 2012 Volt?

Yes, do switch to Mountain Mode when you first start driving. MM temporarily sets the switch to gas SOC at the 45% raw SOC level (instead of the normal SOC point, which is ~22% for a 2012 Volt, perhaps 20% for a 2013 Volt). The car remains in Electric Mode until the SOC drops to the MM-maintained level. It would be interesting to observe the min/av/max cell voltage levels for a Gen 1 battery running in Charge Sustaining Mode at the Mountain Mode set point SOC level. Any guesses? Average cell voltage perhaps ~3.75 volts?
Here you go:

Rectangle Font Parallel Software Technology

Personal luxury car Gadget Flat panel display Vehicle Display device

Television Computer Flat panel display Gadget Communication Device

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 90k+ Miles
886 Posts
@skiutah02
Your readings are healthy and in range.
Instead of trying to time it at change over, I take the discharged reading at the point the engine turns itself off. That's the normal bottom state.

·
Registered
24 Posts
@skiutah02
Your readings are healthy and in range.
Instead of trying to time it at change over, I take the discharged reading at the point the engine turns itself off. That's the normal bottom state.
Great, thanks. I have had great luck with this car so far, but am saddened that not everyone is having the luck I've had with it, and a little worried seeing some of the problems others have seen. My car effectively paid for itself in gas vs. our Yukon XL at 105k, but I will be sad when it finally gives up the ghost. I've traveled extensively throughout the US and will continue to do so, but I always have the nagging concern the car might leave me high and dry in Timbuktu one day.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Thanks, interesting, your 2013 Volt's MM is about 0.2 V higher than your fully depleted level, just like my 2012 Volt.... I tried once last summer using Mountain Mode to recharge my 2012 Volt’s depleted battery while parked. When the engine stopped running, indicating the battery was recharged to the MM-maintained level, I used the app to observe that my raw state of charge was 43.1% (not far off from the 45% Gen 1 Volt level for MM, according to Wikipedia), and that my battery pack cells were at:

min/av/max: 3.831 / 3.837 / 3.842 V

this is in a 2012 Volt whose fully charged and fully depleted average cells were 4.0 and 3.66 V

to contrast with your 2013 Volt Mountain Mode level readings:

min/av/max: 3.646 / 3.660 / 3.674 V

whose fully depleted average cells were 3.479 V.

Does your app show you the raw SOC readings to say what your 2013 Volt battery SOC level is when fully charged, at the MM-maintained level, and fully depleted (~87%, ~43.1%, and ~22% for my 2012 Volt)?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks, interesting, your 2013 Volt's MM is about 0.2 V higher than your fully depleted level, just like my 2012 Volt.... I tried once last summer using Mountain Mode to recharge my 2012 Volt’s depleted battery while parked. When the engine stopped running, indicating the battery was recharged to the MM-maintained level, I used the app to observe that my raw state of charge was 43.1% (not far off from the 45% Gen 1 Volt level for MM, according to Wikipedia), and that my battery pack cells were at:

min/av/max: 3.831 / 3.837 / 3.842 V

this is in a 2012 Volt whose fully charged and fully depleted average cells were 4.0 and 3.66 V

to contrast with your 2013 Volt Mountain Mode level readings:

min/av/max: 3.646 / 3.660 / 3.674 V

whose fully depleted average cells were 3.479 V.

Does your app show you the raw SOC readings to say what your 2013 Volt battery SOC level is when fully charged, at the MM-maintained level, and fully depleted (~87%, ~43.1%, and ~22% for my 2012 Volt)?
I'm guessing with mygreenvolt app (just started working with it a few weeks ago) and gds2 (used a few times), I should be able to get that for you. I'm out of town for about a week however but I can get that for the group. Running MM, last night the dashboard SOC in MGV showed 45% but I'm not sure that is raw soc.
Colorfulness Font Technology Slope Screenshot

·
Registered
2011 Premium, Nav (no camera:( )
211 Posts
Is the low battery temp an issue? Mine typically runs in the 50-60 range, even when 10F outside.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think I know why Cell #8 exhibits both Low & High readings. The battery pack is a series/parallel configuration. Each 3.5-4.0 V cell is actually 3 individual lithium cells in parallel. so if one of the individual cell segments were OPEN (not shorted), then the cell group would have a higher internal resistance than one with all 3 cells functional. The loss of capacity of the open cell would cause the #8 voltage to drop faster than the others under load; but when recharged, the open cell segment would cause the #8 group to have the higher internal resistance causing an increase to the applied voltage and result in charging the remaining two cell segments to a higher potential.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I'm guessing with mygreenvolt app (just started working with it a few weeks ago) and gds2 (used a few times), I should be able to get that for you. I'm out of town for about a week however but I can get that for the group. Running MM, last night the dashboard SOC in MGV showed 45% but I'm not sure that is raw soc.
View attachment 173621
That screen shot suggests you are using the android version of mygreenvolt. The current android version does NOT provide the raw SOC readings, just the remaining portion of the "usable window" and also the remaining usable kWh in the window... in this case, SoC: 45% remaining of the usable window, and 4.9 kWh usable remaining (which perhaps indicates the 100% usable window should hold 10.9 kWh?). I have no idea how that SOC reading is determined or how it could be of any use... is it simply taken from a table in the programming based on the model year Volt you have chosen in the settings menu?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts