1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
I love the Tesla, the Model S and the "high tech" electronics, but does anyone else think that 17 INCH display looks like an after thought?

And yes I would love to own one.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yes! Personally, I think Tesla missed the mark on the design of the interior.

I wasn't willing to wait for or pay $20k over the Volt for the Model S. I also didn't want to be range-restricted. We are a two car family though, so maybe my next car will be a Tesla. Or a Spark EV.

I love the Tesla, the Model S and the "high tech" electronics, but does anyone else think that 17 INCH display looks like an after thought?

And yes I would love to own one.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I've seen Two Model S and talked with their oners, They love their cars (after waiting 2.5 years form placing their deposit and eduring countless comments that the company will not make it) I did note that it did share two problems with the Volt, poor rear vision and dirt collecting on the back end.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with you guys on the interior, at least from the photos. Maybe it's better in person to which Zythryn can better speak, I think... Personally, I like the Volt's 2-screen layout better, tho perhaps our center screen could be bigger... I even like the Volt's iPad center stack the more I use it, which tended to be a nuisance to me, at first...

·
Registered
589 Posts
Yes, I do think the 17 inch display looks a little too large for the dash. But I really love this car. The drivetrain packaging is superb in its simplicity. (Wish the ELR could be rear wheel drive.) As much as I still love the snarl of a powerful gasoline engine, I am fascinated by this simple[-looking], yet powerful, little motor tucked in between the rear wheels. I am anxious to see this car in the flesh. I think it is beautiful, but probably a little too large for my needs and tastes.

I know that Elon Musk must have a huge ego, but I'll do nothing to diminish it. He is my hero.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I agree with you guys on the interior, at least from the photos. Maybe it's better in person to which Zythryn can better speak, I think... Personally, I like the Volt's 2-screen layout better, tho perhaps our center screen could be bigger... I even like the Volt's iPad center stack the more I use it, which tended to be a nuisance to me, at first...
Personally, I really like the interior styling and love the center console.
They angle it a tiny bit towards the driver which may make it look odd in pictures at some angles. It is still usable by the co-pilot though.
I would like to see a covered storage option in the area between the front seats. But overall, I love the clean lines and modern styling of the interior.
In the Volt we have, what, 20-25 buttons on the center stack? I use, one or two of them. Once or twice I have dug around for another.
I find it far more convenient and easy to use the 17" center screen as the controls are very large and lit.
As in the Volt, many of the most common controls are on the steering wheel.
I would love to see GM remove some of the physical buttons on the center console to add another 4" or so to the screen.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
@Zythrun: which car is easier to drive, keeping eyes and mind on the road and so forth, when you have to use the On-Screen Menus, for instance to change cabin environment? Who did the better job with the interface: Elon or Bob? BTW, click on "Bob" for a really good article "What’s Gone Wrong With The Electric Vehicle Market? Nothing."

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I do love the Model S, but its dash styling looks to my eye somewhat retro, 1960s Chryslerish - saved however from becoming lost in its time warp by that humungous screen. That screen brings a visual simplicity to the design - no knobs or buttons in sight when the screen image shuts down.

I believe the dash design was modified at the last minute - if my memory serves me correctly, the earlier show models of the S had a very differently styled dash.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
@Zythrun: which car is easier to drive, keeping eyes and mind on the road and so forth, when you have to use the On-Screen Menus, for instance to change cabin environment? Who did the better job with the interface:...
In my subjective opinion, Elon did. The banks of small physical buttons is basically useless while driving and takes more time than it should when parked.
You can set the steering wheel dial to control a number of different items so you can pick which one you use most (temperature, fan speed, media source, even sunroof).

I really look forward to seeing what GM, BMW and other manufacturers can do with BEVs once they let the engineers loose on the design strengths a BEV gives. The Volt gives a taste of that, but so much more is possible. This is one reason I am more and more looking forward to seeing what the ELR offers even though it isn't a BEV.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I do love the Model S, but its dash styling looks to my eye somewhat retro, 1960s Chryslerish - saved however from becoming lost in its time warp by that humungous screen. That screen brings a visual simplicity to the design - no knobs or buttons in sight when the screen image shuts down.

I believe the dash design was modified at the last minute - if my memory serves me correctly, the earlier show models of the S had a very differently styled dash.
I don't believe that is the case. I know there were some changes since the concept change as there typically is.
I google for some examples of the style you mentioned and am at a bit of a loss. The images I found of 60s Chrysler dashes were very cluttered, where the Model S is very clean looking. Perhaps you could provide a little detail?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
17 inch screen is superb

The 17 inch screen is superb and with each over the air update gets better (now at version 4.0). Quick, responsive and simply glorious to look at and use. The interior is very nice and comfortable. And quick! Darn, 4.4 seconds from 0-60 with the performance model.

I know this since I have driven one 2 x. I love the car and you will too once you see one in the flesh.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Same here. It's like a Volt, need a ride to get it. With my old eyes the big screen is wonderful.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts