GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having issues getting my 2012 Volt out of L on the shifter. I recently took my Volt to the dealership after it was leaking coolant from the auxiliary radiator and long story short after hassling with them for over a week I finally just had it towed back to my house and decided to fix it myself. I think everything went well as far as replacing the radiator but now I am having an issue with the shifter being stuck in L mode. When I received the car back from the dealership the shifter cable was disconnected so I hooked it back up but the strange thing is even though its in L mode the shifter is all the way forward as if it were in Park. I have no idea why they put it in L mode (possibly as safety precaution) however I wish they would have put everything back the way it was. Anyhow it will not move when I press the button in and I'm wondering if there is some sort of override to this? One other thing of note it is that the car sat for a couple weeks and now will only start up when it is hooked up to my 12 Volt battery charger. I'm not sure if this explains why it may not shift. Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Have you progressed at all in solving your shifter problem?

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'm having issues getting my 2012 Volt out of L on the shifter. I recently took my Volt to the dealership after it was leaking coolant from the auxiliary radiator and long story short after hassling with them for over a week I finally just had it towed back to my house and decided to fix it myself. I think everything went well as far as replacing the radiator but now I am having an issue with the shifter being stuck in L mode. When I received the car back from the dealership the shifter cable was disconnected so I hooked it back up but the strange thing is even though its in L mode the shifter is all the way forward as if it were in Park. I have no idea why they put it in L mode (possibly as safety precaution) however I wish they would have put everything back the way it was. Anyhow it will not move when I press the button in and I'm wondering if there is some sort of override to this? One other thing of note it is that the car sat for a couple weeks and now will only start up when it is hooked up to my 12 Volt battery charger. I'm not sure if this explains why it may not shift. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Did you disconnect the cable and make sure the shift gate/lever can be moved through each position PRNDL ( foot must be on brake with car powered ON) to release shift interlock solenoid) If that moves normally, then go to the Range selector at the transaxle and try to move it with car powered OFF.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts