GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I found part of schematics on German forum it can be seen that connection is on X1 32 33. If I am correct 33 is ground, you can check on conenctor at sensor if ground is ok. here: .opel-ampera-forum.de/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1830&hilit=f%C3%BCllstand&start=230
I am not able to post image or whole link as i am new here. just add triple w before
Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I found part of schematics on German forum it can be seen that connection is on X1 32 33. If I am correct 33 is ground, you can check on conenctor at sensor if ground is ok. here: .opel-ampera-forum.de/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1830&hilit=f%C3%BCllstand&start=230
I am not able to post image or whole link as i am new here. just add triple w before
Let us know how it goes.
Thank you. Here it is for anyone that finds it useful:

Text Floor plan Diagram Circuit component Line

·
Registered
16 Posts
I found on German forum that there should be 5V on sensor. You can measure that as first thing, so you can se if harness is ok. On page 36 of the forum thread I sent before, you even have instructions that you can redoo what was originally done when sensor was added. as I can see, sensors were faulty because of bad soldering inside of them, so having a spare one instead of just WOT resistor is not bad and price is low. And newer should be without this bad soldering fault. Some reported of dead HPCM2, but this would probably make car dead.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I found on German forum that there should be 5V on sensor. You can measure that as first thing, so you can se if harness is ok. On page 36 of the forum thread I sent before, you even have instructions that you can redoo what was originally done when sensor was added. as I can see, sensors were faulty because of bad soldering inside of them, so having a spare one instead of just WOT resistor is not bad and price is low. And newer should be without this bad soldering fault. Some reported of dead HPCM2, but this would probably make car dead.
Will give it a try on the weekend and report back. I appreciate your assistance, specially because I have no dealer to go to, my Volt is the only one in the entire country, only EV actually. I have PV system and got myself the Volt so I could charge it with solar power, but haven't been able due to this problem.

Here is the larger schematic:

[iurl="http://gm-volt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=145994&stc=1&d=1516141763"]
[/iurl]

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
Let us know how it goes.
I'm checkin the Service Manual for 2012 Volt, HPCM X1 connector, PIN 32 is labeled AC Refrigerant High Temperature Sensor Signal, circuit 732, Color: WH/L-BU and PIN 33 is labeled Low Reference, circuit 452, Color: BK/VT. According to diagram you shared, PIN 32 is circuit 68, Color: L-BU/YE and PIN 33 is circuit 476, Color: BK/L-GN. It might be possible it corresponds to a different year model or Ampera has a different schematics. Nevertheless, I'll try to verify correct PINs during the weekend.

Again thanks for your help.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
Just wanted to report I got it done over the weekend. I updated the Battery Energy Control Module as reported by OP and the latched DTCs didn't come back. Guess an updated Hybrid Powertrain Control Module 2 (HPCM2) without updating the BECM results in a conflict issuing the latched Service High Voltage Charging System DTCs.

Since I had paid for the ACDelco subscription I went ahead and updated other modules as well: Battery Charger Control Module, Body Control Module, Coolant Heater Control Module, Engine Control Module and Electric Power Steering Control Module.

Will write up everything at a later date for others to benefit from my research and experience solving this issue.

Thanks for everyone that helped.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Probably updated software is not fully compatible with older as the change is on a level that affects different modules at once, that is quite frequent with electronic modules in different machines.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Reviewed my chevy dealer paperwork......seems to suggest my "service high energy system" message is related to intermittent battery coolant sensor (they found no leaks and coolant level was fine). I ordered the defeat plug a couple of weeks ago. Decided to install today. I'll sleep better tonight! :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Good news, now there's a two year subscription for Vehicle Programming Software. It includes: 24 months access to program all modules for one vehicle (VIN) for $40. Too bad this wasn't available when I did mine, I even had to pay twice since I didn't get it the first time ($55 x 2).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Guys,

Here's a question for you - which of the two connectors in the HPCM2 has the pins 32 and 33 that we were after? Is it the one that plugs into the blue gasket type part, or the grey? I'm referencing this photo: http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/6499/ar0ko1vbavf9phzzg.jpg?size_id=7

I think it's the one connected to the blue gasket type part. Looking at the service manual, I can find the connector with pins 32 and 33 described
32 - A/C Refrigerant High Temperature Sensor Signal - colour WH/L-BU
33 - Low Reference - colors BK/VT.
The description for the connector is '80-Way F MX123 Series, Sealed (BK with BU Terminal Position Assurance Lock).' I think 'BU Terminal Position Assurance Lock' is to indicate that colour of the gasket type part is blue. The other connector's description has 'GY Terminal Position Assurance Lock' which to me indicates it's gasket type part's colour is grey.

I'm waiting for a vcx nano so I can clear the codes, but in the meantime if I could wire the defeat plug close, I can rule out other wiring problems. In the meantime I figured I'd post this to see if my understanding is correct.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here's an update so far:
I inspected the car and was able to access and remove the HPCM2 module, but I decided against cutting into anything thus far because that wiring looks quite good... I checked the sensor leads with a meter, and moved the line around the crimped part but didn't see any deviation from 4.99V. What I did find, were some dents under a small metal panel on the right side. That was taken off to look at what it covered, but no signs of damage were found on the smaller metal pipes underneath. I'm assuming these are high voltage wires but I don't know.
In parallel, I have the vcx nano on the way. I bought the 40$ subscription, and when I look at it, I have 3 options:
Vehicle 1
More...
Add VIN (button)

When I click 'Vehicle' it takes me to the pages where I can access SPS but it keeps saying activeX has been blocked. I did as it said and added it to my browser trusted sites, but it keeps saying this. I think this is a warning message at this point. Using 'More' lists the subscriptions and says that the VIN is 'available' - which leads me to a question. Can I set this now or will it get set when I do my first program? I can't find an option to set it now, but I thought I was supposed to do this. If they sell a subscription for just one VIN, shouldn't it be us who enters that VIN number? Anyhow, not sure... if anyone can advise that's great, if not I'll see what happens when I get the programmer... I'm paranoid of some java error or something getting in the way...

Add VIN takes me to the same workflow where I can purchase another VIN number.

Just wanted to update about this in case anyone can advise.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Here's an update so far:
I inspected the car and was able to access and remove the HPCM2 module, but I decided against cutting into anything thus far because that wiring looks quite good... I checked the sensor leads with a meter, and moved the line around the crimped part but didn't see any deviation from 4.99V. What I did find, were some dents under a small metal panel on the right side. That was taken off to look at what it covered, but no signs of damage were found on the smaller metal pipes underneath. I'm assuming these are high voltage wires but I don't know.
In parallel, I have the vcx nano on the way. I bought the 40$ subscription, and when I look at it, I have 3 options:
Vehicle 1
More...
Add VIN (button)

When I click 'Vehicle' it takes me to the pages where I can access SPS but it keeps saying activeX has been blocked. I did as it said and added it to my browser trusted sites, but it keeps saying this. I think this is a warning message at this point. Using 'More' lists the subscriptions and says that the VIN is 'available' - which leads me to a question. Can I set this now or will it get set when I do my first program? I can't find an option to set it now, but I thought I was supposed to do this. If they sell a subscription for just one VIN, shouldn't it be us who enters that VIN number? Anyhow, not sure... if anyone can advise that's great, if not I'll see what happens when I get the programmer... I'm paranoid of some java error or something getting in the way...

Add VIN takes me to the same workflow where I can purchase another VIN number.

Just wanted to update about this in case anyone can advise.

Thanks.
If you have it connected properly the vin will populate for you one the java program starts and you begin. See my other post where you asked the question.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yep, it did work like this. I did the programming and now that subscription shows that vin. Also, it's been a week and a bit since the re-program and so far so good. Just keeping an eye on it. Thanks for help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This just happened to me. I installed the defeat plug and reflashed my Hybrid Powertrain Control module (HPCM2) and my code went away. The next day it's back! How did you end up fixing this? Wiring it directly to the HPCM2 or something with the BECM?

·
Registered
29 Posts
This just happened to me. I installed the defeat plug and reflashed my Hybrid Powertrain Control module (HPCM2) and my code went away. The next day it's back! How did you end up fixing this? Wiring it directly to the HPCM2 or something with the BECM?
I ended up not re-wiring anything. After I reprogrammed it with the vcx nano, the problem did not re-occur. I have not however, let it charge for days on end, like I did when I saw the problem. Did your SHVCS message appear when you were driving or after charging? If the latter, one point of interest may be how long of a charge time reproduces the problem.

One other data point for me was that I had some damage on one of the bottom shields (don't ask me which one, IDK, just a flat grey metal shielding a little way back from the passenger side) which I straightened out.

·
Administrator
21,043 Posts
I have not however, let it charge for days on end, like I did when I saw the problem.
The car has no issue being left plugged in for days. If yours faults in that scenario, there is a problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The car has no issue being left plugged in for days. If yours faults in that scenario, there is a problem.
Yes, there could still be a problem I just haven't reproduced. I honestly can't think of why a 2-3 day period of being plugged in would provoke something an 8 hour charge wouldn't. An 8 hour charge would be the phase where there's more current, which is where problems would become apparent, or so I would think. The 2-3 days sitting around on the charger is a common element I had when the SHVCS message appeared so I took note.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts