GM Volt Forum banner
521 - 531 of 531 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Needing some help as the car is at the dealership with shvcs message, so, don‘t have access to the warranty booklet. They are telling me that battery surge tank, sensor needs to be replaced and BECM program and stating that are not covered under voltec warranty. Does anyone have experience or confirm? Plan on calling GM customer care in the morning.

·
Administrator
23,122 Posts
Needing some help as the car is at the dealership with shvcs message, so, don‘t have access to the warranty booklet. They are telling me that battery surge tank, sensor needs to be replaced and BECM program and stating that are not covered under voltec warranty. Does anyone have experience or confirm? Plan on calling GM customer care in the morning.
The surge tank is just a plastic bottle. Unless it has a hole in it, why would it need replacing?

Reactions: Ryan IL

·
Registered
35 Posts
I brought my 2012 Volt (143k miles) in today, sporting the Service High Voltage Charging System message/code. I had already topped off the battery coolant in the reservoir and replaced the sensor magnet, per recommendations here, but to no avail. I cleared the code and it came right back, never allowing a charge. The assessment: HPCM2 AND BECM UPDATE (HPCM2 AND BECM UPDATE) - 362.50 and CHARGE PORT (HPCM2 AND BECM UPDATE) - $652.66, so $1015 to have software updates installed? Wow! Should I just leave it and run on gas at 40 mpg? ... dang

Has anyone here had to pay for those updates to be performed? ... Can a non-dealership do this repair? Thanks all!!

Edit: Could the SHVCS code be from a faulty wiring harness? Curious as to how the dealership would respond to me asking them to replace that, first, and how much that would cost.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Many of us have performed those updates ourselves by purchasing a VX nano adapter and using a laptop. It’s a little tricky, but it costs $100 instead of 1000.

where are you located? Perhaps there’s a member near you that already has that setup.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Many of us have performed those updates ourselves by purchasing a VX nano adapter and using a laptop. It’s a little tricky, but it costs $100 instead of 1000.

where are you located? Perhaps there’s a member near you that already has that setup.
Hmmm, that would be nice! I'm in Charlotte, NC and definitely game to saving $900 or so - I'd reimburse the owner for the cost of the VX nano adapter, or more if desired.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2014 and got this dreaded message today, combined with codes P1E00, P0AA6, and P1FFF. I used a code reader to clear the messages, two still show as "permanent" but the error on the dashboard is gone, and the CEL is gone. Car charged fine today.

Considering how well thought out the Volt is, in general, this is a outrageously bad design -- a latched error message that is 100% misleading and cannot be cleared without resetting the computer. WTF guys.

I have a VCX Nano on order but since the CEL is gone and the car is charging, is there any harm in leaving that latched message on there?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2014 Volt just gave the dreaded SHVCS error and is not charging. I am about to buy the VCX Nano from Amazon, but there are several sellers with the same product. Just wondering if y'all have the link to the seller you bought from?

Option2 -- My Volt is out of warranty but thinking of talking to the Dealer.
@mars234hall mentioned 'Stonebriar Chevy in Frisco' has a Voltec mechanic. I also live in Plano, TX. Maybe I will call them up and see what they will charge me 🤞(fingers crossed)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don’t remember which Amazon seller, but you might buy directly from vxdiagshop.com to make sure it’s the latest version. Looks like version 2021.4 is latest. With Amazon there are free returns however.
I never use the wifi connection as I wouldn’t want to lose connectivity while programming.

521 - 531 of 531 Posts