GM Volt Forum banner

421 - 440 of 472 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
If I understand corretly, your problem is that the VXdiag does not show up in the device list, right?
You need to run VX Manager -> click the Diagnostic tab -> PASS THRU -> Install
I had similar problems, but I tryed one by one all options and it starts. After programing I got several errors and car stop to responce for enything.
I charge the 12V aku to 100% and after that car starts to move. Unfortunately now I have errors: P1e00, P0d69 and U0111. Now car driven only on gasoline. I can't charge it from the wall. I'm still search for solution.
There are new proces for ACDelco:

·
Registered
11 Posts
13. Click Service Programming System, then click Start SPS. You'll have to say yes/allow to a bunch of Java security prompts and click through some initial installs.
Can’t seem to get past this step. Every time it gives me an error saying “Unable to launch the application.” I’m running the latest 32 bit Java on a 32 bit browser (I’ve tried IE and Firefox). Any ideas? I did come across an article at https://gm-techlink.com/?p=11471 that says there was an update to Tech2win software release on 4/22/19 in TIS2Web which includes a fix for the MDI/MDI 2 Device Explorer not coming up for some users. Could this be the problem?

·
Registered
63 Posts
This code appeared on my 2012 Volt, with 89,200 miles on 9/22/2019. Coolant levels were all good. It was resolved under warranty with a software update. My warranty ends at the end of this year (2019) :( My wife suggested that we sell it before more things go wrong when it's out of warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just completed a HPCM2 and BECM reprogram on my '11 Volt as the workflow has changed slightly and there were a few nuances I thought I would add some notes about. My notes are in all caps and parentheses. I hope these help others avoid spending unnecessary time fighting with JAVA while sweating in a parking lot and pointlessly constricted to a hot spot when high speed internet would be much better!!

INSTRUCTIONS
YOU MAY WANT TO PERFORM MOST OF THE COMPUTER WORK IN A COMFORTABLE SPACE WITH HIGH SPEED INTERNET. IN MY EXPERIENCE THE NANO DID NOT NEED TO BE CONNECTED TO THE CAR UNTIL UPDATING THE J2534.

The VCX Nano (GM version) was a bit tricky to get working with GM SPS, so I'll explain what I did below for anyone else who wants to avoid a dealer visit and has some computer skills.

I did this all on a Windows 7 64bit laptop(I USED 64 BIT WINDOWS 7 AS WELL. YOU SHOULD USE INTERNET EXPLORER 11 AND JAVA NEEDS TO BE 32 BIT. TO CHECK GO TO CONTROL PANEL, ALL CONTROL PANEL ITEMS AND LOOK AT JAVA. IF NOT SURE THAT ITS 32 BIT AND IF HAVING PROBLEMS LAUNCHING SPS UNINSTALL JAVA AND DOWNLOAD 32 BIT JAVA 8 UPDATE 45 FROM TIS, SEE POST #144 PAGE 15 OF THE THREAD TITLED VCX NANO FOR MORE DETAIL). I don't know if Windows 8/10 will work.

Before doing anything, make sure you have the latest Java installed from java.com. (NO - THIS IS NO LONGER CORRECT. YOU MUST HAVE 32 BIT JAVA 8 UPDATE 45. DOWNLOAD FROM TIS SEE MY POST TITLED VCX NANO ON PAGE 15 POST #144 FOR MORE DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS. THE MOST UP TO DATE JAVA ((JAVA 8 UPDATE 223)) IS NOT CURRENTLY COMPATIBLE WITH SPS!!! THIS ONE SMALL DETAIL COST ME HOURS OF FRUSTRATION.)
And obviously either replace the bad sensor with a new one or WOTs sensor. Others have instructions on that, but it's not hard. Also verify with a multimeter that you have about 5v between the sensor leads (easy to do this while it's disconnected). This confirms there isn't a wiring issue.

The car will need to be in service mode to program it. Do this by holding the power button for about 10 seconds without putting your foot on the brake at any time. This turns on the 12V systems without actually starting the car. Oddly enough it doesn't even require the key! (UNLESS YOU HAVE HIGH SPEED INTERNET AND A COMFORTABLE GARAGE TO WORK IN DO NOT INVOLVE THE CAR UNTIL STEP #15. THE FIRST FOURTEEN STEPS ARE BEST TAKEN CARE OF WITH HIGH SPEED INTERNET AND DO NOT REQUIRE THE CAR)

1. Copy the contents of the DVD to a folder on your computer. It'll take a little bit because there is a VM with GDS2 included.
2. Run the Tech2Win AutoInstall (in the Tech2Win subfolder)
3. Run the VX Driver MDI program in the main folder.
4. Connect the VCX Nano. You should see a message in the task bar about the device driver being installed.
5. Got to Start -> All Programs -> VX Driver MDI -> VX Driver MDI. A program called All Scanner should come up and see the device. (I HAD TO RUN START->ALL PROGRAMS->VX MANAGER->VX MANAGER to get to all Scanner)
6. Click the Firmware button and install firmware update if your VCX is not up to date.
7. Click Diagnostic, Click Automotive, Click Passthru. Click Install to install the J2534 driver (took me a while to figure this out).
7a. Connect the VCX Nano to the car's OBD2 port. (I OMITTED THIS STEP AT THIS POINT)
8. Click J2534 App, click the URL for GM Tech Info System
9. Create an account on the AC Delco Technical Delivery System site.
10. Login and select Service and Programming Information
11. Subscribe to Service Programming Only. Two days is the cheapest option.(TWO DAYS NO LONGER AN OPTION. A TWO YEAR SUBSCRIPTION IS $40 FOR ONE VIN AND IS A GREAT DEAL!)
12. It should kick you back to the SPI page after subscribing, otherwise just re-login. Click the link to Access your subscription.
13. Click Service Programming System, then click Start SPS. You'll have to say yes/allow to a bunch of Java security prompts and click through some initial installs. (IF YOU HAVE ANY ISSUE LAUNCHING SPS AT THIS POINT REFER TO MY POST ON PAGE 15 POST #144 FROM THE THREAD TITLED VCX NANO)
14. If you get a message asking to install updated MDI software, hit skip. (IF NOT ALREADY CONNECTED TO YOUR PORTABLE DEVICE CONNECT THE NANO THEN CONNECT THE VCX NANO TO THE CARS OBDII PORT)
15. In the Select Diagnostic Tool screen, select J2534 VXDIAG. If you don't see it, there is some issue with the passthru driver install. (TIS WILL INFORM YOU OF THE REQUIRED UPDATE TO J2534 - YOU NEED TO DO THIS! FOLLOW THEIR INSTRUCTIONS)
16. Hit next a few times and tell it what kind of car you have and confirm the VIN.
17. Select (BATTERY ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULE & HYBRID POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE 2. THESE TWO MODULES MUST BE UPDATED TOGETHER AND THE NEW SPS DOES NOT ALLOW FOR SEPARATE UPDATES. TAKE NOTE THAT THE BECM UPDATE WILL PAUSE AT 100% FOR 7-10 MINS, DO NOT CANCEL OR RESTART OR IT WILL BRICK THE MODULE!) Hybrid Powertrain Control Module 2 and hit next
18. Here you can select what software you want to install. Mine was actually out of date so I chose the updated code. If yours is up to date, you should be able to chose the same version and reinstall it. Though, the program will give an error that reinstalling the same code is not recommended.
19. Hit next and watch the progress bar for about 8 minutes while the code installs. (THEN ANOTHER 11 OR SO FOR THE BECM UPDATE AND BECM CONFIRMATION PROCESS. TOTAL PROCESS TOOK ME ABOUT 20 MINS)
20. Once the code is installed, hit the Clear DTCs button, and then cancel out of SPS.
21. Hit the power button to turn off the car, open the door to shutoff the radio. Wait 30 seconds.
22. Power the car back on and everything should be normal!

Thanks again to the original author!! There is no way I would have felt comfortable with this procedure without their detailed instructions. Hopefully the updated notes help save other time and effort and encourage more DIYers :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Im having issues trying to run sps from the acdelco website. Its totally new now from what it says on step 13. I purchased the subscription and have to add VIN new windows pops up but wont load SPS. I am using a windows 7 32bit machine, IE 11 with java 8U45, tried firefox and chrome, same issue. Also tried it on my windows 10 machine and for the heck of it on a vm windows 7 pro. any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I want to give a suggestion to anyone with a "Service High Voltage Charging System" warning. We have a 2015 Volt. When we got this error, we took it to the dealer, and they replaced the "Drive Motor Battery Coolant Level Sensor" opcode 5021400. On November 11, 2019, the GM system at the dealer did not show this as a warranty-covered repair (although it is). The service manager had to contact the "Dealer Business Center" (DBC) through the dealer software (an instant chat platform ) the DBC confirmed that is was covered under the Voltec 8 year 100K mile warranty. The dealer had to print out a copy of the chat so the dealer can be reimbursed for the repair. If you find yourself with this issue, make sure to have the service department contact the DBC to verify. This saved us a $500.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I want to give a suggestion to anyone with a "Service High Voltage Charging System" warning. We have a 2015 Volt. When we got this error, we took it to the dealer, and they replaced the "Drive Motor Battery Coolant Level Sensor" opcode 5021400. On November 11, 2019, the GM system at the dealer did not show this as a warranty-covered repair (although it is). The service manager had to contact the "Dealer Business Center" (DBC) through the dealer software (an instant chat platform ) the DBC confirmed that is was covered under the Voltec 8 year 100K mile warranty. The dealer had to print out a copy of the chat so the dealer can be reimbursed for the repair. If you find yourself with this issue, make sure to have the service department contact the DBC to verify. This saved us a $500.
Thank you, this is great information. It would be even better if you provided the service code or job code they used for the repair. It should be printed on the invoice. That way if one of us has this problem we can provide the service writer the correct code for the warranty repair.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you, this is great information. It would be even better if you provided the service code or job code they used for the repair. It should be printed on the invoice. That way if one of us has this problem we can provide the service writer the correct code for the warranty repair.
I'm having this problem right now with the coolant sensor wiring harness, which should be covered under the Voltec warranty via Service Bulletin PI0961B. So far, the dealership has spent three days attempting to verify the warranty coverage for this, as my car has been sitting there untouched.

If you have the service code or job code available I would be very grateful.

Update: After four days, the dealership was able to obtain authorization to complete the repair under the Voltec warranty. They completed the repair and had the Volt ready for pickup in just a few hours after the authorization was obtained. I will try to find a service code for the job, although I don't recall seeing one on the paperwork.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am having the dreaded Service High Voltage Charging System error message. I am only getting p1e00 code, but it prevents me from charging until I clear the code. The code keeps returning every 7 days. I have installed the canbustools.com mod for the coolant level sensor, replaced the 12 volt battery and all my fluids show full. Any ideas why the code keeps returning. 2013 with 125,000 miles.

·
1,027 Posts
I am having the dreaded Service High Voltage Charging System error message. I am only getting p1e00 code, but it prevents me from charging until I clear the code. The code keeps returning every 7 days. I have installed the canbustools.com mod for the coolant level sensor, replaced the 12 volt battery and all my fluids show full. Any ideas why the code keeps returning. 2013 with 125,000 miles.
It's a latch code. ITS PERMANENT and cannot be cleared without erasing and reprogramming. Although some 3rd party tools ( VCDS HEX CAN ) seems to be able to clear in successfully and not have it return.

·
Registered
19 Posts
p1e00 is generic code and does not point to anything specific. It just tells the computer to turn on the check engine light. There are no other codes.

·
Administrator
20,586 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the link, but I have already had that recall done. On the bright side, it has been over 2 weeks since I last cleared the code and has not come back. Maybe after several cycles it unlatched the hidden codes. I will update if it comes back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well they came back after 2 weeks. I updated my code reader and found codes P1fff and P0aa6. These must be the latched codes. Maybe I can find someone the Dallas area other then the dealership to unlock them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well they came back after 2 weeks. I updated my code reader and found codes P1fff and P0aa6. These must be the latched codes. Maybe I can find someone the Dallas area other then the dealership to unlock them.
The 2013 needs the latest BECM module update to fix the P0AA6 error. This usually occurs after the latest recall for HPCM2, 'Low propulsion' and 'cell balancing' update. If the BECM is not up to date. The BECM update also fixes issues with the coolant level sensor and some other calibrations. The P0AA6 can be cleared with higher end OBD2 readers and apps. Car Scanner is one of them. The error will usually come back after a few drive cycles until the software is updated or the problem fixed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well I bought the VCX Nano and bought the sub. from A/C Delco. Re flashed the HPCM2 and the BECM and cleared the codes. I will know in about 1 week if it worked. For now it is running and charging normal. I work in an industry that services auto dealerships and got to speak with a certified Voltec mechanic in the shop. He is seeing a lot of Volts coming in with these error codes after the cell balancing recall. He is of the mind that the recall created a conflict with the 2 sensors and re flashing the modules has solved the problem. I will re post if problem still persists.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I work in an industry that services auto dealerships and got to speak with a certified Voltec mechanic in the shop. He is seeing a lot of Volts coming in with these error codes after the cell balancing recall.
Can you share what dealership still has a Voltec mechanic? I've been clearing my SHVCS codes for several months using Torque, but one of these days I need to get the update(s) done.

421 - 440 of 472 Posts