GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just dropped my car off at the dealer for this same issue, 2012 volt with 73K miles. I automatically assumed this would be covered past the 36k mile warranty since past vehicles I've owned anything related to safety\seat belts are covered with no question, but the person that received the car said he will call me and let me know if the damage to my wallet. If it anything over $300 i'll just leave as is, the issue only happens intermittently and goes away when I tap the seat.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
There are a few on this forum that had seat sensor problems. Let's say there is a failure rate of one half of one percent. That would mean over 500 failures. One half of one percent does sound like much (with in the bounds of manufacturing error)? On the other hand if that failure happened to you that figure just jumped to 100% failure rate. It's not like the case of the Gen2 Integra that had a close to 100% failure rate of the ICU because the capacitors where to light duty and blew. Replace? So sorry, so sad, no longer available unless you pull one from a wrecked car (which would eventually fail). Fortunately, being low tech, you could pull the ICU and replace the failed capacitors with higher capacity ones or do what I did, disable those features that you could and live with the rest. Japanese cars have failures too as pointed out in this discussion.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I recently purchased the VCX Nano and SPS subscription to reflash my HPCM2 after another issue with the coolant sensor. Is there anyway I can recalibrate or rezero my passenger presence sensor using these tools?

FWIW: According to the Gen1 Service Manual above yes although I have not personally attempted to do this with my nano...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just dropped my car off at the dealer for this same issue, 2012 volt with 73K miles. I automatically assumed this would be covered past the 36k mile warranty since past vehicles I've owned anything related to safety\seat belts are covered with no question, but the person that received the car said he will call me and let me know if the damage to my wallet. If it anything over $300 i'll just leave as is, the issue only happens intermittently and goes away when I tap the seat.
Dealer just called me back, same thing as others in forum, they wanted $500 for parts and $300 for labor, I said I'll pass. They will still charge me a crazy $250 diagnostic fee thou. Sucks. While at it I asked them to flush the trans-axle and break fluid, those are the only two i don't feel comfortable doing myself. Oil change and other minor things I feel comfortable doing on my own. Including those two and the $250 diagnostic fee, the hit to my wallet will be $600.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Dealer just called me back, same thing as others in forum, they wanted $500 for parts and $300 for labor, I said I'll pass. They will still charge me a crazy $250 diagnostic fee thou. Sucks. While at it I asked them to flush the trans-axle and break fluid, those are the only two i don't feel comfortable doing myself. Oil change and other minor things I feel comfortable doing on my own. Including those two and the $250 diagnostic fee, the hit to my wallet will be $600.
I would have got the sensor fixed before the fluid change. My dealer discounted the labor the amount of the diagnostic fee. My family rides in that seat so I wanted to make sure all the airbags work including the one in the seat in case of a crash.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just to add another voice to the choir - this has been happening intermittently for over a year now. It's advanced to being a totally steady indicator, which means I need to fix it to to pass inspection. Not happy, but not seeing any alternatives that work for me either. Will be complaining on the NHTSA site, not that I expect anything to come of that.

OTHERWISE still thrilled with my Volt - all 140K miles.

(oops - really need to update my signature...)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just made a video about this very problem

I have a 2012 Chevy Volt and while most of my mechanical experience is with normal gas engines, the Volt intrigued me enough to buy one.

I had the check airbag light come on and was able to resolve it super simply - check it out on YouTube by searching for:

Chevy Volt Airbag Light by Build Brothers

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 2013 Chevy Volt. My airbag has been going off for almost a year, getting worse and worse.
At first we took it to the dealer who charged almost $200 for a diagnostic check that revealed and fixed nothing.
Probably the error did not happen when we had it at the dealer.
But now it goes off everytime you start the car. If I take it to the dealer, they will no doubt find the problem,
but the fix requires replacing the seat foam as well as the sensor, and that is very expensive as we have
seen on this forum, like $800 to $1500.
I love my volt, but their chevy passenger sensors suck.

I filled out a safety complaint about the Volt airbag.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The video in question just says that his daughter left the window open,
it rained, the passenger seat got damp. He let it dry out again and it works ok now.
Don't bother watching it. Most of us are having way more severe problems than just
a damp seat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 Chevy Volt. I've had the SERVICE AIRBAG warning appear on and off for the last 6 months. It is always after a front seat passenger has exited the vehicle. I have temporarily resolved the issue by repeatedly pushing on the passenger seat cushion - I know this is not a fix. I have read many reports that other Volt owners are encountering this same issue. The NHTSA is investigating under NHTSA Action Number PE19013. I would strongly suggest anyone having this issue file a customer complaint on the NHTSA web site.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
I have a 2012 Chevy Volt. I've had the SERVICE AIRBAG warning appear on and off for the last 6 months. It is always after a front seat passenger has exited the vehicle. I have temporarily resolved the issue by repeatedly pushing on the passenger seat cushion - I know this is not a fix. I have read many reports that other Volt owners are encountering this same issue. The NHTSA is investigating under NHTSA Action Number PE19013. I would strongly suggest anyone having this issue file a customer complaint on the NHTSA web site.
what happens after the passenger exits? Do you then place something on the seat?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
what happens after the passenger exits? Do you then place something on the seat?
No, he said he pushes on the seat until the sensor/switch resets. Not the most elegant solution but will likely get worse rather than better.

·
1,027 Posts
I had this on my ELR. Multiple module replacements. The fix was a redesigned seat cushion that moved the passenger presence circuit and foam locations. I'd assume the volt has a similar fix available if you can find a decent tech who can be bothered to lookup the TSB. Fat chance of that, unless you've got a nice "this guy will sue you" flag in your service records.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a proud Volt and Bolt owner, but recently have had an issue with my Volt. The service airbag light is on, and the dealership says that it is the passenger side seat 'passenger presence module' that needs to be replaced, at a cost of over $800. The car is a 2012 with 65k miles, so is out of warranty, but I just find it really disappointing that this kind of manufacturer issue is not covered by the manufacturer through a recall or factory warranty. This isn't an issue of routine maintenance, and the car has never been in an accident, so it just does not seem like something I should have to pay $800 for. I used to only drive Prius' and Insights, and never had any such issue with my Honda's or Toyota's. I am new to Chevy as of this year with my new bolt and used volt, and am definitely disappointed if this is the level of manufacturer quality I can expect from now on. Has any one else had a similar problem with their first gen volt, and had any luck resolving it? Thanks!
This same light just came on for my 2012 volt as of today! I am also disappointed that it is not covered especially since it is a safety issue! Have loved driving his car since 2015!! Actually have two of them. Will be watching responses to this post with as much interest as you..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Our 2014 Volt has been having this same problem for over a year. It started as a rare occurrence, then over time, has become much, much more common. It happens numerous times on every trip, whether or not there is a passenger in the seat or not. We're up to 145K miles now. My wife had major surgery last year, and this year has been a disaster overall, so I've been distracted from taking action. It's way past time to get this fixed...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Add me to the list as well. Just got the "Service Airbag" error on my display and my Volt has less than 90,000 miles on it. Chevrolet warranty (coporate) says there is nothing they can do and there is no discount for this service due to age and mileage of vehicle. I filed my complaint with the NTSB as well. Not happy that Chevy is not owning up to this issue with so many Volt owners reporting the same issue.

Question for everyone, I've seen some indications that the Foxwell NT630 diagnostics scanner might be able to reset this error message for a few months anyway. Has anyone tried this and doe s it work for awhile? I wouldn't mind inventing the $100 in it and do a reset every few months to get rid of the error message? Beats paying the dealer $800+. Also, if anyone has used it and it worked is it a straight forward process to use and do a reset?

Open to following this tread for new developments and also to hear if anyone has another solution to get rid of this error?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2013 started doing this 3 years ago at 55k. Gotten to where it does it repeatedly everytime i drive. Filed a complaint twice about it. They are doing an investigation but no updates since started in 2018 i think.

Is there an emulator/bypass or something that can be added to just turn on all the time?

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 2013 started doing this 3 years ago at 55k. Gotten to where it does it repeatedly everytime i drive. Filed a complaint twice about it. They are doing an investigation but no updates since started in 2018 i think.

Is there an emulator/bypass or something that can be added to just turn on all the time?
I need the same thing. Just want an emulator to turn it on all the time and be done with it. But so far I have not had any luck. Please let me know if you hear of anything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Internet/Mobile Software Development Life cycle by mlsdev.com/services/software-testing begins with the requirement definition where the business or the customer needs to define the basic requirements. After this step, an interface to the software needs to be designed so that the software can be operated by the end-user. The next stage in the Internet/Mobile software life cycle is testing where software is validated. If during testing the software does not meet the requirements of the user, it needs to be redesigned. The final phase in the Internet/Mobile software life cycle is software implementation, wherein the software is deployed. It is through this phase that software is deployed in a production environment.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts