GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Vauxhall Ampera
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off Apologies if this is the wrong section to post in.

I have a 2012 Vauxhall Ampera (British badged Volt) for almost a year now, for almost a year now.

However for the last couple of months I've started to have an issue with it randomly tripping out the RCBO which my charger is on. (An RCBO is a combination of a RCD/GFCI and MCB / overload Breaker). The odd thing is sometimes it will trip while the car is plugged in but not even charging (on a scheduled timer).

My charger is a Level 2 charger (Being in the UK a 240V circuit is very common) that can charge up to 16A. I did find one post possibly hinting that the initial charge surge can sometimes cause this issue so configured it down to 10A but with no improvement. The circuit it's on is actually capable of 32A.

As of this I don't think it is the over current protection part of the RCBO kicking in as it's rated for 40A and is a Type C (so requires a very significant surge for it to trip). My suspicons are that there's a leakage to earth somewhere.

I've already replaced the charger and done some other electrical testing which now is pretty much gotten to the stage where it's either the RCBO itself is faulty or there is a fault with my car.

Any help on figuring out an issue like this would be appreciated.

Many Thanks, Ryan

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,759 Posts
When the RCBO trips, is there no indicator of the reason . . . e.g. ground fault detected or over-current detected? Have you tried your charger on a circuit without a GFCI? Most (all?) EVSEs have a built-in GFCI and multiple GFCIs are a known problem.

·
Premium Member
2012 Volt Premium (Cyber Gray Metallic) - Stock
479 Posts
Mine started doing this randomly one day and my first troubleshooting step was to replace the GFCI. It hasn’t tripped since. I went with a heavy duty one vs the flimsy one that came with the house. Might just be a bad RCBO/GFCI.

·
Registered
4 Posts
First off Apologies if this is the wrong section to post in.

I have a 2012 Vauxhall Ampera (British badged Volt) for almost a year now, for almost a year now.

However for the last couple of months I've started to have an issue with it randomly tripping out the RCBO which my charger is on. (An RCBO is a combination of a RCD/GFCI and MCB / overload Breaker). The odd thing is sometimes it will trip while the car is plugged in but not even charging (on a scheduled timer).

My charger is a Level 2 charger (Being in the UK a 240V circuit is very common) that can charge up to 16A. I did find one post possibly hinting that the initial charge surge can sometimes cause this issue so configured it down to 10A but with no improvement. The circuit it's on is actually capable of 32A.

As of this I don't think it is the over current protection part of the RCBO kicking in as it's rated for 40A and is a Type C (so requires a very significant surge for it to trip). My suspicons are that there's a leakage to earth somewhere.

I've already replaced the charger and done some other electrical testing which now is pretty much gotten to the stage where it's either the RCBO itself is faulty or there is a fault with my car.

Any help on figuring out an issue like this would be appreciated.

Many Thanks, Ryan
Hi Ryan,

i have a 2012 Opel Ampera in Denmark. Just 2 weeks ago i had the same problem. Went to the Opel service center and it turns out the charge-door receptical was defective. It has some cracks on the backside and the plastic was carbonized between the contacts. It turns out it is a common problem. So I'm waiting for a new recptical to come to the service center.
Br.
Henrik

·
Registered
2012 Vauxhall Ampera
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has it been raining a lot lately? If the car is outside, something could be getting wet.
I live in the UK so it kinda rains a lot, I'd say no more than usual. And yes outside all the time.

When the RCBO trips, is there no indicator of the reason . . . e.g. ground fault detected or over-current detected? Have you tried your charger on a circuit without a GFCI? Most (all?) EVSEs have a built-in GFCI and multiple GFCIs are a known problem.
Unfortunately it's just a Dumb one so there's no indication of which caused it, however the circuit actually has two GFCIs on it but the EVSE doesn't. I can possibly remove one of the GFCIs out of the circuit. I can't try it on a circuit without any GFCI as one is wired before the cable that goes to my garage (there's about a 20M length of cable from the house to the garage where my charger is located).

Mine started doing this randomly one day and my first troubleshooting step was to replace the GFCI. It hasn’t tripped since. I went with a heavy duty one vs the flimsy one that came with the house. Might just be a bad RCBO/GFCI.
Yeah I'm starting to think it could be the GFCI, there is two which @bentbiker said could cause issues. But whenever it trips it's always the same one which is making me wonder if that one has a fault.

Hi Ryan,

i have a 2012 Opel Ampera in Denmark. Just 2 weeks ago i had the same problem. Went to the Opel service center and it turns out the charge-door receptical was defective. It has some cracks on the backside and the plastic was carbonized between the contacts. It turns out it is a common problem. So I'm waiting for a new recptical to come to the service center.
Br.
Henrik
Yeah I think this is the other potential issue, do you have any more details at on how they diagnosed this or such?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live in the UK so it kinda rains a lot, I'd say no more than usual. And yes outside all the time.

Unfortunately it's just a Dumb one so there's no indication of which caused it, however the circuit actually has two GFCIs on it but the EVSE doesn't. I can possibly remove one of the GFCIs out of the circuit. I can't try it on a circuit without any GFCI as one is wired before the cable that goes to my garage (there's about a 20M length of cable from the house to the garage where my charger is located).

Yeah I'm starting to think it could be the GFCI, there is two which @bentbiker said could cause issues. But whenever it trips it's always the same one which is making me wonder if that one has a fault.

Yeah I think this is the other potential issue, do you have any more details at on how they diagnosed this or such?
Hi,
the Ampera did not set any DTC failure cods but when plug in the charge indicator turned yellow and short after triggered the GFCI.

·
Registered
2012 Vauxhall Ampera
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,
the Ampera did not set any DTC failure cods but when plug in the charge indicator turned yellow and short after triggered the GFCI.
Hmm I'll try and look into this, however the main issue I have is that it's intermittent. I also never see the yellow light myself.

Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts