GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 Volt Premium (Cyber Gray Metallic) - Stock
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My 2012 Volt recently has developed an issue where the car gets stuck on the "Waiting to Initialize" message and either does not complete its startup routine, hangs for a long time (30 or so seconds and then starts), or starts but is missing critical info such as the battery gauge on the left of the screen.

This car has recently had:
1. Replacement HV battery installed by a dealer and software updates to allow the P1.7 chemistry pack to work with my 2012's original computer.
2. Replacement of parts in the transmission such as TEHCM (valve body), stator bearing, and a full transmission fluid flush by a local mechanic.
3. Replacement 12V battery as the original 12V battery had failed. I made sure to put a new GM ACDelco AGM EREV battery from a dealer.

My local mechanic gave me the attached printout and said this is probably going to have to go to a dealer, having spent 2x the price of the car in repairs this year I don't want to take it anywhere, but wanted to know if there is anything I can do in the meantime to try and troubleshoot this before I take it back to a dealer?
Font Material property Parallel Screenshot Paper
Font Parallel Screenshot Paper Document

P.S. The dealer I would be considering is Castle Chevrolet (Jaryd Carvell, recommended technician from this forum) which is 3 hours away. I am about to give up on this car and just get something else, as the travel time to Chicago and logistics of getting back have been a nightmare. There are no local mechanics that are willing to work on this car unless it's just maintenance (tires, oil changes, brakes) work. And this is now the third major failure I've had in a year, leaving me stranded at the worst place every time.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
849 Posts
I think that printout is telling you exactly what to do. So, you have two options. Take it to the dealer for them to update as listed, or install the GMTis2web coupled with a VCX Nano and update it yourself. Don't give up, all the hard work is already done!

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that printout is telling you exactly what to do. So, you have two options. Take it to the dealer for them to update as listed, or install the GMTis2web coupled with a VCX Nano and update it yourself. Don't give up, all the hard work is already done!
I took it to the dealer. They didn’t have a tech available, so told me to come back on Monday. I’m not yet ready to give up on this thing, but the leaving me stranded part is making me lose faith in the reliability of this car.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You sure have had a lousy string of luck with your Volt. So sorry, it is such a great car, but wow.

I hope this one is an easy fix.
Yeah. Definitely a warning to anyone that buys from a used car lot with no warranty. And research the car’s history carefully. I found out a year after purchase that my car had its stator bearing, inverter, and multiple modules replaced at under 20k miles and may have had hidden damages (due to multiple warranty visits changing the same thing). None of this even showed up on the Carfax.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At the dealership now. They are trying to do a re-flash of the computer to see if this clears the condition. While pulling in, I did notice that "Waiting to Initialize" showed up on a subsequent restart pulling into the service bay, then after it sat on the screen for a while the engine finally turned over. The other symptom I noticed is I had to cycle the driver side door open/closed several times to get the dash screens to reset. Maybe these two things are related? Will see once they're done...

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So…I have “Loss of Communication with BCM” as one of the hidden codes (that I could not see with my code reader) says the dealer.

Since these were all cleared out back when Jaryd fixed the transmission, is it safe to say have the dealer clear it and then try driving it a bit to see if the problem comes back?

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
do you have scanner to get the codes, Im guessing is generating code type A, that you can only erase with the proper scanner
My scanner does not read the hidden codes. Only their computer could get the “Lost Communication with BCM” code while mine saw nothing. And their laptop seemed to have a bunch of issues even getting that code out, presumably due to unknown issues with my car.

Wheel Tire Car Sky Vehicle

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just did it again, “Waiting to Initialize” and a no-start condition. I’m afraid to drive it to work tomorrow. When it did start, the dash looked like this and “Park Assist Off” showed up without any ability to enable it via the Park Assist button. Thoughts?

Vehicle Car Technology Gadget Font

·
Registered
72 Posts
My scanner does not read the hidden codes. Only their computer could get the “Lost Communication with BCM” code while mine saw nothing. And their laptop seemed to have a bunch of issues even getting that code out, presumably due to unknown issues with my car.

View attachment 173205
so you already check it with dealer scanner or more powerfull scanner like "Launch x431pro, Autel,.." so may be is a wiring issue, to start it up the BCM must communicate with each other...

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, the dealer’s code scanner could only find “Lost Communication with BCM” error codes and I had them clear the hidden codes. The car still behaves the same way, so before I replace any parts, I was thinking of cleaning all the terminals with some contact cleaner.

Anybody else had these issues come and go but go away temporarily if you restart the car?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts