GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
BMason, your timing is impeccable. Or maybe Chevy's timing is. About a month ago on my MY2012, threw C1226 (passenger side front wheel excessive speed variation) as well as the stabilitrak/ABS instrument lights. I changed the sensor myself because cost was low, no help. Finally had my shop check the tone ring...it had disintegrated, with a couple sections of the plastic/magnet ring surface completely gone. They replaced the hub, which fixed the problem.

All was well for literally 180 miles and 2 weeks. Then same instrument lights, but this time C1225 (for the driver side). Back to the shop and they replaced the driver hub as well. The tone ring on the driver side was pretty much gone completely.

I'm planning to start a new thread on this with pictures of my hubs...if it's very wide spread for gen1 volts approaching 66 months or 100k miles in service then perhaps the design had a weak point where slow corrosion was essentially inevitable.

I see from your other thread on the HV pack that you also have a 2012. I wonder what part of the country you live in? Do you know when your volt was put in service?

-russella
Same issue with mines, was driving and suddenly got the stabilitrak\abs MIL message yesterday 8/18/18 - 2012 Volt @ 79k miles, going to try swapping out the speed sensor myself, if that doesn't work I'll take it to the shop to swap out the wheel bearing. ODB codes point to an open circuit driver side speed sensor.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Turns out for me it was the speed sensor, not sure how but it must have at some point rubbed against the spinning axle boots, the cable shield wore out and there was some exposed copper for some time that had turned green. :confused: I looked thru and don't see how it could've happened, the wire was properly routed attached properly with the clips. I swapped it out with a new one ($19 bucks at autozone) issue resolved car stopped complaining. View attachment 155235

1 - 2 of 2 Posts