GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I just find it odd that the bartec saw the sensor but the car didn't. Do you think the sensor is getting weak or is there an issue with the receiver. If it does it again I may just buy a sensor from gm and put it in myself instead of tying up the car for a day over a $60 part.
The sensor should be covered under warranty. Take it to your dealer. They should replace it for free.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I just have an intermittent receiver problem. I'm also starting to think the earlier bird cage thing just have been coincidence.

If it happens again I'll unplug my radar detector and see if it goes out shortly after

A low transmitter battery or radio frequency interference from aftermarket devices, such as 2-way radios, power inverters, computers, etc., may cause a system malfunction. High radio frequency traffic areas, such as gas stations that use pay-at-the-pump radio frequency transponders, may also cause interference that could lead to a malfunction.

FWIW: Heb80 went to the trouble of having the dealer even replace the BCM when his dashcam was actually responsible for the interference causing loss of the Driver's side rear TPS...

I think we could add radar detector to the short list from pg.5654 for aftermarket devices that will cause interference!:D

BTW: It is not usually the radar detector or dashcam that causes the radio interference, it is more than likely the DC to DC power supplies they use that are responsible for the interference. Is it possible you could swap the power supply or simply plug it into another outlet other than the top center nearest the Receiver behind the rearview mirror?:confused:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I removed the radar detector a few days ago while the light was out and the tpms light came on yesterday and is still on now. Again, no signal from the right rear yet the sensor is working great according to our bartec. I'm hopeing it stays on now and doesn't go out like the last few times. If its still on after the weekend Ill make an apointment with the dealer next week to have it looked at. Ill also have them look at the other minor problem i've been having for a few months with the drivers front outter door button intermitantly not working. The button also occasionally doesnt pop back out like the spring is week.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Question for both (labnjab and Bob G) - do you have a dash/windshield mounted anything? GPS, DashCam, Radar detector etc? If so can you remove it and see what happens?

labnjab - you had studded snow tires installed, correct? I'm just wondering if the metal studs might interfere. I wouldn't think so but who knows... you had a bird cage interfere!

Sounds like replacement of the receiver might be in order. labnjab - I can understand a dealership not wanting to send warranty parts off to be installed elsewhere. That's not really how GM's warranty works, although I can completely sympathize with your desire to work on your own car and not make that trip. Perhaps save it for another dealer trip if you can. Otherwise, you know to look at your tires before you head out!
Nothing unusual ... no electronics , other than I usually have my phone in the center cup holder. I did recently upgrade it (from Moto Atrix2 to Samsung GS4). The latest TPMS error went away after a day and has been gone since (5 days).

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Another update. As of this afternoon the light was still on so I decided to swing by the dealer since I was going to be in the area, and make an appointment to have it looked at. About halfway to the dealer it stopped seeing the left rear as well. I get to the dealer, explain the situation to the service writer, and he says just for grins, bring it in and he would relearn them with their tool. So I brought it in, and he relearned all 4 sensors without issues. I then said of course it worked for you, lol. He gave me his card and said to call him if the light came back on to schedule an appointment and I left.

After around 20 miles of driving the light came back on and it had no signal to the right rear again. So I said to my wife I guess I should call Monday and make an appointment. Then not even five minutes later the light went out on its own and stayed out for the rest of the drive home.

So now I'm stuck waiting for it to come on and stay on again so I can get it in to be looked at.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Light has pretty much been on all the time since my last post. Only going off for a few miles here and there, so this week I set up an appointment for December 10th at Portsmouth Chevt. I've also contacted my volt advisor and she is going to help things go smoothly and help make sure they don't just relearn the sensors or replace a sensor since both have already been done and haven't fixed the problem. I'm getting a loaner too, so they can have it till their are positive its fixed.

I've also decided to put my factory wheels and tires on when I drop it off just so they have all the original equipment to work with. I'll keep you updated on how I make out

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Dropped my volt off Tuesday morning and got a call Tuesday afternoon that it was ready to be picked up because they had parts to order that wouldnt be in till next week. Aside from the tpms issue my drivers door exterior unlook button was occasionally sticking and the rear hatch would occasionally not unlock when pressing its open button

They are ordering a new drivers outter door handle which comes with a button and needs to be painted and they said their getting some module or accuator in one of the doors that had something to do with the rear hatch not unlocking and the tpms. I'm hopeing he meant the receiver near the rearview because i see nothing in alldata about a module in a door that has something to do with the tpms.

Either way atleast somethings getting ordered and hopefully every issue will be addressed. They even fully charged it for me so I could make it home gas free.

Im glad I got my volt back till the parts come in because the 2014 malibu 1ls they loaned me got horrible gas mileage, lol. It burned over 2 gallons in the 42 miles i drove it.

Ill keep you updated, the parts wont be in till next week and their going to paint the handle before getting me in

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Got the call yesterday that the parts were in early so I dropped the car off this morning. I happened to talk to the volt tech when I dropped it off and he said there was a tsb that said to replace the remote door lock receiver when tpms was reading -- and replaceing it would probably fix my intermittant rear hatch not unlocking.

Got a call at 1pm that the car was done and I just got back from picking it up. They replaced the drivers outter handle for a sticking button and replaced the remote door lock receiver and reprogramed the power inverter module. They also fully charged it and gave it a free wash. Overall Im happy with my first time ever taking a car to the dealer and happy with Portsmouth Chevy's customer service.

3,608 Posts
Got the call yesterday that the parts were in early so I dropped the car off this morning. I happened to talk to the volt tech when I dropped it off and he said there was a tsb that said to replace the remote door lock receiver when tpms was reading -- and replaceing it would probably fix my intermittant rear hatch not unlocking.

Got a call at 1pm that the car was done and I just got back from picking it up. They replaced the drivers outter handle for a sticking button and replaced the remote door lock receiver and reprogramed the power inverter module. They also fully charged it and gave it a free wash. Overall Im happy with my first time ever taking a car to the dealer and happy with Portsmouth Chevy's customer service.
Afternoon Labnjab,

Glad to hear that your dealer took care of you and your back in your Volt!

-Ian Chevrolet EV Customer Service

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a 2014 Volt and it is having the same problem that has been described on this thread. The dealer was blaming my dashcam but after unplugging the dashcam the problem is still occurring. I am taking the car back into the dealer and will point out the service bulletin PIC5604B. Hopefully they can get this fixed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does the bird normally give you lots of static?

Unlikely that the mesh door interfered but not impossible. It could have acted like a faraday cage to some degree and blocked reception.

Did you have any other electronics in the car? My dashcam in my Caddy causes interference with my tpms and also with my remotes. I tried to shield the dashcam with foil but it has not solved the problem.
I thought the same thing I'm in the middle of testing one thing I did was went to my dash cam settings change the frequency from 60 hertz to 50. We'll see if that does anything or not.

·
Registered
247 Posts
This zombie thread is revived, so I'll give another jolt of adrenaline to keep it going.....
My RR is reading "--", but only when it's well below freezing. If I park that side to the sun and let the tire warm a bit it displays the 37~40 psi that I run these 16 inch studded snows at. If it's my 0dark:30, well below freezing work commute departure, the warning lamp flashes to service the monitor system. The other three tires read an expected pressure always. I'm expecting the battery in the RR transmitter is weak. I didn't renew these when I purchased and mounted the used 16 inch rims, so who knows how old the battery might be.
If I were more motivated, or concerned, I might remount the RR to the RF just to get the tire a bit closer to the receiver, but it's too cold for that outside work and the driveway has inches of glaciated snow that isn't suited for jacks.
Yeah, that's my excuse..

·
Registered
2011 Premium, Nav (added back-up camera! :)
401 Posts
I thought the same thing I'm in the middle of testing one thing I did was went to my dash cam settings change the frequency from 60 hertz to 50. We'll see if that does anything or not.
I doubt the switch to 50 Hz will make a difference considering the TPMS runs at 315MHz, but worth a shot. Might be a more effective test to simply unplug the dashcam...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Wrap the dashcam power adapter ina few layers of tin foil. These often cheaply built devices are notorious for being electrically 'noisy' generating enough interference to prevent the very weak TPMS signal from being received.

·
Registered
2012 Std w Nav
5,082 Posts
Also, TPMS sensors are battery-powered and batteries don't last forever. They WILL fail at some point(typically at about the 8-10 year mark), and they're probably going to START to fail when chemically less active. You can probably expect to replace that sensor in the next year when it fails completely.

·
Administrator
22,504 Posts
Also, TPMS sensors are battery-powered and batteries don't last forever. They WILL fail at some point(typically at about the 8-10 year mark), and they're probably going to START to fail when chemically less active. You can probably expect to replace that sensor in the next year when it fails completely.
Replacing = deflate the tire, break the bead with the wheel, install new sensor, reinflate. My sensors were replaced at year 9 when I put on new tires just as a precaution, not because they were afailing.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts