GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 Volt Premium (Cyber Gray Metallic) - Stock
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Wanted to thank everyone as this forum is super helpful so far!

I have a 2012 Volt purchased Aug. 2020, which has developed some kind of a suspension rattle (not clunk) and am afraid this is internal to the transaxle.

I have replaced:
  • Both axle nuts
  • Both front struts and strut mounts
  • Both front lower control arms
  • Both front outer tie rods
  • Both front CV joints (one was clicking on turns)

All of the above solved the other noises I was getting but the front end still “jumps” at slow speeds, such as going through a bank drive thru and rolling forward.

I took it to a trusted mechanic who says it may be internal to the transaxle, any possibility it is that?

Also, I got the CVT fluid flushed at a shop and checked my front brakes myself, no issues with either (fluid is clean and the calipers are tight).

P.S. front brakes are original as per the used car dealer who took it in on trade.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Permit a WAG: how are the engine mounts.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never thought about checking, but it is worse when the engine is coupled to the drivetrain (the center screen shows Engine + Battery Power) and you increase/decrease the cruise set speed. But the car still does it when on battery only, or engine charging the battery, or at a standstill when just creeping forward (the engine is off in this state).

I have a friend with a ‘08 Impala with a similar issue but it was internal to the auto transaxle, his would “lurch” while moving and feel like the car was about to come apart. Trans mechanic said it’s internal, line pressures are maxed and it’s still doing the same, so I thought mine was internal to the CVT.

Will do some checking tonight.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Question: do the Volts have drivetrain protection in the event of user stupidity? As in, if a valet did a neutral drop, or jammed it into reverse at speed, would that harm the CVT? Reason being, I can’t see how things are this loose without some external force, like previous owner abuse. I do know the car is smooth when going at a fixed speed, it’s only when increasing or lowering cruise or going through a drive thru do I get the “jumps”.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Question: do the Volts have drivetrain protection in the event of user stupidity? As in, if a valet did a neutral drop, or jammed it into reverse at speed, would that harm the CVT? Reason being, I can’t see how things are this loose without some external force, like previous owner abuse. I do know the car is smooth when going at a fixed speed, it’s only when increasing or lowering cruise or going through a drive thru do I get the “jumps”.
It's hard to analyze from "here". I would look at the engine mounts; there is a lot of mass containment of the engine whether it is running or shut off.
From my understanding, shifting from drive to reverse (or the opposite) would not cause undue strain on the system (maybe driving at 60+ mph and dropping it into reverse might heat things up in the motors, but, I don't see unusual stress on the gears).

However, I am not a mechanical engineer and I don't play one on TV. 8^) So, take it with a grain of salt. (Do check the engine mounts for a data point.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts