GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Chevrolet 2012 VOLT it need new battery replacement no one said to keep the car cool to extended the life of the battery’s I get 22 mile to a charge I payed $10 grand for the car and the replacement is $10 Grand or more I have had update after update but nothing help the charging problem Cottonwood Arizona they recall all of the BOLT with battery problem charge fire a good charge is 50 miles or more I love my Chevrolet cars and truck but I wish I never got this car VOLT only have $3000. left and it we’ll be pay off then I we’ll get some new Chevrolet please do me right .

·
Administrator
22,233 Posts
no one said to keep the car cool to extended the life of the battery’s
Well, the owner's manual told you. I guess you did not read it?

Vehicle Charging/Maintenance
Keep the vehicle plugged in, even
when fully charged, to keep the battery temperature ready for the next drive. This is important when
outside temperatures are extremely hot or cold.

Yes, heat will shorten the life of all batteries, whether a battery for a TV remote control, an automotive 12V battery, or the Volt's main traction battery. I have been storing AA and AAA batteries in my refrigerator to extend their life. GM recommends keeping a Volt plugged in. This allows the battery's cooling system to kick in if needed. People will wonder what's causing the pumping noise under the hood of a Volt that's plugged in but turned off. If it's over 86°F in the garage, it's probably the battery cooling system. So the car was designed to automatically cool the battery if the car is plugged in or if it has a sufficient charge. Heats the battery in the winter too if the car is plugged in.

The Bolt EV is a different car, different battery. The original Bolt EV battery had a manufacturing defect that caused a few to burn. So they recalled all the Bolts and replaced the battery. My new Bolt EV battery has a 260 mile range. My 2011 Volt has a 30-35 mile battery range. When new I was getting 45 to 48 miles.

There is a company called Greentec Auto that can do a replacement for about $6k.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the owner's manual told you. I guess you did not read it?

Vehicle Charging/Maintenance
Keep the vehicle plugged in, even
when fully charged, to keep the battery temperature ready for the next drive. This is important when
outside temperatures are extremely hot or cold.

Yes, heat will shorten the life of all batteries, whether a battery for a TV remote control, an automotive 12V battery, or the Volt's main traction battery. I have been storing AA and AAA batteries in my refrigerator to extend their life. GM recommends keeping a Volt plugged in. This allows the battery's cooling system to kick in if needed. People will wonder what's causing the pumping noise under the hood of a Volt that's plugged in but turned off. If it's over 86°F in the garage, it's probably the battery cooling system. So the car was designed to automatically cool the battery if the car is plugged in or if it has a sufficient charge. Heats the battery in the winter too if the car is plugged in.

The Bolt EV is a different car, different battery. The original Bolt EV battery had a manufacturing defect that caused a few to burn. So they recalled all the Bolts and replaced the battery. My new Bolt EV battery has a 260 mile range. My 2011 Volt has a 30-35 mile battery range. When new I was getting 45 to 48 miles.

There is a company called Greentec Auto that can do a replacement for about $6k.
I got my volt used no manual Bolts where recalled fire from the battery

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I got my volt used no manual Bolts where recalled fire from the battery
Even if you don’t have a manual, it’s right there on the screen:
Font Display device Technology Gadget Electronic device

Reactions: axle69

·
Administrator
22,233 Posts
I got my volt used no manual
It's available free at Chevy.com in the Owner Support area as a downloadable PDF. Or you can pay them to print a replacement.

Yes, we all know the Bolt's were recalled. That has nothing to do with your Volt or your lack of an owner's manual.

Reactions: axle69

·
Registered
354 Posts
Does the car work at all? If so, you should consider keeping the battery from getting too low by driving around in "Mountain" mode and also keeping the battery charged as much as possible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can we just say that this poor guy is one of the unlucky people who the rest of us hope we dont become -- experiencing failure of the main battery way too early. He just had bad luck. I didnt care about my main Volt battery until I started reading THIS posting system. I am hoping I dont become like this poor guy, and my main battery lasts (so far at 100k it runs like a champ). Like someone said, the Volt's main battery will likely be re-charged a thousand times in its life, but it was designed for SIX THOUSAND charge-ups. Supposed to be a tough battery. It is just the unlucky that has their main battery fail before its time. When I started reading this post, I hoped he was talking about the little battery in back (I did replace mine eventually), and just by it being in the back, it operates relatively cool. Yeah, this Volt stuff isnt for people who are short of money ... still a great car tho.

·
Registered
2012 Volt Premium. Black exterior & interior. vin:1G1RD6E40CU112975
61 Posts
I understand your current predicament and fell your pain.
Do any messages come up on the dash?
Do you have access to a code reader?

If you can understand what current issues the car has, there maybe a cost effective alternative short of replacing the main traction battery.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
i have never seen that on my screen never
That’s understandable. I’ve been driving my 2012 Volt for 10 years, and yesterday was the first time I viewed that on-screen advice to keep the car plugged in.

JuneBug is correct. Page 5-41 and -42 of your 2012 owner manual show the center console Energy Usage screen, with the Efficiency Tips button in the bottom left. Tap that, and you see the Vehicle Charging tips button. Tap that to get to the on-screen tip about leaving the car plugged in, especially when outside temperatures are extremely hot or cold.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts