GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
but it is OK to open the hood and take a picture and post of the fluid level.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the message twice now. First time dealer drained and refilled the coolant. Second time I Havnt had it looked at. However it will charge in Mountain mode. Half charged the battery. Im thinking it a sensor or something electronically.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have had the car back now for 4 days and no issues. They ended up reprogramming the computer as per GM's tech line. So the car is back to a learning stage. Hopefully a few more runs with the battery and my levels will be back to where they were before the problems.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My 2013 w/ 22k miles finally did the same thing. Fixed rather quickly with a coolant top off and reset of trouble codes. Only downside was that mine occurred on a Thursday and the dealer couldn't get me in until the following Monday at noon. It's my daily driver so almost 5 days of gas only killed my mpg.

·
Administrator
21,043 Posts
My 2013 w/ 22k miles finally did the same thing. Fixed rather quickly with a coolant top off and reset of trouble codes. Only downside was that mine occurred on a Thursday and the dealer couldn't get me in until the following Monday at noon. It's my daily driver so almost 5 days of gas only killed my mpg.
This is a totally preventable issue. But it requires popping the hood and looking at the fluid levels. If low either top off or take to the dealer so you can avoid this issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got the same message, looked it up on-line and figured I had low coolant too. Popped the hood and to my surprise it wasn't low. Took It to my dealer and discovered it was a faulty coolant level sensor. Apparently this is not an uncommon occurrence.

·
Super Moderator
6,422 Posts
A few years ago our 2011 Volt got the High Voltage Charging System (HVCS) while on a trip out of town and they did the service to fix it which I think was adding a sensor and software (plus anti-tampering cap ring).

Now with ~68K miles on it got the message again and the codes were P0114 (PO114?) and P1E00 (PIE00?). My coolant level was at the bottom of the sticker (vs top) but that didn't seem like it would trigger it.

Searches using those codes didn't help so I thought I'd post in case others get this with my codes.

They fixed it with PI-0732 (PI0732) to reprogram the Hybrid Powertrain Control Module 2 (HPCM 2) document ID 2842919 they printed off for me didn't seem to match my situation (codes or desc) but worked anyway. No charge and I got my oil change and new air filter put on. $66.13 out the door.

[update]One sucky think that didn't happen was there was the outstanding recall for the gas engine running in the garage too long and they didn't seem to apply it when I had it in.[/update]
[update]They called and want me to bring my car in a again for the software update. Really wish they'd do that OTA![/update]

Image: http://i.imgur.com/ga4Uaym.png

·
Registered
92 Posts
Is this something that should be "topped off?" I would think it's a sealed system and would only be low of it was leaking?

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,422 Posts
Is this something that should be "topped off?" I would think it's a sealed system and would only be low of it was leaking?
Good question. They did not do that with mine but because I have to take it back next Fri as they missed checking for other recalls ... I will point out the "Preliminary Service Bulletin PI0961 | GM Document 3938762 | Service Update Campaign 14114" to them.
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...ttery-Coolant-Level-Low&p=1634697#post1634697

·
Registered
65 Posts
I also got the dreaded message on my 2014 with 82k miles. First time happened about two weeks ago. I had to pull my L2 charger out mid-charge to go do some errands. Since I only had about half charge, I ran the engine a bit on the highway to save battery for stop and go traffic I would experience later. After driving about 30 miles, I got to my location that has a free L2 charging and noticed that the warning had gone away. I charged up there and hoped things would be fine. Yesterday, same thing. I pulled out my charger mid-charge again. Soon as I got in the car, the warning was there. I tried doing the same thing, running on engine a bit, but this time the warning is staying. I checked coolant level the first time and it was just above the "line". My local dealer had no Volt appointments until next week, so I'm taking it in on Saturday for regular servicing and they said they would scan the codes and determine what they'll need to do when I bring it back next week.

I'm hoping its simple of course, either top off more, or maybe a bad coolant sensor. Guess it could be the charging port possibly. I read the codes and they are the generic ones.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also got the dreaded message on my 2014 with 82k miles. First time happened about two weeks ago. I had to pull my L2 charger out mid-charge to go do some errands. Since I only had about half charge, I ran the engine a bit on the highway to save battery for stop and go traffic I would experience later. After driving about 30 miles, I got to my location that has a free L2 charging and noticed that the warning had gone away. I charged up there and hoped things would be fine. Yesterday, same thing. I pulled out my charger mid-charge again. Soon as I got in the car, the warning was there. I tried doing the same thing, running on engine a bit, but this time the warning is staying. I checked coolant level the first time and it was just above the "line". My local dealer had no Volt appointments until next week, so I'm taking it in on Saturday for regular servicing and they said they would scan the codes and determine what they'll need to do when I bring it back next week.

I'm hoping its simple of course, either top off more, or maybe a bad coolant sensor. Guess it could be the charging port possibly. I read the codes and they are the generic ones.
My 2014 has almost the exact same mileage and today I got the message about servicing the high voltage charging system. I've scheduled an appointment for Saturday. I also have the recall notice that needs to be addressed for the reprogramming for the loss of propulsion message so hopefully they can fix it all at once. How did yours turn out?

·
Registered
6 Posts
My son has a 2013 Volt with the same problem. The car is out of warranty and the coolant level is not a problem. He has been using my ODB2 scanner to reset the codes. Can we just proactively replace the coolant level sensor? Worst case, the problem is not fixed.

·
Registered
Chevy Volt 2013, 250k km still 13,8kWh battery for 70-75km. driving 53km to work daily
62 Posts
Replacing the sensor can help. If you have VCX nano, you can check measured isolation resistance, then you will know, if the DTCs are triggering by the resistance, or a sensor. If not, you can try it as preventing.
It is written 100times, but one more time warning:
Open the hood, lock your car, go to walk for half an hour, and AFTER then, go back to the car and disconnect the sensor. If you disconnect the sensor before the car "go to the sleep", you risk the uneraseable DTCs, and without the reflashing the ECUs, the wall-charger will be not working anymore.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My son has a 2013 Volt with the same problem. The car is out of warranty and the coolant level is not a problem. He has been using my ODB2 scanner to reset the codes. Can we just proactively replace the coolant level sensor? Worst case, the problem is not fixed.
I've been doing the same thing. The coolant level is fine, but I have to clear the codes every couple days. I assume since the coolant is topped off, this is probably a faulty coolant sensor and no damage is being done to the battery? Did you have any luck replacing the sensor on your own?

·
Registered
6 Posts
We installed the sensor bypass device and within a day or two the codes reappeared. Will probably need to reprogram the car firmware to fix this.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,691 Posts
We installed the sensor bypass device and within a day or two the codes reappeared. Will probably need to reprogram the car firmware to fix this.
Installing the defeat plug AFTER the latching codes have been set won't solve the problem. Somebody, you or the dealer, will have to do the reprogramming. Same for installation of a new sensor. Since the "sensor is nothing more than a reed switch activated by a magnet in the reservoir, who knows whether the bouyancy of the magnet is off or whether the mass of the reed is such that hitting a bump causes it to bounce, but I'm doubtful that new sensors really solve the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I figured that it wouldn't hurt to install the bypass and that it might solve the problem. My mistaken reading of the problem based on the responses in the forum is that that stopping recurrence of codes that could be cleared would end the problem. I agree that there is not much point in replacing the sensor and using the bypass eliminates the sensor as a cause of spurious code triggering . There are other systems that would detect a problem.

I presume that at some point we will be unable to clear the codes. Or could it go on like it is now where we can just clear them. I would almost rather keep resetting the codes as long as that works and resort to the reprogramming only if we are suddenly no longer able to clear the codes. I wonder if anyone here has "bricked" their controller and whether that can be fixed by a dealer or requires replacement of the controller.

I'm just wondering now if I I should try to "rent" a reprogrammer from someone local vs purchasing one to save a little $$ and help someone else defray the cost of their purchase.

Tom

Installing the defeat plug AFTER the latching codes have been set won't solve the problem. Somebody, you or the dealer, will have to do the reprogramming. Same for installation of a new sensor. Since the "sensor is nothing more than a reed switch activated by a magnet in the reservoir, who knows whether the bouyancy of the magnet is off or whether the mass of the reed is such that hitting a bump causes it to bounce, but I'm doubtful that new sensors really solve the problem.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I figured that it wouldn't hurt to install the bypass and that it might solve the problem. My mistaken reading of the problem based on the responses in the forum is that that stopping recurrence of codes that could be cleared would end the problem. I agree that there is not much point in replacing the sensor and using the bypass eliminates the sensor as a cause of spurious code triggering . There are other systems that would detect a problem.

I presume that at some point we will be unable to clear the codes. Or could it go on like it is now where we can just clear them. I would almost rather keep resetting the codes as long as that works and resort to the reprogramming only if we are suddenly no longer able to clear the codes. I wonder if anyone here has "bricked" their controller and whether that can be fixed by a dealer or requires replacement of the controller.

I'm just wondering now if I I should try to "rent" a reprogrammer from someone local vs purchasing one to save a little $$ and help someone else defray the cost of their purchase.

Tom
Try the Facebook site. They have a lot of program people there

·
Registered
4 Posts
What ODB2 scanner are you using. I need to get one to reset my Code. This Coolant issue repeats itself ad-nauseum!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a used 2013 Volt and have been having repeated Service High Voltage Charging messages and issues. A local electric vehicle repair shop has struggled to pinpoint the issue, replacing the sensor and topping off the fluid levels. But it's still happening, A LOT, even after "repairs". I began to notice some patterns I am wondering if they are contributing to the sensor issues? On a coupe of occasions I move my Volt out of my level garage and onto a moderate inclined driveway, and the Service High Voltage Charging warning would come on afterwards. I also left the charger in for day and half instead of usual overnight charging time, again, the Service High Voltage Charging message. The fluid levels and sensors seem to be part of the issue. I now want to purchase my own Senor reset gizmo and wondering which one do I need. Any suggestions or recommendations?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts