GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I've searched high and low for an answer here and there's no good way to search for this! (Too long of a thread to search!)

Is there ANY way to turn off the feature that slows down the AC fan when a call comes in or goes out?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Just turn the fan up.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I know this is not really the answer you seek, but it is another way to work around your issue. When It's hot and you don't want the fan speed to drop, right after you make the call, using the dial pad of your phone press the Bluetooth button to turn it off. This will disconnect your phone from your car for this one call only. The next time you make a call it will connect up as normal. Of course the downside is during this call you will have to use your handset for the call, instead of the hands free through the audio system of the car.

Perhaps like me, when you first get in the car it's hot and you want it to cool down quickly, but you need to make a call. This way you can stay parked while you make the call while the car is cooling down.

Flip-side is you can use your phone's app to pre-cool your car 10 minutes before you get in. With the car already cooled down a drop in fan speed may not be a big deal.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just turn the fan up.
Painfully obvious. The question was in regards to a way to automatically handle this. Thanks for your time though, albeit confusing why you took it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On my 2012 I'm not aware of a way to disable that feature, but it's possible to manually increase the fan speed so I just do that.
Yes, I too manually increase the speed but this takes away from the "hands free" element and thought there might be a solution.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know this is not really the answer you seek, but it is another way to work around your issue. When It's hot and you don't want the fan speed to drop, right after you make the call, using the dial pad of your phone press the Bluetooth button to turn it off. This will disconnect your phone from your car for this one call only. The next time you make a call it will connect up as normal. Of course the downside is during this call you will have to use your handset for the call, instead of the hands free through the audio system of the car.

Perhaps like me, when you first get in the car it's hot and you want it to cool down quickly, but you need to make a call. This way you can stay parked while you make the call while the car is cooling down.

Flip-side is you can use your phone's app to pre-cool your car 10 minutes before you get in. With the car already cooled down a drop in fan speed may not be a big deal.
Good suggestion on the Bluetooth part. I see you're in Tenn. so you can understand the terrible humid heat we have in the southeast...and you're right on the money with the second sentence. It seems I wait to make calls until I get to my car OR I always get called when I get in my car and its very hot. I'll have to be more cognoscent of pre-cooling my car moving forward, I think that may be the best solution.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
If you're in range of the car (say, within 100 ft) a few minutes in advance of getting in, you can roll all of the windows down by holding the unlock button down on your remote fob for a few seconds.
Just a few minutes with the car windows open before you get in can make a difference.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Literally one push of the fan button puts it back to normal speed operation, is that so hard? When the weather is mild I appreciate the automatic quieting feature, it would be more hassle to turn that feature on and off than it is to simply hit the fan button when you want the fan to stay at speed.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yeah, doesn't bother me much, but it's a typical "GM Knows Best" attitude that seems to have permeated the whole design. I had though (based on my last few GM Trucks) that they were actually getting over that attitude, but it seems like they've relapsed.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Actually it's kind of an amazing idea and I would never have thought about it! It cuts the fan to cut the noise for the in-car mike when doing a hands-free call? -- brilliant. Really remarkable that anyone would have thought to engineer this. But, yes, it would also be a good thing that a shut-off option would be included. Perhaps with the next software update....

Which, on a totally different subject, for another thread, why does Chevy charge for installing the software updates? I just learned that bit, too, yesterday. $70 to have the dealer mechanic plug a usb in an zap the latest firmware....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Literally one push of the fan button puts it back to normal speed operation, is that so hard? When the weather is mild I appreciate the automatic quieting feature, it would be more hassle to turn that feature on and off than it is to simply hit the fan button when you want the fan to stay at speed.
Not sure why you're wasting your time here...again, the reason I ask is because I've had my car three weeks and I didn't know If I was overlooking a setting. Clearly, the purpose of "hands free Bluetooth" is slightly diminished when I have to reach forward during every call and turn my AC back up during my calls. No, I'm not too lazy to do it, but I do find it annoying that it goes almost all the way down. So to your point, that is much more than "one push" its actually three to four.

I'd much rather turn up my volume on my steering wheel If I'm having trouble hearing and keep my eyes on the road than have to lean forward, take my eyes off the road, and turn my AC up during each call.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you're in range of the car (say, within 100 ft) a few minutes in advance of getting in, you can roll all of the windows down by holding the unlock button down on your remote fob for a few seconds.
Just a few minutes with the car windows open before you get in can make a difference.
I utilize this fairly often... It does help but in 100 degree/100% humidity south and being that I have had my Volt 3 weeks, I just thought there may be an actual solution to the topic.

3,608 Posts
Ok, I've searched high and low for an answer here and there's no good way to search for this! (Too long of a thread to search!)

Is there ANY way to turn off the feature that slows down the AC fan when a call comes in or goes out?
AppState08

Unfortunately there is no feature to adjust for the option that you are looking for in the climate setting with the Bluetooth.

Feedback from customers, such as you, is very helpful to us. I have documented your concern and will be forwarding your comments to the appropriate department for their consideration.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact one of our Electric Vehicle Advisors at 877-486-5846. Electric Vehicle Advisors are available Monday through Friday 8:00 am – 9:00 pm, and Saturday 11:00 am – 8:00 pm Eastern Time

Melissa Electric Vehicle Advisor Team
Volt Line: 877-486-5846
Spark Line: 855-477-2754
ELR Concierge: 855-463-6357
Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
.... It seems I wait to make calls until I get to my car OR I always get called when I get in my car and its very hot... ..
You and you alone manage when you are on the phone.... you have to set your priorities, and not let others or generational custom do it for you:

Do you take calls when sitting on the ceramic throne??? or standing in front of it, if applicable??? no, do you take or make calls when you are working out? or out to dinner with your family?? or in a movie theater??? or engaged in some close up face to face time with your significant other??? I hope the answer is No to all of these, and the same personal time management should apply to getting into the car: Get in, get settled, get it started and warmed up/cooled down, make sure you ready to either talk or drive, only then deal with lesser issues like listening to your messages or taking a call unscreened...

·
Registered
473 Posts
AppState08

Unfortunately there is no feature to adjust for the option that you are looking for in the climate setting with the Bluetooth.

Feedback from customers, such as you, is very helpful to us. I have documented your concern and will be forwarding your comments to the appropriate department for their consideration.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact one of our Electric Vehicle Advisors at 877-486-5846. Electric Vehicle Advisors are available Monday through Friday 8:00 am – 9:00 pm, and Saturday 11:00 am – 8:00 pm Eastern Time

Melissa Electric Vehicle Advisor Team
Volt Line: 877-486-5846
Spark Line: 855-477-2754
ELR Concierge: 855-463-6357
Email: [email protected]
Please do not waste development time with this. I'd much rather have the ability to keep the radio on while on a phone call then bother with a feature that is so easily overridden. If I'm listening to an important weather, news or traffic alert, and get a call from my panic'd wife, I don't want the radio to go dead while on the call; and there's NO WAY to override this like there is with the fan volume adjustment.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Just be glad they did not decide to slow the car down when the windows are open so the voice input could work better.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
First reply had the correct answer - IF we said were were bumping the thread we would be SHOT.

We are still waiting for Elemental to jump in.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Which, on a totally different subject, for another thread, why does Chevy charge for installing the software updates? I just learned that bit, too, yesterday. $70 to have the dealer mechanic plug a usb in an zap the latest firmware....
They shouldn't. Mine didn't. Try a different dealer. Call the Volt Adviser.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts