GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago a passed around the idea of reprogramming the Mountain Mode to serve as a suedo Hold Mode for MY2012. With no luck I am on to a simpler solution of running a wire to the hood switch so I can enable the ICE manually. This is simple enough.

My question is, what effect does this have on a fully charged battery?

This will solve my problem if it will cause no damage to the system.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Are you sure that just starting the engine in maintenance mode by creating a false open hood signal will actually provide power to the system? Will the vehicle continue to operate normally otherwise with the hood "open"?

I say just drive normally. Let it do its thing.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
What is the point/goal? Just drive like it's 2012.

Asking the same question over and over will yield no new info...

·
Registered
679 Posts
There have been posts of someone being able to reprogram their 2012 to have a hold mode, the open engine, or using the OAT sensor to kick in ERDTT won't give the same benefit. ERDTT on my 2013 runs at 1400 rpm and 40% load, it will not give enough juice. you might want to check a 2012 unplug your OAT sensor and the engine runs all the time, easy to put a switch. you would need something to tell you how much load and rpm a 2012 in erdttm mode gives. I'm surprised someone hasn't posted a hack that can be loaded, I really think the 2012 came with hold just no option in the GUI. good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know how it will operate, that is my question to the forum. The Hold Mode is brilliant solution for a 16.5kWh battery that is brilliantly designed to limit it's capacity for longevity. Those of us early adopters who tried to tell GM they needed the Hold Mode in 2011/2012 were unsuccessful in our plea.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe the same thing but Voltdata swears it is a whole lot more than GUI. I understand GM's liability reason for not supplying to the less than 10,000 units but I can't understand why a simple hack has not surfaced.

·
4,852 Posts
I don't know how it will operate, that is my question to the forum. The Hold Mode is brilliant solution for a 16.5kWh battery that is brilliantly designed to limit it's capacity for longevity. Those of us early adopters who tried to tell GM they needed the Hold Mode in 2011/2012 were unsuccessful in our plea.
I would still argue nobody "needs" a Hold Mode. Mountain Mode on the earlier Volts can suffice as a "40% Hold Mode"

You can't rig the hood switch to do this, that mode doesn't provide power from the engine to the battery. You'll just be burning gas and getting nothing from it.

The 2011 and 2012 "ERDTLT" operates with full demand response, unlike the newer model years, so your best bet might be to find a way to trick it into thinking it's under 26F outside and the coolant temperature isn't warm. But that also sounds risky.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Clarkson. That's all I needed to know. I guess I am back to looking for an adjustment to the Mountain Mode. I obviously do not have to have it but it is a more efficient use of heat in certain driving conditions.
Thanks again for the response!

·
Administrator
20,017 Posts
The 2011 and 2012 "ERDTLT" operates with full demand response, unlike the newer model years, so your best bet might be to find a way to trick it into thinking it's under 26F outside and the coolant temperature isn't warm. But that also sounds risky.
There are posts here explaining how to do this trick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts