GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Chevy Volt Premium, Pearl White
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone. I own a base '12 Volt (129k miles) and I just got a premium '12 Volt (42k miles) with Bose system and navigation. The navigation is nice, but so far, I prefer the stereo on the base Volt in that I can play music on my Android phone via Bluetooth and use the dash and steering wheel controls for just about everything. I can't do anything with my phone on the Bose system other than connect it via aux input. USB connection didn't do anything. If anyone has any input on this, please let me know as the forums that touch on this subject are pretty outdated. Also, not sure how to add vehicles to appear at the bottom of my posts.

·
Super Moderator
6,245 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did. I have an Android phone.

·
Registered
790 Posts
As far as I know, the difference between the Bose system and the base system is the addition of a subwoofer, different amps and speakers. There is no change to the actual radio as far as I know so there is no reason why Bluetooth wouldn't work on your new '12 Volt.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I would copy the music on your phone onto a thumb drive and use that. When you have two smart systems (phone and car) they often have problems getting along.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Most 2012s don't have USB streaming from smart devices. They'd play from USB mass storage (thumb drives and the like) and then-contemporary iPods, but that was about it. Some late 2012 got kind of "bridge radios" and some of the features that ended up in actual MyLink. I bet if I checked the door stickers, the Premier was actually built late in 2011 and the Base in spring of 2012.

My workaround for my "October 2011" Base with Bose/Nav is an add-on Bluetooth receiver stashed in the armrest, drawing power from a usb power gizmo in the accessory socket and piping the output into the AUX jack. My phone pairs media output to the gizmo and ALSO gets a power line from the accessory power socket thing and it rides on a beanbag mount above the center console screen. The handsfree pairing is to the Volt's onboard BT for call management. It all works relatively smoothly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Hellsop. USB thumbdrive worked well. I also downloaded my music from the thumbdrive onto the Volt's hardrive. I just need to learn how to divide my music by genre or folders when I do it this way.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Thanks, Hellsop. USB thumbdrive worked well. I also downloaded my music from the thumbdrive onto the Volt's hardrive. I just need to learn how to divide my music by genre or folders when I do it this way.
For Windows machines, Mp3tag does an amazing job of managing this kind of thing, to the point of being able to take a folder full of MP3s and ACC mp4s and organize them into folders based on the artist and album tags, and make sure that the tags are written in ID3v1 tags that the Volt reads reliably.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts