GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 Volt Premium (Cyber Gray Metallic) - Stock
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well…I am an idiot for not noticing that the previous owner curbed the front bumper on my 2012 Volt repeatedly, and this weekend when I went to replace the torn air dam (it was already bad when I bought the car used) I realized the plastic bumper piece the air dam screws into is broken in multiple places.

Does (a) anyone know where to get this part for a reasonable cost online and (b) how bad is this affecting my mpg? I have a new reman battery and can only get 44-45 miles of range now, I’m told the reman batteries usually deliver up to 48 (at least by Volt tech Jaryd Carvell, who has worked on a ton of these)…

·
Administrator
21,036 Posts
ebay, auto salvage, online GM parts/chevy dealer

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd be thrilled to see 44 miles EV on my 2013.
Original battery? When I bought mine used, getting 24-29 was a challenge. Same driving style on the new battery gets me 40+ in mostly country road (45-55mph) driving with the occasional highway sprint following the speed limit.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Original battery? When I bought mine used, getting 24-29 was a challenge. Same driving style on the new battery gets me 40+ in mostly country road (45-55mph) driving with the occasional highway sprint following the speed limit.
Probably the original battery. But about half of my driving is 55mph or higher, so my average of about 38 miles (in summer) so nothing to complain about.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
The battery of a Gen 1 Volt getting 9.7 kWh Used from a full charge and with the GM programmed 65% of full capacity Electric Mode usable window has a full capacity of roughly 14.9 kWh.

Does this This Charge picture showing 9.7 kWh Used represent the full charge, or did you take that picture before you had driven beyond battery range? If 9.7 kWh Used is only a portion of the full charge you normally get, what is the kWh Used reading you normally get by driving beyond battery range?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I went to replace the torn air dam (it was already bad when I bought the car used) I realized the plastic bumper piece the air dam screws into is broken in multiple places. Does (a) anyone know .... how bad is this affecting my mpg?
I remove(d) my lower air dam, the three piece section under the bumper cover, for the winters so that the the snow wouldn't continually catch and risk tearing it off. I'd neglect to re-install it come spring and did not detect any trend difference in miles per kWh with or without.
If the lower matte finish section of the bumper cover is secure to the upper painted part, just leave it. Forget about the lip below the lower cover section.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The battery of a Gen 1 Volt getting 9.7 kWh Used from a full charge and with the GM programmed 65% of full capacity Electric Mode usable window has a full capacity of roughly 14.9 kWh.

Does this This Charge picture showing 9.7 kWh Used represent the full charge, or did you take that picture before you had driven beyond battery range? If 9.7 kWh Used is only a portion of the full charge you normally get, what is the kWh Used reading you normally get by driving beyond battery range?
The picture was taken when I had gotten back from a 44 mile trip (all on battery) and pulled back into my garage. The GOM said I had 1 mile of battery left, but that mile usually goes by quickly, and rarely gives me a full mile of driving.

If I were to keep going until the engine kicked on, I usually would get around 10kWh or a little under, weather dependent. But 10 is the max I’ve seen on my 2012, not sure how some are getting to 11kWh before the engine starts…

Is there a setting in the configuration or dealer programming that allows “access” to this extra kWh like some members here are getting?

·
Registered
170 Posts
If I were to keep going until the engine kicked on, I usually would get around 10kWh or a little under, weather dependent. But 10 is the max I’ve seen on my 2012, not sure how some are getting to 11kWh before the engine starts… Is there a setting in the configuration or dealer programming that allows “access” to this extra kWh like some members here are getting?
My 2014 was 10.2 kWh when I bought it used with about 30k miles. I'm at 70k+ miles and am now seeing 9.7 to 9.8 kWh per 'full' charge. I don't recall reading of anyone getting over 10.5 on ONE full charge. A partial charge will permit additional kWh counting since the last completed full charge, but a single full to empty without a 'splash and dash' in a gen1 is right around 10 kWh.
The battery has (had) a capacity of about 16.5 kWh, but the GM engineers have limited owner use to 10+ kWh of that capacity to prolong battery life. This creates a buffer at each end to slow battery degradation from over charging and damage from running completely empty. There was an aftermarket 'tuner' in Canada (Montreal area?) that had a hack to permit using more of the upper state of charge buffer (something like charging to 95% of battery capacity rather than stopping charge at a factory 85%), but there's no GM sanctioned adjustment.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So basically, they are cheating to get those numbers. Drive the full 10kWh, plug in 1 hour or so, unplug it before the charge is full (I don't do that) and then drive until the extra kWh is used. I can see how that would show 11kWh.

Glad to hear my car is functioning normally.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There is another option if you are handy with a glue-gun you can do it... Consider removing the air dam, and welding the plastic. You can get a harbor freight plastic weld kit for under $20 which is basically a low temperature soldering iron with a triangle tip...It includes stainless steel mesh for reinforcement and some plastic strips to fill with. You would be surprised how much damage can be repaired that way....I fixed rear bumper collision which ripped off all the mounts and hit held for years with no issues...

Bumper Welding

Bumper Welding with mesh reinforcement

Butane torch w/ steel mesh w/ plastic iron

For detail work, or rebuilding missing plastic tabs you can try spin welding... just order some cheap 3d printer plastic spools and use a roto tool... I'm planning to use the white plastic to repair some missing facing on a dryer. 8) A bit of sanding and it will look just fine.
Spin Welding

1 - 12 of 12 Posts