GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've just had the Chevrolet dealer complete the first repair out of warranty on my 2012 Volt. The extended warranty I had purchased with the car expired last month.

In August, as preventative maintenance, I did pay to replace the 12-volt battery.

The first sign that I needed a repair was the cooling system fans would come on and run on high (even when the weather was not warm). This was accompanied by a system (SES) light.

The G.M. certified technician performed a wiggle test on the intake air temperature wiring (which failed). He then dissected the mass air flow wiring harness, and found three wires broken inside wire insulation at the mass air flow sensor connector. Consequently, he replaced all wires at the mass air flow sensor.

When the system had difficulty measuring air intake, it defaulted to running the cooling fans on high in order to protect the car's electronics. Now that is great engineering!

The service writer also told me that the wiring break is typically caused by rodents chewing on the wiring, but in my case there were none of the bite marks seen in such cases.

If you are a G.M. employee or retiree, let your dealer know and you will receive a 10% discount on parts.

The 2012 Volt has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. In five years, this is only the second repair requiring troubleshooting.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I've just had the Chevrolet dealer complete the first repair out of warranty on my 2012 Volt. The extended warranty I had purchased with the car expired last month.

In August, as preventative maintenance, I did pay to replace the 12-volt battery.

The first sign that I needed a repair was the cooling system fans would come on and run on high (even when the weather was not warm). This was accompanied by a system (SES) light.

The G.M. certified technician performed a wiggle test on the intake air temperature wiring (which failed). He then dissected the mass air flow wiring harness, and found three wires broken inside wire insulation at the mass air flow sensor connector. Consequently, he replaced all wires at the mass air flow sensor.

When the system had difficulty measuring air intake, it defaulted to running the cooling fans on high in order to protect the car's electronics. Now that is great engineering!

The service writer also told me that the wiring break is typically caused by rodents chewing on the wiring, but in my case there were none of the bite marks seen in such cases.

If you are a G.M. employee or retiree, let your dealer know and you will receive a 10% discount on parts.

The 2012 Volt has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. In five years, this is only the second repair requiring troubleshooting.
I have a 2012 as well. Great car. What was your cost?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts