GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Engine Unavailable" error & no help from Chevy to cover Transmission repair

What up fellow Volt owners: I'm frustrated, sad, and looking for any last glimmer or hope or even just a place to vent.

I purchased my 2012 volt from a dealer here in CA just three years ago at about 70,000 miles; Recently at just over 102,000 miles it threw up an "Engine Unavailable" error while trying to enter the highway, and has been sitting at the dealership now for FOUR MONTHS while I've been fighting to get GM to do anything to help. The dealership wants over $6K to completely repair the transmission since it's just outside of the warranty coverage, and GM has strung me along through this entire process suggesting that they'd be able to help repair it. At one point they authorized the repair of a transmission control unit under warranty, but that didn't solve the problem and they're refusing any further assistance.

I've seen numerous reports of people driving their Volts well beyond 200,000 miles, so I can't believe this kind of failure is normal. I've keep it regularly maintained, driven it kindly, and the car is only half paid off so I'm absoloutly gutted to think it's going to end up as scrap. All I wanted was to keep driving this car til the end of it's useful life, but I can't justify paying what they're asking for the rebuild. Has anyone else run into transmission failure this early in the life of their Volt? The dealership was kind enough to give me a loaner car for a few weeks, but I've had to alternate between borrowing a friends car, renting a vehicle, and taking ride shares for months now. I've already appealed to Chevy warranty support directly, but they didn't seem to care that the car is only slightly over the typical powertrain warranty mileage cap. I even had the car in for service at 99,000 miles before all this happened, but no issue with the transmission was found at that time. I detest going back to a typical gas powered car, but I'm limited to what the current dealer has in stock as to get the most on my trade in. If anyone has any kind of advice on a way to save my volt from the junkyard, I'd really appreciate it.

· Registered
4,151 Posts
Transmission failures my number one indicator of time to dump the car.

5,595 Posts
Where in CA? I had the same thing happen. If the car was originally sold in CA, the Voltec warranty covers up to 150,000 miles. Mine failed at 146,000 miles and I got a the dealer fixed it for free!
Yeah, this may save you. My wife's 2012 had a 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty (not purchased in CA), so if it was ruled a powertrain issue, versus Voltec, then you'd be out of luck based on calendar time, even if you were under 100,000 miles. But it sounds like based on other experiences here this may be part of the Voltec components that are covered. And in CA you're good through 150,000 miles on that apparently.

Look up your specific car's warranty at https://my.chevrolet.com/warranty

Let us know what you find out!

· Registered
2015 Red Volt
2,291 Posts
You can buy a used "transmission" (Electric Drive Unit) from car-part.com--I see lots of them listed on the site from $700-$1100.

· Registered
1 Posts
Any updates? My dealer recommended transmission replacement on my 2013 for $7600. I have 138k miles and am in California. I was told my Powertrain warranty is expired which I knew but didn’t know that our transmission is aka Electric Drive Unit which should be covered under Voltec Warranty. I will be contacting GM customer care tomorrow about covering under Voltec Warranty. Any help is much appreciated.

· Registered
58 Posts
Any updates? My dealer recommended transmission replacement on my 2013 for $7600. I have 138k miles and am in California. I was told my Powertrain warranty is expired which I knew but didn’t know that our transmission is aka Electric Drive Unit which should be covered under Voltec Warranty. I will be contacting GM customer care tomorrow about covering under Voltec Warranty. Any help is much appreciated.
Hey there, the transmission is most definitely covered under the voltec 10 year 150k warranty, Doesn’t matter if you’re not the first owner but it had to have been sold and originally titled it in California and currently registered in California you need to get GM corporate involved

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.