GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 volt just started making loud noises, most markedly when deccelerating. It seems a very good match for the "table saw turning off" noise from a bad rotor/stator bearing. I found service bulletin IP5081, superseded by 0A46. It is driving fine. The noise seems to have diminished somewhat, though maybe I"m just accustomed.

My question is, Do I have to fix this, quickly, or even, ever? Driving and mileage seem unaffected. What type of damage, if any, am I doing to the car? Secondary question is, whether anything else could present with a similar noise -- though I doubt it, it seems a good match for what people with this problem have posted online.

R

·
Registered
13,664 Posts
Failed bearings are bad. It’s metal rubbing against metal, potentially metal parts flapping around which could cause things to melt or fall off. Don’t ignore this hoping it will go away. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Have you ruled out your tires? Scalloped edges of tires can also produce drumming that may cause confusion as to the source of the noise.

·
Registered
13,664 Posts
The OP reported that it sounded ike a table saw turning off. Unlikely that noise is from scalloped edges on tires. On my car, I also had problems with bent rims (aftermarket 18" wheels plus Illinois potholes are not a good mix - I have since reverted back to 17s).

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Well, I just dropped about what the car is worth on a whole new transmission as "fix number 2" since the replacement bearing only lasted 3 weeks. The new bearing didn't even make it 1000 miles. My experience is not typical as most replaced bearings last at least as long as the original. For what it's worth, I drove mine another 2k miles after I first started to hear it before it got bad enough that I felt the need to get it fixed. My delay may or may not have contributed to the second failure.

I suggest getting it fixed ASAP. If you don't have my excessively bad luck, you'll be back on the road for the cost of 2 or 3 new car payments.

·
Registered
13,664 Posts
I suggest getting it fixed ASAP. If you don't have my excessively bad luck, you'll be back on the road for the cost of 2 or 3 new car payments.
My monthly car payment is $0 so all repairs are infinitely more than 2 or 3 car payments. Well, that’s not quite true, my next car payment might be well over $50k.

Reactions: FI Spyder
1 - 6 of 6 Posts