GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a used 2012 Volt, and I found that it does not offer an option to "Change Charge Level" - there is no option to choose 8 amps versus the default 12 amps. The manual notes that only some models have that feature. Is anyone aware of an upgrade, software or gulp hardware, that would allow me to the option to change the charge level? If not, any recommendations for low cost EVSE equipment that could let me do the same? Here is a photo of my screen and a photo from the manual with the option shown.
Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Car Personal luxury car
Rectangle Font Event Parallel Paper product

·
Administrator
21,044 Posts
The early Volt EVSE's had a button to switch between 8A and 12A. Control through the car came in late 2012 or 2013 I think.

Reactions: leppard3

·
Premium Member
2012 Volt Premium (Cyber Gray Metallic) - Stock
299 Posts
Correct, the 2012’s can only be switched via the EVSE. If you are running a 2013+ EVSE with the black cord and no buttons on the front, the car is fixed at 12A.

My solution to this (tripping breakers) was to hire an electrician to install a 20A circuit for my EVSE. Cheaper than a whole EVSE, and now I can charge at 12A with zero issues.

You would need to find a used 2011-2012 EVSE on eBay or the like to enable 8A charging.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both. Sounds like there's no simple software solution out there unfortunately. Good suggestion on the upgraded circuit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts