GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can you put another type of 12 volt battery in volt?

Absorbed glass mat is really necessary? did you guys change your 12 volt battery? Mine got changed because the volt wouldn'T start on 2 different occassions. the second time it happened, I was already in the shop for winter tires. And the first time it happened, it jumped it thanks to the advice of you guys!!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I think your problem is relatively rare.

Assuming my battery lasts 4-5 years I'll replace it with another AGM.

·
Administrator
22,794 Posts
With 33 months, 40k miles, mine has had zero issues. It seems that some later models did not get the battery cables tight enough resulting in a host of 12V related issues due to a poor connection. Many have been "fixed" by re-torquing the connectors.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Yes, definitely. Matter of fact, they are now putting in 12 volt batteries with a reserve tank in the battery. Nice. You can buy a 12 volt that fits with a reserve. Definitely recommend for a gas car or an electric car.

·
8,680 Posts
The Volt uses an AGM battery because it had the battery in the passenger compartment. Non-AGM less acid batteries give off hydrogen during charging, so they are never used in cars that have the battery in the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
There is a 12V battery eliminator that uses six 2.7 V supercapacitors in series (up to 16.2 volts) and is lighter than the lead-acid battery. The cost is much more than a regular lead-acid, though, and it is sold as a kit or assembled for a higher price. Since the energy is stored as an electric field, the extreme cold will not affect it much.

This is the kit I am referring to:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultracapaci...-Car-Audio-Starting-Remote-Solar/301015504220
and in assembled form:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultracapaci...udio-Starting-Remote-Power-Solar/111251168850

I ordered one kit to experiment with, so it is new for me. But if you Volt owners are willing to try it out, it will lighten your vehicle weight, and prevent failures due to cold temperatures. And if it was discharged, it can recharge much faster!

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
It will be more and more difficult to get plate-style lead acid. Even Sears' high-end batteries are AGM.

I have been using AGM replacements in older cars for a while now. Lighter weight and higher power for the same size.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
There is a 12V battery eliminator that uses six 2.7 V supercapacitors in series (up to 16.2 volts) and is lighter than the lead-acid battery. The cost is much more than a regular lead-acid, though, and it is sold as a kit or assembled for a higher price. Since the energy is stored as an electric field, the extreme cold will not affect it much.

This is the kit I am referring to:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultracapaci...-Car-Audio-Starting-Remote-Solar/301015504220
and in assembled form:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultracapaci...udio-Starting-Remote-Power-Solar/111251168850

I ordered one kit to experiment with, so it is new for me. But if you Volt owners are willing to try it out, it will lighten your vehicle weight, and prevent failures due to cold temperatures. And if it was discharged, it can recharge much faster!
Remember the APM expects to maintain a 12V AGM battery. Any other battery would have to mimic the response of the AGM or you could damage the battery or the APM.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
So far, from what I see on this forum 12 volt battery failures stem from letting their wives drive.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
The Volt uses an AGM battery because it had the battery in the passenger compartment. Non-AGM less acid batteries give off hydrogen during charging, so they are never used in cars that have the battery in the passenger compartment.
I have to contradict you there, Walter. It should be so, but the smart car came with a puny lead-acid battery under the passenger's feet that just outlasted the warranty. I replaced it with an Optima Spiral Cell AGM. Overkill, I know, but I haven't had to look at it for years.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I have to contradict you there, Walter. It should be so, but the smart car came with a puny lead-acid battery under the passenger's feet that just outlasted the warranty. I replaced it with an Optima Spiral Cell AGM. Overkill, I know, but I haven't had to look at it for years.
The Optimas have a spotty reputation in the Prius world. A surprising number have failed in the first year or two.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Why would you. Not recommended. The software driving the charging schedule from the 14V power module (APM) assumes an AGM.

Take it in to a dealer to be properly diagnosed (a tire shop can't do that)
If there's something wrong with the battery -it will be tested/verified and if necessary replaced under warranty (assuming the car qualifies)
If there's a bad connection- it will be located and repaired
If you are routinely using "Service Mode" for some unknown reason and draining the battery- then it's your baby

WOT

·
8,680 Posts
Okay, would you accept "should never be" instead? :)

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Of course - actually that's what I meant by 'It should be so'. Some day I'm going to have another look in there and see if it is vented to the outside.
Okay, would you accept "should never be" instead? :)

·
Registered
767 Posts
Since this thread really isn't going anywhere..............
Has there been some discussion on here about the negative battery lead being connected to a point on the
body or frame that is PAINTED ?
When car shopping recently, I was APPALED to see the battery in another brand with it's negative post connected ONLY to the body.....not a common ground block ......and not even to a solid frame member. And this connection point was painted no less.
This was the only connection to the negative battery post........honestly. Nice fat wire but terrible connection point.

This is bad enough if the little 12 V battery only runs accessories but is downright stupid if it also runs a conventional starter.
I don't remember for sure but I think it was a Prius C.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys, but i got a new agm battery from the dealer under warranty. Sorry for the misundertanding since "tire shop" was meant to say dealership.

Just wanted to know what was the advantages of agm.

Must be the lighter weight.

thanks

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Why would you. Not recommended. The software driving the charging schedule from the 14V power module (APM) assumes an AGM.

Take it in to a dealer to be properly diagnosed (a tire shop can't do that)
If there's something wrong with the battery -it will be tested/verified and if necessary replaced under warranty (assuming the car qualifies)
If you are routinely using "Service Mode" for some unknown reason and draining the battery- then it's your baby

WOT
^^^This. Why would you do anything else?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.