GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I literally just bought my Volt from the dealer tonight. Upgrading from a 2006 Ion this was a big step up. However one bummer I had was the bluetooth only appears to be for making/receiving calls. Is there any way (update?) to be able to listen to music through bluetooth similar to my wireless headphones? I did try resetting the infotainment system to defaults.

From reading it appears there are two types of infotainment systems (Mylink and nav?) How do I know which one I have and since I'm seeing an option to update via USB on the config menu for the radio 1. where would I download infotainment system updates, and 2. do I use the USB in the armrest to update or is there a "hidden" usb that is used for this?

I'm not looking to update proformance/calibration software (yet?) but would like my tunes if possible.

I'm an IT professional and not opposed to some tinkering, but how-to guides would be nice too.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I can't speak for the '12 but my '13 with nav (factory navigation) works fine playing audio over bluetooth. if you have a pandora or stitcher icon then you should be able to play audio through bluetooth. Seeing as your in IT, I don't want to offend, but you did make sure your phone is set to allow audio through bluetooth? One other option is inside the center console there is a USB (works for mp3 on flash) and next to it should also be a standard 3.5mm input jack. I know earlier vehicles with bluetooth integrated only worked for phone calls, but pretty sure by '10 all GM's were equipped with bluetooth audio capability. On the other hand, your '12 should be equipped with a hard drive that you can use to store and select music as well. I believe the USB port also can be used to transfer files for that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup phone works sharing audio with other devices, and no offense taken, sometimes people forget the basics.

Didn't know about the hard drive, that's good to know, though I usually listen to podcasts and audiobooks while driving so not sure how much that'll help, though I like the idea as it might let additional 'changes' be made :D

Right now I don't have the pandora or stitcher icons even after a reset of the screens, but on drive to work this morning I signed up for a 3 month on-star demo and am hoping I'll get software updates that way to possibly change this. If anyone knows how to get either of those icons I'd appreciate knowing.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Bluetooth audio wasn't added until late 2012. When the Volt was released, the MyLink software wasn't compatible with the Navigation software I think. It took them a year to be able to get MyLink into the Premium Volts.
I don't think anyone else has tried to get Bluetooth audio into a 2012. I just use the Aux input on mine, and that works fine for me.

As far as updating, I believe you just use the USB in the console. Which brings my complaint: Why can't the USB port provide enough power to charge a phone?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks @freshcut and @Emartin00 for your responses.

Yea worst case I do have the aux-bluetooth adaptor, it just seems dumb to me that I can't use the bluetooth that's already there. I'm trying to find the software to upgrade, and if/when I find it I intend to document it and create a video on youtube to help others, regardless of what I get from the update.

I'm loving it so far

·
Registered
65 Posts
This seems like the same issue I had with my 12 Cruze. It was an LTZ but BT was phone only. I added a dongle to the car that worked fine for music but was horrible for calls. And using the built in BT for calls and dongle for music was a mess. I don’t get that many call so I ended up unpairing the car and just using the dongle. If I got the odd phone call I just had to scream to the mic.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Bluetooth audio wasn't added until late 2012. When the Volt was released, the MyLink software wasn't compatible with the Navigation software I think. It took them a year to be able to get MyLink into the Premium Volts.
I don't think anyone else has tried to get Bluetooth audio into a 2012. I just use the Aux input on mine, and that works fine for me.

As far as updating, I believe you just use the USB in the console. Which brings my complaint: Why can't the USB port provide enough power to charge a phone?
The USB port in the center console of my 2014 does provide enough current to charge my Pixel, albeit VERY slowly. If I have an app running on the Pixel while it is plugged in, the battery life diminishes slowly (not enough power from the USB port).

My wish is for a second USB port under the dash in the center console.

Read post #11 at https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?13451-USB-port-not-charging-iPhone to better understand the power available for charging from the USB port.

EDIT: Using a USB adapter plugged into the PTO in the rear passenger cubby should provide enough power to recharge a phone quickly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks @freshcut and @Emartin00 for your responses.

Yea worst case I do have the aux-bluetooth adaptor, it just seems dumb to me that I can't use the bluetooth that's already there. I'm trying to find the software to upgrade, and if/when I find it I intend to document it and create a video on youtube to help others, regardless of what I get from the update.

I'm loving it so far
Were you able to find an update for your volt that works? I have been wanting to make my volt play music too. When I talked to a professional about installing Bluetooth he said it would be impossible, but a dealership could perhaps add the right coding to the system that changed in the 13 volt. At the moment I was able to get my volt to download a lot of different CDs from the old days. There's just something about having steering wheel control over the music that I need.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
The older first gen just don't have the firmware to stream music over BT. My compromise has been a BT receiver plugged into the AUX jack in the center console powered by an adaptor in the 12v port, pairing to that, and then just living with Android Auto to handle playback. Volume's on the steering wheel, but nothing else is. When I shut down and open the door, 12v cuts, BT receiver drops, Android Auto pauses playback. I've even got Android Auto starting automatically when the phone sees the BT receiver to pair to and is on external power, so that's already going by the time I've backed out of my slot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts