GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a month or so ago about a battery heater issue which I finally had repaired for $$OUCH...

https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?334389-2012-Battery-heater-replacement-or

In that thread was a comment that I was getting about 28 miles on a charge for a few years and that led to a reply that it seemed low. Well, now that that heater was replaced, I have steadily lost a couple of more miles of range when my driving habits haven't changed. Shortly after the replacement, the range dropped to 27 miles, then 26, and now 25. I am highly suspicious that something wasn't correctly done during the heater replacement but I have really nothing to go on except the "coincidence" that the range has steadily dropped in just two months. No other issues. No lights or reports of things amiss through On-Star or the display...

So, a couple of questions:

1) Could there be some connection between the heater replacement and dropping range? If so, what could that be?

2) This 2012 has the original AGM battery. Could that be a "cause" and am I living on the edge having not replaced it yet...?

Any pointers would be helpful.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Neither one of those two items should change the battery range. I would for sure change the 12V battery before it does start to fail. Any idea if they did the cell balance recall while it was being serviced, many members report range loss after that recall since they basically reduce the usable capacity.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
You could test the 12V battery but that may not reveal much about the health of the 12V battery. After 8 years just replace it. The Volt relies on sensors; multiple sensor for just about everything. A weak 12V can cause bad sensor readings.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,418 Posts
1) Could there be some connection between the heater replacement and dropping range? If so, what could that be?

2) This 2012 has the original AGM battery. Could that be a "cause" and am I living on the edge having not replaced it yet...?
1.) If your electric heater is staying on, that would explain a lot of wasted energy. Does the fan blow ambient temp air on "air only" setting? I'm not certain whether battery heating coolant circulates through the cabin heater but someone here may know for sure . . . I know the AC cooling is shared. What does the climate control window show while driving?
2.) I like to change things when they are broken. Several people here advocate changing the battery at 4-5 yr mark and if that works for them, . . . but it undoubtedly costs them extra money. As long as the car starts up fine, the 12V is probably fine. After startup, the dc-dc converter keeps the battery at a suitable voltage and it's been reported that you can totally disconnect the battery at that point and the car will run fine. After 7 years my battery is fine.
3.) Have you checked to see if any of the brakes are dragging?
4.) Have you checked for codes set?
5.) It would help if you'd put your location into your profile. If you are way up north and still experiencing freezing temperatures this might be totally normal. I doubt that's the case, but . . .
6.) A new, aggressive, driver hasn't begun driving the vehicle by any chance? New tires? Checked tire pressures?
7.) Have you monitored the temperature of the HV battery while driving. I'd hate to think the new battery heater valve (or whatever was replace) is allowing the battery temperature to be way too high . . . that could kill the battery.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Yes. If the earlier heater element did not work properly and is now replaced it means that there is additional electric drain due to heater element working as intended. To determine that this is the cause, switch the heating off (fan only) and see if the range loss is mitigated.

No.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies.

So, I would think the dealer would rebalance the cells after doing maintenance on the battery, even if it was the battery heater that was replaced.

Even though it is now 100 degrees here in San Antonio, I'll try to check the ambient air only option when I first start out and see what is showing on the climate control panel.

Not sure about a condition where the battery heater is stuck on. I am not sure how to get a temperature on the battery or even how to get any fault codes. I can tell you that this time of year the fans to cool the battery are howling when I first pull into the garage and they continue to run for quite a while until things get "cool" which around here is about 80-90 degrees in the garage. This really isn't unusual though. Every summer here has been hot and I still had a range of 28-30 miles

Just a couple of additional observations: There are have been two times where I have plugged the charger (240v Blink) in at night and it still shows that it is charging in the morning. Once it showed that it had been charging for 20 hours. This could just be a charger issue but might be a clue?

In any case, after charging all night with the charger shutting off automatically, this morning the range showed 25 miles. Maybe I'll check with the dealer and see if they can run diagnostics on it again. It should be covered by the 90 day warranty they give on their work if it IS something related to the battery heater replacement. Probably charge me the "diagnostic fee" sigh...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Many owners of older Tesla Model S and Model X vehicles are reporting their max range dropping significantly after a recent software update.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts