GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I have a 2012 Chevy volt with about 90k miles on it. Owned its whole life in CA. It will be 10 years old in June 2022.
check engine light came on and the message “battery too cold, plug in to warm” wouldn’t stop popping up. Read the code and the code was p0aeb. Took to the dealership and they said to diagnose they would need to drop the battery. Dealership said the Battery Interface Control Module needed to be replaced but that it was not covered under warranty since this part does more than just regulate voltage and it sits above the battery (not in it).
My question is- I thought battery and emission related parts were covered under the Voltec warranty up until 10 years or 100k miles (since the car is a PZEV vehicle in CA). Does anyone have any insight on this and can explain to my why the dealership is saying it’s not covered?

·
Registered
2011 Volt Premier (0737); 2010 Highlander Hybrid; 1993 K3500 6.5TD former ambulance
124 Posts
I think you are correct, that the whole Voltec system is 8years/100Kmiles. However, many folks on this forum have had to fight with the dealership for warranty coverage. Some went to different dealers; some contacted GM and had them lean on the dealer; some did both. The good news is that I've not heard of anyone having to "lawyer up" in order to get the work done under warranty.
The other good news is that yours failed just in time! Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you are correct, that the whole Voltec system is 8years/100Kmiles. However, many folks on this forum have had to fight with the dealership for warranty coverage. Some went to different dealers; some contacted GM and had them lean on the dealer; some did both. The good news is that I've not heard of anyone having to "lawyer up" in order to get the work done under warranty.
The other good news is that yours failed just in time! Good luck.
I feel like I’ve already made so many phone calls and I’m exhausted, because the dealership just keeps telling me that it’s not covered and so far no one I’ve spoken to at GM (so far 3 people) have been able to offer me any kind of definitive answer. They just keep telling me they’ll look further into it and I’ll be called.

·
Registered
2011 Volt Premier (0737); 2010 Highlander Hybrid; 1993 K3500 6.5TD former ambulance
124 Posts
I missed this on the first read, but unless it's different for CA, you're past the Voltec warranty based on age. Seems I remember reading that there are longer warranties in CA (emissions?), but might not have the broad coverage of the standard Voltec warranty. Hopefully someone from CA will chime in with solid information.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
This is your warranty book.
Voltec is pages 13-17. Page 14 specifically says "Voltec® Control Modules"

You are are past the GM 8 year - 100,000 mile warranty. Your only hope is to be covered under CARB warranty.

First, confirm you have a CARB PZEV vehicle. Look for a sticker underneath the hood next to the latch that looks like this: http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv100/bentbiker_bucket/IMG_0384.jpg

If you have a ULEV and do not have a PZEV, you are already out of warranty. If you do have a PZEV, then ask the following questions:
1) Are you saying Battery Interface Control Module part number _ is not a Voltec Control Module?
2) Are you saying Battery Interface Control Module part number _ is a Voltec Control Modules but not covered under the CARB 10 Year, 150,000 mile PZEV/PHEV warranty?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I missed this on the first read, but unless it's different for CA, you're past the Voltec warranty based on age. Seems I remember reading that there are longer warranties in CA (emissions?), but might not have the broad coverage of the standard Voltec warranty. Hopefully someone from CA will chime in with solid information.
It would be nice to hear from someone who knows how the California warranty works better. Here is the area in my car’s warranty I was going off of, thinking 10 years or 100k (For the battery)

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is your warranty book.
Voltec is pages 13-17. Page 14 specifically says "Voltec® Control Modules"

You are are past the GM 8 year - 100,000 mile warranty. Your only hope is to be covered under CARB warranty.

First, confirm you have a CARB PZEV vehicle. Look for a sticker underneath the hood next to the latch that looks like this: http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv100/bentbiker_bucket/IMG_0384.jpg

If you have a ULEV and do not have a PZEV, you are already out of warranty. If you do have a PZEV, then ask the following questions:
1) Are you saying Battery Interface Control Module part number _ is not a Voltec Control Module?
2) Are you saying Battery Interface Control Module part number _ is a Voltec Control Modules but not covered under the CARB 10 Year, 150,000 mile PZEV/PHEV warranty?
Hi, I do know that my car is a PZEV vehicle, I went to the CARB website and found my car in their list. They say that if there is a specific character in the 5th spot on my VIN (I believe it was an H in my case) then it was.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Confirmation that your vehicle is PZEV a great stating point. Now the question is if the repair is covered under Carb 15/150,000 or 10/150,000. To make that determination, we need the actual part number(s) or the suspected failed part(s). The Battery Control Module is actually four parts. 22885655, 22885656 (x2), and 225657. Verify the part(s) being quoted to you.

If the parts are those quoted above, these are absolutely part of the Voltec system. Labor for the procedure to replace those parts is code 5030330 (see image below). Coverage Code is V confirms the repair is classified as Voltec. Warranty Code E confirms the repair is classified as Emissions. That would tell me that it should be covered by both the 15/150,000 and 10/150,000 California Warranty.

I'd still ask the following questions:
Labor code shows that it is both classified as Voltec and Emissions and would have been covered in the GM 8/100,000. So now the question is is it also covered in the California warranty?​
2) Are you saying Battery Interface Control Module part number _ is a Voltec Control Modules but not covered under the CARB 10 Year, 150,000 mile PZEV warranty?
Carb states "15 years/150k miles (except battery) and 10 years/150k miles battery or other energy storage device" for vehicles certified to the PZEV (Partial Zero Emission Vehicle) standard (Reference: CCR §1962) which your vehicle is. Why does this repair not qualify under CCR §1962?​

I think you may need to get GM involved and continue to press your case to make them prove to you the repair is not covered -- with refuting evidence contrary to what is presented above. Most dealers don't really understand the Voltec parts or how they differ from the general powertrain warranty on an ICE vehicle. Labor code 5030330 is the key to making your argument.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi there,
I have a 2012 Chevy volt with about 90k miles on it. Owned its whole life in CA. It will be 10 years old in June 2022.
check engine light came on and the message “battery too cold, plug in to warm” wouldn’t stop popping up. Read the code and the code was p0aeb. Took to the dealership and they said to diagnose they would need to drop the battery. Dealership said the Battery Interface Control Module needed to be replaced but that it was not covered under warranty since this part does more than just regulate voltage and it sits above the battery (not in it).
My question is- I thought battery and emission related parts were covered under the Voltec warranty up until 10 years or 100k miles (since the car is a PZEV vehicle in CA). Does anyone have any insight on this and can explain to my why the dealership is saying it’s not covered?
Hi there,
Confirmation that your vehicle is PZEV a great stating point. Now the question is if the repair is covered under Carb 15/150,000 or 10/150,000. To make that determination, we need the actual part number(s) or the suspected failed part(s). The Battery Control Module is actually four parts. 22885655, 22885656 (x2), and 225657. Verify the part(s) being quoted to you.

If the parts are those quoted above, these are absolutely part of the Voltec system. Labor for the procedure to replace those parts is code 5030330 (see image below). Coverage Code is V confirms the repair is classified as Voltec. Warranty Code E confirms the repair is classified as Emissions. That would tell me that it should be covered by both the 15/150,000 and 10/150,000 California Warranty.

Labor code shows that it is both classified as Voltec and Emissions and would have been covered in the GM 8/100,000. So now the question is is it also covered in the California warranty?​
2) Are you saying Battery Interface Control Module part number _ is a Voltec Control Modules but not covered under the CARB 10 Year, 150,000 mile PZEV warranty?
Carb states "15 years/150k miles (except battery) and 10 years/150k miles battery or other energy storage device" for vehicles certified to the PZEV (Partial Zero Emission Vehicle) standard (Reference: CCR §1962) which your vehicle is. Why does this repair not qualify under CCR §1962?​

I think you may need to get GM involved and continue to press your case to make them prove to you the repair is not covered -- with refuting evidence contrary to what is presented above. Most dealers don't really understand the Voltec parts or how they differ from the general powertrain warranty on an ICE vehicle. Labor code 5030330 is the key to making your argument.

Hello from Big Moe:

My ECM- Electronic Control Module) has gone south on my 2016 Chevrolet Volt with 21,000 miles on it. I was told the part costs $1,900.00 and at the moment cannot be found. I live in NJ. Does anyone have any insight into the warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Wow, this is a TON of useful information! THANK YOU!
The part number they told me is 22885657, and I believe that is on your list.
I will repeat what you told me about the labor codes and specifics to GM, because so far they’ve been really vague and unhelpful. Almost like they don’t understand what I want when I’m being very clear.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Yes GM part 22885657 is the rear Battery Control Module (I missed typing the 88 on my post but linked to the right one ;-)

Labor code to replace it is 5030330. Print that screenshot and take it with you to the dealer. Ask what "Coverage Code V" means. It means Voltec but you need them to say that out loud to you. Ask what "Coverage Code Emissions E" means, again so that stay it out loud to you. Then I'd ask them to confirm the VIN decodes as a PZEV, which you have already know it is. The show them a print out the actual California Code CCR §1962 regulation.

Refer to 1962(c)2D Partial ZEV Allowance Vehicles (PZEVs) and highlight part D and ask why this repair does not qualify under either battery (Coverage Code V) or emissions (Coverage Code Emissions E) since you are under in both months and miles.

(D) Extended Warranty. Extend the performance and defects warranty period set forth in subdivision 2037(b)(2) and 2038(b)(2) to 15 years or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first except that the time period is to be 10 years for a zero-emission energy storage device used for traction power (such as a battery, ultracapacitor, or other electric storage device).​

Section 2037(b)(2) referee to Emissions Warranty Coverage for “high-priced” warranted parts which your part should qualify under since it is coded as "Coverage Code Emissions E" and is certianatly high priced based on the calculation in the regulation.

I'm just some random dude on the internet who doesn't work for GM or CARB but as I read this, you are covered. I think it is up to the service department to prove otherwise. Similarly, many other randoms dudes and dudettes on the forum here have long understood Voltec equipment (classified under Coverage Code V) are covered under the California extended warranty clause. I'm 99% sure the Volt was even marketed as such.

Good luck. I'm 99% sure the service dealer will defer this up the line to someone above him/her or reach out to GM. The most important part here is that they take you seriously as an informed customer with an actual case.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Hello from Big Moe:

My ECM- Electronic Control Module) has gone south on my 2016 Chevrolet Volt with 21,000 miles on it. I was told the part costs $1,900.00 and at the moment cannot be found. I live in NJ. Does anyone have any insight into the warranty.
As I understand it Engine Control Module Part Number: 24291552 is a Voltec part covered under the GM 8/100,000 warranty as it is classified as "HYBRID MODULES & COMPONENTS" by GM. I believe labor code 2810265 is correct for this part which has a Coverage Code V (Voltec) -- but get the dealer to confirm both part and labor codes.

·
Registered
2012 Std w Nav
5,023 Posts
Before we get into replacing bits and fighting about warranties... Has the rebalance service bulletin N172130462 been applied? Junebug posted back around the release that this software also included a fix (originally for the 2013s per Volt Tech James on the FB group) that allowed the HPCM2 to ignore up to a couple failed temperature sensors inside the battery (since those are entirely NOT serviceable). The KIND of error you're getting should only happen when the battery gets cold-soaked to like -30F, which is OBVIOUSLY wrong, and a failed sensor in this manner is common enough that they DID write a fix for it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts