GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I've had my new-to-me 2012 Chevy Volt since May 2019. Previous owner had taken really lovely care of it, it had just over 45k miles when I purchased t, currently just has over 63k miles.

In December 2019, I took it in to the dealership after receiving a notice to have the Powertrain control module updated, and the scheduler heard it making a noise when I pulled up. I hadn't heard it, but, with the windows down, I could then hear it. They diagnosed it as the bulletin #PIP5091L Drive Motor Bearing and recommended replacement. According to the technicians notes, they removed and replaced the bearing and the cover.

I really felt like the dealership came through for me- turns out the Voltec warranty had expired just days before I brought the car in, but they got them to honor it, so this repair didn't cost me anything. I had never used a dealership service before so after this I was totally sold. I brought my car back there this November for a check up/ oil change.

Almost to the day 1 year later (last week), I begin to hear the noise again- like a whine/whistle/ whirrrlll noise, loudest while braking, coming from left front of the car. I took it back to the same dealership and told them I was worried somehow, the drive motor bearing issue was back. From what I've read online, this usually only happens when the initial repair was done incorrectly.

I get a call and was told the bearings in the transmission has failed and they recommend a complete new transmission installed, to the tune of $6,400. Technician notes are "Test drove the car and confirmed customer concern. Verified the noise is coming from the transmission. Rec replacing transmission"

Because that cost is intense, I decided to get a second opinion, and took it to another shop that also works on EV cars. They are saying they think it's the drive motor bearing again, and they are also suggesting a full transmission replacement since this is the second time the repair is needed.

Has anyone had this happen before, where the bearing has failed twice? Any suggestions on if going back to the dealership and confronting them that the first repair was most likely not done correctly would produce any results?

I would appreciate any advice/opinions!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there! I’m in the same exact boat as you right now. What did you end up doing? I’m freaking out over the costs.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I was just at the Chevy dealer having a recall done and the tech told me he just did the bearing on a 2013 Volt. He said the car had it done before. I would have the bearing done again, before putting another trans in.

·
Premium Member
2012 Volt Premium (Cyber Gray Metallic) - Stock
202 Posts
I also have a 2012 Volt (purchased used in August 2020) and the bearing has now failed twice. I had also considered installing a remanufactured transmission from GM, but everyone advised against it, so my Volt is getting its 3rd (2nd replacement) stator bearing installed in it today. I'll post an update once I have more info from the tech as to why the 2nd bearing failed - he says it may be due to heat, excessive loading, a poor installation, or simply a faulty replacement bearing from GM. I don't know how the previous owner drove the car so that may be part of the issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts