GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out of town for a month and came home to a dead 12 v battery in my 2012 volt (104,000 miles). The 1-year old battery battery tested defective in two cells. I replaced it and everything was fine. Then left town for another few weeks and the battery was dead again and reportedly this can kill the battery. When using the volt everyday, there is not a problem. The Chevy garage was of no assistance. The phone and Allstar quit a while back and possibly this could be the issue. I see a separate fuse for this. Can I remove it without affecting anything else? (I would prefer not digging down to the botton of the trunk to disconnect the battery when I leave town.)

·
Registered
66 Posts
That or get a trickle charger to keep the car's 12v battery charged up while you are gone. This is assuming that you don't have a parasitic drain on the battery from an accessory in the car.

·
Banned
6 Posts
I was out of town for a month and came home to a dead 12 v battery in my 2012 volt (104,000 miles). The 1-year old battery battery tested defective in two cells. I replaced it and everything was fine. Then left snaptube vidmate town for another few weeks and the battery was dead again and reportedly this can kill the battery. When using the volt everyday, there is not a problem. The Chevy garage was of no assistance. The phone and Allstar quit a while back and possibly this could be the issue. I see a separate fuse for this. Can I remove it without affecting anything else? (I would prefer not digging down to the botton of the trunk to disconnect the battery when I leave town.)
I had a similar issue with my vehicle , I replaced the battery

·
Administrator
21,524 Posts
Happened to my car during the pandemic. Now I have a CTEK AGM battery minder, plus I plug the car in weekly.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
The battery should be good for a month unless there is some kind of vampire drain. Why not put it into "transport mode". Easy to put into and get out of although GM likes the traction battery to be about half charged.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,758 Posts
What is the current draw after 30+ min of sitting not plugged in and turned off? If less than ~20mA or so, it is not being caused by excessive parasitic draw. If it measures closer to a full amp, you have an issue. There have been previous reports of the OnStar module staying on or shorting out (VCIM I think).

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
There is a staged power down over days ( mostly the comm system I think )

you could use the time of day charging setting to get 1 hr a day on a 120 volt 8 amp setting
that should give you a few day depending on the main battery starting charge.

or use an extra power point on your rainbird lawn sprinkler and charge 1 hour once a week :)

----

·
Premium Member
2012 Volt Premium (Cyber Gray Metallic) - Stock
540 Posts
I’m not sure how the 2012 software works, but my 2012 seems to charge the 12V when plugged in and charging the HV battery. If the HV battery drops a little and the charging light comes on, it also charges the 12V battery. Either you have a parasitic draw like others have said, a high resistance connection somewhere, or an old/dying battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dobry akumulator nigdy nie powinien sam się rozładowywać, ale spróbuj go naładować, a jak się nie rozładowuje to ok, a jak się rozładowuje to kup nowy

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,758 Posts
Dobry akumulator nigdy nie powinien sam się rozładowywać, ale spróbuj go naładować, a jak się nie rozładowuje to ok, a jak się rozładowuje to kup nowy
Jeśli jest coś, co nadal pobiera prąd po wyłączeniu, spowoduje to rozładowanie dobrej baterii. Musisz dowiedzieć się, czy z akumulatora płynie prąd.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is the current draw after 30+ min of sitting not plugged in and turned off? If less than ~20mA or so, it is not being caused by excessive parasitic draw. If it measures closer to a full amp, you have an issue. There have been previous reports of the OnStar module staying on or shorting out (VCIM I think).
I've been seeing the same problem as OP but over a much shorter time (2-3 days) even with a brand new battery.
It does appear the Onstar module is staying on (measured by pulling the fuse after leaving the car for 30 min) and drawing 200mA out of the 300mA parasitic load at the time.
Is there a known fix for this besides just pulling the fuse?
Is there another module that generally has a high vampire draw to account for the last 100mA?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The owner's manuual does not mention anyting but Onstar for the fuse. Is this accurate in that if the fuse is removed, it will not affect anything else? The Onstar and phone system quit working about a year ago. The Chevrolet garage was reluctant to problem solve and fix these issues, but also advised aginst removing the fuse becasue they did know if it is the only function. They also stated that Onstar will be phased out in six months or so, which seems strange as I assume it is used by GM models other than the Volt. Does GM have a certification program for electronic technicians, and/or capable test equipment, that could be used to find a good repair shop?

·
Registered
54 Posts
One solution for those who have to leave the car in a lot for an extended period would be a flexible solar panel with a small fleabay charge controller. Not sure how much one would loose in solar generation with the panel either under the hatch window or behind the windshield area. The panel would not have to be very big. Just park facing the south. Even a cheap Renogy 10amp PWM controller unit would be fine. Just make sure the panel gets sun across the complete cell area with no shadows. The winter up north might also be a consideration as the cloudy days can really drop the power per day...as I am getting currently at home.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts