GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Duh! I should have known better and disconnected my Volt's battery or put it on an AGM-capable battery trickle charger a year ago. We've driven the car so little since last March, the 12V died. The few trips we made we used the Bolt EV. So, a $200 lesson to mind the 12V battery when it sits unused during a pandemic!! :) Like many, I thought it would only be a few months in the early days and then it just kind of slipped my mind.

I tried bringing the Volt's (disconnected) battery back to life with parallel charging from my (disconnected) Bolt's AGM. The best I could do was was 6V. Got a Duralast Platinum 36 mo, group 47 $199 replacement for the dead ACDelco EVLM2. The replacement has a red vent hole plug in the red plastic positive terminal cover. I had saved the plug from my ACDelco just in case.

Removing the old and installing the new battery was easy.

A 10MM socket (deep if you have one) for the cargo area cover tray and battery terminal nuts. Pull off the black - clamp, loosen the red + clamp. A flat bladed screwdriver to release the plastic + terminal cover body clips from the front & rear of the battery, a 13MM socket to remove the bolt holding the battery strap. Pull out the vent tube on the - side, lift out.

So let this be a lesson to me for the next pandemic! lol.

A battery maintainer may in my future. Looking at a CTEK - 40-206 MXS 5.0 Fully Automatic 4.3 amp Battery Charger and Maintainer 12V (40-206). Has both post clamps and eyelet terminals for an easy plug and charge option. https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-40-206-5-0-12-Battery-Charger/dp/B00CD44RQO/

Parallel Charging with AGM charger

·
Registered
147 Posts
Original 10 year old 12v battery? Do you think a maintainer would have prolonged its service life much? Give your new one some Astra Zeneca or other vaccine to keep covid away...

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
787 Posts
I have used a CTEK for years, they are fantastic little devices.

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The croaked covid battery was just over a year old... :(

Yes, for the price of the new battery I could have bought two CTEK's with money left over. Some of us learn life lesson's the hard way, haha.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
787 Posts
Did you keep the old battery? The CTEK might revive it. In addition to the AGM mode, it can bring a nearly dead one back with the de-sulfication.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Duuuuh! :sneaky: :unsure::LOL:

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope, old battery gone. I was done messing with it but that's not a bad idea.

Mostly I'm posting so others can learn from my goof-up.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I drove 2000 miles a month before and during this COVID pandemic. Now I have to work harder and longer hours and I have to take my laptop home everyday just in case I have to work at home while I'm sick,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts