GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
My left headlight died on my Chevy Volt (2011), and I was thinking of changing both of them for LED.

After searching a bit, I noticed they are HIR2 / 9012 something, but well, I don't understand much.

I was wondering if, buying LED, it would just plug in like the stock ones, or if there needs to be some fidgeting and rewiring.
I saw some people had some sort of adapter in front of the headlight under the hood, and I'm not ready to change stuff inside other than "changing the bulb".
Also, can I plug some other type of bulbs? (I saw there are HIR2 / 9006 for example, but I think probably not)

Thanks in advance for your answer!

Kind regards,

K

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hello everyone,
My left headlight died on my Chevy Volt (2011), and I was thinking of changing both of them for LED.

After searching a bit, I noticed they are HIR2 / 9012 something, but well, I don't understand much.

I was wondering if, buying LED, it would just plug in like the stock ones, or if there needs to be some fidgeting and rewiring.
I saw some people had some sort of adapter in front of the headlight under the hood, and I'm not ready to change stuff inside other than "changing the bulb".
Also, can I plug some other type of bulbs? (I saw there are HIR2 / 9006 for example, but I think probably not)

Thanks in advance for your answer!

Kind regards,

K
Stay away from Headlight Experts. Their capacitors and “warning cancellers” don’t defeat flickering from the PWM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I have the Morimoto 2Stroke 2.0.
Pros: Light better than several others I've tried. Appear to be lasting and not going dim.
Cons: Fans are loud - really loud, and whine at an annoying pitch.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have the Morimoto 2Stroke 2.0.
Pros: Light better than several others I've tried. Appear to be lasting and not going dim.
Cons: Fans are loud - really loud, and whine at an annoying pitch.
Heard lots of good things about Morimoto and DDM

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I put these in the Volt and they worked out great. The fans are quiet too.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
This topic has been covered exhaustively in other threads, the search bar at the top of the page works quite well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I used the Hikari from Amazon, they were $39 but I wish I would’ve gotten the Hikari ultra’s which are 99, it has a warranty make sure you register the product, I’ve had no issues and no lights, Mine were plug and play and the caps fit on the back, they were quite loud but it doesn’t bother me you can only hear them when you’re outside the car, I did have to play around with them to get the beam pattern right but that was easy

·
Registered
146 Posts
This topic has been covered exhaustively in other threads, the search bar at the top of the page works quite well.
Fact is new lights and new technology come out every day. I’d suspect even the most recent (and active!) thread could benefit from another concurrent thread.

Unless we’re willing to make headlight upgrades a sticky and keep one alive that’s constantly updated, I see no problem with multiple threads.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
The lamps have set screws and they give you the wrench to adjust the angle. Other than that, plug and play. No flicker and no interference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts