GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
While driving my 2011 volt the vehicle tried to switch gas engine (still had 1/2 tank of gas) to electric and then it just shut down. There was no charge on the battery so car was towed to home but it wouldn't take a charge or start. The Chevy dealer said the 12 volt battery had an internal short and caused hpcm2 and becm to lock up and set high voltage codes POAFA and system shut down. Tech says vehicle main 300V battery was taken below minimum voltage threshold when the 12v battery failed. He reprogramed everything, changed the 12v battery and 220v recharged the main 300v vehicle battery - $675.

One month later while driving the car it wouldn't from switch from electric mode to gas engine, again it shut down and wouldn't restart. It was towed to a Chevy dealer who diagnosed the problem as a bad 12v battery again. They replaced the 12v battery, cleared the high voltage codes and road test the vehicle to verify operation of engine switching from battery to gas.

Ten days later the car failed to switch from electric to gas operation. The 12v battery test ok, the high voltage codes were cleared but now I was told that section 3 of the main 300v battery should be replaced. But they would not guarantee the fix. The vehicle was now operating on a charge of 25 - 29 mile range. TAC case # 8-4777478213

I drove the car on the main battery for more than a week. One day I ran it until it switched to gas and it ran for about 20 miles on the gas engine then suddenly shut off again and will not take a charge.

Any suggestions???

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
I wonder how things wou;ld have worked out if you leave it in MM most of the time

seems odd you had to replace the 12 volt battery TWICE

may want to monitor that 12 volt battery

·
Registered
6 Posts
While driving my 2011 volt the vehicle tried to switch gas engine (still had 1/2 tank of gas) to electric and then it just shut down. There was no charge on the battery so car was towed to home but it wouldn't take a charge or start. The Chevy dealer said the 12 volt battery had an internal short and caused hpcm2 and becm to lock up and set high voltage codes POAFA and system shut down. Tech says vehicle main 300V battery was taken below minimum voltage threshold when the 12v battery failed. He reprogramed everything, changed the 12v battery and 220v recharged the main 300v vehicle battery - $675.

One month later while driving the car it wouldn't from switch from electric mode to gas engine, again it shut down and wouldn't restart. It was towed to a Chevy dealer who diagnosed the problem as a bad 12v battery again. They replaced the 12v battery, cleared the high voltage codes and road test the vehicle to verify operation of engine switching from battery to gas.

Ten days later the car failed to switch from electric to gas operation. The 12v battery test ok, the high voltage codes were cleared but now I was told that section 3 of the main 300v battery should be replaced. But they would not guarantee the fix. The vehicle was now operating on a charge of 25 - 29 mile range. TAC case # 8-4777478213

I drove the car on the main battery for more than a week. One day I ran it until it switched to gas and it ran for about 20 miles on the gas engine then suddenly shut off again and will not take a charge.

Any suggestions???
Happen to me on a gen 2. Any idea what was the reason?

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts