GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got the message from my sister yesterday that there was an issue with her Volt. 2011, 100k km (60k miles). She had just driven home from work and was at the grocery store. Upon starting, got the "Reduced Propulsion" message, and engine was running at high RPM. I went over to check things out. No CEL illuminated. Drove it around the parking lot, and proceeded to drop it at the dealer. I was driving my 65 C10 truck, so I didn't have my scanner with me.

As you can see, 0 batt range. However, once we started driving it, it went the few KM to the dealer on battery.

She HAS been complaining about reduced range. I suspected a dragging rear brake caliper (rears are worn and rusty, significant ridge on pass rear), and I have new rotors/pads/hardware here that I was going to do this weekend. Perhaps the Reduced Propulsion was merely coincidental.

I have found the previous threads on this issue, and have consulted the TSBs that were mentioned (I have Mitchell ProDemand).

If no code set, should she get them to flash the HPCM2 (which sounds like it increases the battery buffer, giving less usable range)? Or, just keep driving knowing that Reduced Propulsion and the corresponding engine response is normal under some circumstances?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Had the same issue although my Volt has 160K on it. Had the fix done based on bulletin above. Permanantrly lost about 5 kms of range due to the adjusted buffer. So far so good.

·
Administrator
20,231 Posts
Will the car charge? Is the battery coolant low?

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car charges fine. Dealer charged it, despite us saying "don't charge it so the tech can see it". Dealer called them, said "no code, can't duplicate". I told them to point out the TSB that EXACTLY matches their symptom. The manager took over, called GM. Then, suggested to NOT update because it would be a "drastic" reduction in range, lol.

So, brought the car to my house. I'll do the rear brakes. That RR is definitely dragging, it's hot. So, that will get them lots of range back and we'll go from there. I'm keeping it for a few days so I'll be able to exhaust the battery every day.

Steve, thanks for the reminder to check the coolant. I will do that when I service it this weekend and update the thread.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts