GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read that Verizon is terminating CDMA service in the US in 2019. I see in Canada that caused their vehicles to need an upgraded Onstar module to continue to still function.

I contacted OnStar and they told me that a 2011 Volt OnStar service will continue to work in 2020.

Does anyone know why in the US the CDMA shutdown will not effect OnStar function?

·
Registered
62 Posts
The switch to AT&T happened with the switch to 4G LTE starting with 2015 model year cars. So yes, Volts from the 11-14 model years will no longer have functioning OnStar at the end of this year due to Verizon shutting down CDMA.

·
Registered
623 Posts
These statements seem confusing.

Please clarify what is being implied by “Verizon shutting down CDMA.” Verizon is a CDMA based Network. For them to shutdown the CDMA network would affect all of the phones that use it.

Are you really saying OnStar will no longer pay Verizon for access?

I thought OnStar was Satellite based service.

Update:

I found some articles that mention Verizon shutting down 2G,1x networks by the end of 2019. 3G by end of 2021. So they are not shutting down the CDMA network, just the old early version levels.

I sure hope they add more towers in SW Wisconsin. Service is quite spotty due to terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
well--- the GPS is Satellite based

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From the Verizon wireless website. It states the CDMA (3G) network.

"Caution Verizon Wireless is retiring its CDMA (3G) network at the end of 2019. As a result, we are no longer allowing activation of CDMA-only devices, including CDMA-only basic phones and smartphones, or 4G LTE smartphones that do not support HD Voice service."

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
From the Verizon wireless website. It states the CDMA (3G) network.

"Caution Verizon Wireless is retiring its CDMA (3G) network at the end of 2019. As a result, we are no longer allowing activation of CDMA-only devices, including CDMA-only basic phones and smartphones, or 4G LTE smartphones that do not support HD Voice service."
And OnStar apparently knows it. They sent me promo materials for a 1 year deal at $189, but when it came time to actually BUY it, attempting to buy the year deal failed. It would sell me the monthly service, but at $18.99 a month, not as appealing.

·
Registered
792 Posts
There may be an upgrade path offered. Back in the mid-2000's (I think) when Verizon decommissioned their analog network, most vehicles with OnStar at the time ceased functioning. I believe GM provided a kit to upgrade those cars from analog to digital CDMA.

Perhaps there will be something similar provided this go-round as well.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
^^^^^^

This happened before with OnStar in 2005? I had to take my 2004 truck in to have the OnStar module replaced. I think I had to sign up for 3 years basic and the upgrade hardware and install was free? In the end, it was worth it. The Voice Dialing worked much better and some other benefits.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Might be, but .... there's been no announcement thereof so far, and Verizon announced the end of CDMA back in July, so there's been six months to even come up with a "we're working on a plan for this" announcement from OnStar, and there's a LOT of vehicles to refit if they want to do it. That I didn't get a promotion like that with my annual renewal just makes it seem like they're not going to so offer. Which is fine -- this was the first car I've ever owned with that kind of monitoring built in, and I never used it much for anything other than VoltStats, so... it's not an impactful loss.

·
Registered
62 Posts
According to this it seems Onstar 3G service will live on until 12/31/20. At least if I am reading this correctly. Good news for me at least as I like the text messages when charging is completed or interrupted as well as tracking on Voltstats. Hopefully it is true.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I remember I had the upgrade performed on my 2001 Impala. I had to purchase 2 or 3 years of the subscription to OnStar upfront. When I said ok and made the purchase, a work order was created and the main OnStar electronics module set (including the amplifier) and the antenna was set to my dealer and was then replaced due to going from analog to digital. It would probably be much the same if they offer it for those Volts affected except maybe the antenna would not have to be changed.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
According to this it seems Onstar 3G service will live on until 12/31/20. At least if I am reading this correctly. Good news for me at least as I like the text messages when charging is completed or interrupted as well as tracking on Voltstats. Hopefully it is true.
That's great, but the TC96AAJ OnStar modules in the Gen 1 Volts prior to 2015's shift to 4G/LTE have QSC6055 radio chips. Which are 2G (1x voice and data, plus GPS), not 3G devices. And 2G is going away at the end of the year--Verizon stopped accepting new devices/contract for those at the beginning of 2019. (OnStar Module number came from ebay listings for pulled parts, best reference I can find online says that's a Gen 9 module, chip number came a Gen 9 teardown page, and specs for QSC6055 came from Qualcomm's own site.)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Has there been any update on this? I am surprised Onstar has been quiet on the whole issue. I would like to keep my Onstar service functional and my contract is paid up for 2 more years so I would like to receive what I paid for even if that means upgrading the Onstar module.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts