GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago, i noticed a slight stuttering from the engine when i was stopped at a red light, it only happened a couple times and heard it was probably faulty engine mounts so i checked them and they only had normal/very light to no wear. the other day the juttering started on a major level and after driving just around the block, the engine shut off completely and i had to coast into a parking spot. after trying to restart i got the "initializing" message for a few minutes and decided to reboot in maintenance mode from which i saw the "service stibilitrak" and "service brake assist" after this i power cycled again and the engine started with the juttering and i was barely able to drive it home. this now occurs any time i drive over 30mph no matter which mode i drive in or if i am using only electric saved up from mountain mode. driving in L seems to momentarily help. (i am using it to drive to auto parts stores and work still as it is my only vehicle). i have also gotten "engine not available" once.

i am trying to diagnose and repair myself to save money. i drive on gas since i have the permanent SHVCS, 120,000 miles, i have already replaced the spark plugs and the 12V battery as i know those are two big culprits for engine rattle and shutdown. has had recent oil and battery coolant change and the brake fluid looks in good condition.

Codes from my OBDII (the warnings for stibilitrak and brake assist went away after restart, may have had cleared codes): P1FFD, P0AC4,P1E00,P1604,P1FFF. will update if more codes arise, i know a couple of these are for SHVCS.

if i have missed anything that could be a quick fix or anyone has experienced this before and has a solution, i would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
The engine shouldn’t be running at all when stopped at a red light! Am I missing something?

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
About a week ago, i noticed a slight stuttering from the engine when i was stopped at a red light, it only happened a couple times and heard it was probably faulty engine mounts so i checked them and they only had normal/very light to no wear. the other day the juttering started on a major level and after driving just around the block, the engine shut off completely and i had to coast into a parking spot. after trying to restart i got the "initializing" message for a few minutes and decided to reboot in maintenance mode from which i saw the "service stibilitrak" and "service brake assist" after this i power cycled again and the engine started with the juttering and i was barely able to drive it home. this now occurs any time i drive over 30mph no matter which mode i drive in or if i am using only electric saved up from mountain mode. driving in L seems to momentarily help. (i am using it to drive to auto parts stores and work still as it is my only vehicle). i have also gotten "engine not available" once.

i am trying to diagnose and repair myself to save money. i drive on gas since i have the permanent SHVCS, 120,000 miles, i have already replaced the spark plugs and the 12V battery as i know those are two big culprits for engine rattle and shutdown. has had recent oil and battery coolant change and the brake fluid looks in good condition.

Codes from my OBDII (the warnings for stibilitrak and brake assist went away after restart, may have had cleared codes): P1FFD, P0AC4,P1E00,P1604,P1FFF. will update if more codes arise, i know a couple of these are for SHVCS.

if i have missed anything that could be a quick fix or anyone has experienced this before and has a solution, i would greatly appreciate it.
The wiring patch may be the culprit giving you the SHVCS message. Look at the wiring patch for connection/corrosion problems:

I would replace the sensor with the WOT sensor while you are at it. You may, or may not, have to have the dealer reset things with his "special woohoo". I'm not sure why some people get bye with NOT having to get the dealer "special woohoo" in order to get up a running again. Luck of the Irish, maybe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts