GM Volt Forum banner

2011 Volt Charger Repaired with Pics

5101 Views 31 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  uchual
Ok guys, got a charger that was overheating the plug (wall to charger). Couldn't find any writeups on this except for the newer ones that actually have a cover that can be removed.

I had to pry off one side of the covers that act as way to keep your cord wrapped in place, then I had to dremel cut one side open. These are sealed and no other way to open it.

You can see the insulation flaking off the wires and is a definite fire hazard. I bought a heavy duty plug and has some spare pool light wiring which I believe is 14 guage. I used black plastic epoxy to seal it all back up. No easy task but she's back in operation and again and is now using the proper gauge wiring and no longer a fire hazard.

Electronics Electrical wiring Technology Electronic device Wire
Electronics Cable Technology Electronic device Wire
Wire Electrical wiring Cable Technology Auto part
View attachment 154533 Vehicle door Automotive mirror Rear-view mirror Vehicle Auto part
See less See more
1 - 3 of 32 Posts
WOW! That is pretty scary. Pretty sure the newer ones have better/heavier gauge wires.
Personally, given you had the unit open, I would have used 12 Gauge wire to be a bit safer. The burnt wires certainly do not look like 14 gauge. One question, did you use 12 Amp charging a lot or just 8 Amp? If only 8 Amp that is even more dangerous. Thanks for the photos.
That would be the charging rate that you are using. If you have not set it to 12 Amps, then it defaults to 8 Amps.
I run mine automatically at 12 Amps in my "Home" location.
If the wires burnt up at 8 Amps, that is a serious problem. I would call GM (not the local dealer) and check on warranty.
I would think that they would be have liability if there was a fire. Much like the $0.50 ignition switch fix, they held off on, that killed many people.
Usually the heat will cause the wire to look like it does, not a humidity problem. Usually cause by a poor connection and the heat backs up into the wire to overheat the wire and then burn the insulation.

So close to having a fire or a short circuit. Wonder how it ever got UL/CSA approval.
1 - 3 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.