GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in a need for new set of shocks all around on my daughters' 2011. I keep seeing this note " Prior to VIN# C4141111 "
What does that mean? Does it affect my BU VIN ?

Thanks!

Peter

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I have no clue.

But after 100k miles I've seen than "making rough movements in the cabin" after 8 years the car wobbles horrifically and most likely the struts are bit worn out and would need a replacement.

Any suggestion if I'd need a replace them?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Not exactly sure on the Volt, but many manufacturers use Monroes as OEM struts, just labeled as a Chevy part. Cant go wrong there. Monroe and KYB are pretty much all I've been able to find for the Volt without going the performance aftermarket route. I'd probably go with KYB's as they're also another OEM spec strut with a slightly better reputation than Monroe. Probably splitting hairs tho.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
If your Volt was built at CU141111 or earlier, you have to change the front springs along with the front struts. It doesn't affect the rear shocks. Just go with quick struts, which have the springs and bearings already assembled.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your Volt was built at CU141111 or earlier, you have to change the front springs along with the front struts. It doesn't affect the rear shocks. Just go with quick struts, which have the springs and bearings already assembled.
Thanks!. That answers my questions. My intention was to buy the "quick strut" option anyway - just wasn't sure if there was an "early special" that got changed during the first model year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts