GM Volt Forum banner

2011 tree crash, Airbags Deployed, broken bones

4042 Views 21 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  scottf200
Sorry for the clickbait title.

I have an original 2011 Chevy Volt and the car has been wonderful. No real problems for 96K miles.
This Friday I was driving down a road with a 50MPH speed limit. I remember not feeling well and the world closing in on me and the next thing I know I have hit a tree head-on with a police officer banging on my window. No drugs or alcohol involved. I ended up in the ICU for two days with a broken Hip , three broken ribs , a broken right ankle and a broken right shin bone (I assume from the airbag that deployed on it. I am 6ft 3in, so my legs are quite long. )

I wanted to say if it wasn’t for this car, I may not be alive today. The volt took all the impact (see attachment) and I suffered no major injuries besides the broken bones and a busted lip.

Thank you Chevy for creating such a safe car!
I am leaving the hospital tonight on my way to rehab for my legs.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Super Moderator
6,305 Posts
Wow, glad you are here to report back and you are mainly OK. Hope you have a speedy recover. I'm glad my kids drive such safe cars.

· Registered
2015 Red Volt
2,291 Posts
Good to hear you made it through this ordeal. I firmly believe that the Gen 1 Volt is one of the safest cars on the road today. I'm not going to lie to you--your rehab may be long and painful, but you will get through it. Stay positive and move forward. Good luck!

Reactions: splink

· Registered
121 Posts
WOW! That's really scary. I'm glad your Volt did its job and protected your life. I hope your recovery is as speedy as possible.

· Registered
1,792 Posts
The good thing is that you are okay even if you have a long road ahead. Unfortunately I don't believe that it'll just buff out. :eek:
Hoping you get another ride and hopefully back on the road once again after you get this all behind you. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far as recovery, I am walking now on one leg. I was able to get in and out of bed and use the restroom and shower on my own today. Physical Therapists estimate one week before I can leave full care facility and start doing regular physical therapy a few times a week.

I really am in awe on this cars safety.

I am going to not be driving for a couple months and was in the process of moving and selling my house, so I will have some extra money. I would buy another volt in a heart beat but, I will be going with a Tesla this time around.

· Registered
3,764 Posts

· Super Moderator
6,305 Posts
Yes I’m going to spring for the extra safety features. Auto pilot, auto break.
I do not need the ludacris mode for sure ;)
I feel/feel_for you in multiple ways. I had a pretty bad accident 3 years ago. That was in a Tesla and I replaced it with the same car. Just today I spent some money upgrading the 2 computer systems in my current Tesla (MCU (infotainment) and AutoPilot(FSD/HW3)) for several reasons but I *really* like the fact that faster computers respond to the potential accident situations quicker which I translate to safer. My wife and kids drive Volts and Teslas and I'm glad we are all in very safe cars. Crazy things happen.

You'd fit (6'3") nicely in a Model Y (or Model X). Lot of videos on a Model Y by a tall person on YouTube (i1Tesla). Figured you'd have time to watch videos.

· Registered
43 Posts
Haven't you already experienced enough auto breaks . . . wouldn't auto-braking be more of a benefit?
I think of all the times my collision avoidance warning goes off in my 2014 Volt. If it was slamming on the brakes every time this happened I'd be rear-ended for sure. That thing is super annoying and has so many false warnings that it's useless. Has been that way since day 1.

· Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
711 Posts
Our 2013 Premium would auto-brake in near-collision circumstances. Was this a base model Volt?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.