GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 volt that wouldn't start at all. I tried charging it with my home charger and it wouldn't take a charge. It was giving a code saying that the drive battery had a bad cell.
I dropped the battery out and tested all the individual cells and found 2 that were down to 2.7 volts when all the rest were at 3.4-3.6.
I think each cell has 3 pouch batteries in it.

I found these on Alibaba. Li-nmc Lithium Ion Pouch Cell Nmc 3.7v 50ah Rechargeable Battery Nmc Battery - Buy Nmc Cell,Battery Nmc Battery,3.7v 50ah Cell Product on Alibaba.com

Looks like I'm going to need 6 of them.

That should work right?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
The problem is battery chemistry. Model year 2011-2012 used P1.4 chemistry cells, 2012-2014 used P1.5 and 2015-up used P1.7. The Volt software is optimized for a particular chemistry which is why you can’t mix and match battery sections.
Who knows what chemistry is used by those Chinese cell packs?

·
Administrator
21,218 Posts
The problem is battery chemistry. Model year 2011-2012 used P1.4 chemistry cells, 2012-2014 used P1.5 and 2015-up used P1.7. The Volt software is optimized for a particular chemistry which is why you can’t mix and match battery sections.
I'm doubtful the OP's approach will work for the reason you point out JuneBug.

It's one reason GM is touting the mix and match capability of the new Ultium batteries.It overcomes the differences that prevent new/different cell chemistry;s from being used. I suspect replacements will still need to be sourced from GM though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can the Volt computer detect chemistry? Doesn't it just check the voltage?

I don't really need for it to be optimized. I just need to get it to work.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Can the Volt computer detect chemistry? Doesn't it just check the voltage?

I don't really need for it to be optimized. I just need to get it to work.
No. The Volt computer is programmed for whatever specific battery chemistry that was installed at the factory. Adding in a few cells with unknown charge/discharge rates would cause an imbalance that the computer may not be able to compensate for.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
It's one reason GM is touting the mix and match capability of the new Ultium batteries.It overcomes the differences that prevent new/different cell chemistry;s from being used. I suspect replacements will still need to be sourced from GM though.
I've no problem sourcing Ultium batteries from GM. The problems come when the technology shifts to Unobtainium batteries.

·
Administrator
21,218 Posts
I've no problem sourcing Ultium batteries from GM. The problems come when the technology shifts to Unobtainium batteries.
The issue with the Volt is you can't swap in 2023 cells into a 2011 for example whether you get them from GM, ebay, Rock Auto or an auto salvage yard.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a 2011 volt that wouldn't start at all. I tried charging it with my home charger and it wouldn't take a charge. It was giving a code saying that the drive battery had a bad cell.
I dropped the battery out and tested all the individual cells and found 2 that were down to 2.7 volts when all the rest were at 3.4-3.6.
I think each cell has 3 pouch batteries in it.

I found these on Alibaba. Li-nmc Lithium Ion Pouch Cell Nmc 3.7v 50ah Rechargeable Battery Nmc Battery - Buy Nmc Cell,Battery Nmc Battery,3.7v 50ah Cell Product on Alibaba.com

Looks like I'm going to need 6 of them.

That should work right?
Be sure to park it outside while charging and keep your local fire station phone number handy.

·
Registered
16,17 volt
1,214 Posts
got some more data
did a hard pass with 2 bars remaining on my 2016
full battery floored 339v at 360 amps = 46 ah with a 50v sag 3.53v per cell
2 bars remaining floored 289v at 395.7 amps= 63 ah with a 53v sag 3.01v per cell
best numbers would have been just before the engine fires up, not with 2 bars remaining

2016 volt cell
so a lithium polymer pouch cell 3.7v
127mm x 177mm x 6.35mm
max cell charge 4.2 v
min cell voltage 2.75 v
35 ah
max discharge 6c
max charge 1c
good ballpark specs to be looking for

for a gen 1 it would be a 25 ah
max discharge 8c

as i was poking around seems like the ultima battery is a solid state battery with a silicone anode or cathode

·
Registered
223 Posts
Only a matter of time before someone figures out a replacement cell group combo that can directly swap out the entire works in 1st gen volts, only needs to keep up with the charge/discharge specs, you can simulate/proxy the 'correct chemistry' voltages via the new BMS to feed the old BMS/HPCM2 system & keep the computers happy while keeping the GOM close to correct.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts