GM Volt Forum banner

2011 Quick question about driving in L

2787 Views 37 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  wordptom
Hello, all, new Volt owner here. (Edit to mention it's a 2011)

When driving in L, and letting off the acceleration to slow the car down- do the brake lights activate?
Having been rear ended in a bad accident in the past, I'm a bit more hypersensitive to the possibility.
Slowing down as much as the Volt can without using the brake pedal has me worried about catching other drivers off guard if there's no indication.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
357 Posts
I live where it grows cold and have found "L" to be scary on snowy or icy roads. I feel as if I don't have proper control of the vehicle.

Your tolerance might be higher than mine, but you might want to test it out in a slippery parking lot, so you know how the car reacts in those conditions.

· Registered
357 Posts
@MadVolt : Coasting in Neutral won't hurt the car. It just shuts off all the regen which is a good thing to do every once in a while, so you can use the friction brakes and keep them from rusting. Me? Every drive, the first stop is with the real brakes, to keep the surfaces fresh and everything operating as it should.

When you apply the brake pedal, you get assist unless it's a true panic stop, then the frictions come into play. I will, if I'm slowing from high speed to a stop, for let's say a light that's changed on a highway, shift to L and apply the brakes. The car slows much faster, then.

@uchual : It's strange how different people experience things differently. Being an old guy who's very used to manual transmissions and mechanical everything, when it's icy, I'll often put the Volt into neutral and slow using just the friction brakes. That "automagic" stuff like traction control and anti-skid brakes always feels like it's taking the control of the vehicle away from me, which is the point, I suppose, but I don't like. Yeah, the machine's faster responding than I am, but I'm not so sure it's smarter (though it probably is).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts