GM Volt Forum banner

2011 Quick question about driving in L

2787 Views 37 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  wordptom
Hello, all, new Volt owner here. (Edit to mention it's a 2011)

When driving in L, and letting off the acceleration to slow the car down- do the brake lights activate?
Having been rear ended in a bad accident in the past, I'm a bit more hypersensitive to the possibility.
Slowing down as much as the Volt can without using the brake pedal has me worried about catching other drivers off guard if there's no indication.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
141 Posts
Not on Gen 1. The deceleration supplied by Gen 1 L is below the threshold that requires lamp illumination. Gen 2 has a paddle that does illuminate the brake lights (most of the time) because it does supply enough deceleration, but L still doesn't for the same reason as Gen 1: it's not enough to be required. Only the service brake (the wide pedal) is required to illuminate any time it's applied, regardless of how deceleration is happening.

If you're worried about it, just use the wide pedal. You'll get all the regen you would with L using the wide pedal anyway (because the Volt's braking system is cleverer that Some Others We Could Mention), and you'll already have your foot in the right place in case you suddenly need MORE braking. Like hidden ice, suicidal squirrel, bump that sets off the traction control, etc.
That's odd, because if I'm in L and I completely lift the "Torque Request Pedal" HAHA, my brake lights illuminate. 2016 Gen2.

· Registered
141 Posts
Yes, you have a GEN 2. As you can see from the first sentence of his reply, "not on Gen 1". The lights also illuminate on ELR.
Not on Gen 1. The deceleration supplied by Gen 1 L is below the threshold that requires lamp illumination. Gen 2 has a paddle that does illuminate the brake lights (most of the time) because it does supply enough deceleration, but L still doesn't for the same reason as Gen 1: it's not enough to be required. Only the service brake (the wide pedal) is required to illuminate any time it's applied, regardless of how deceleration is happening.
As you can see from continued reading of the reply.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts